Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Good talk on blocks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 am 

This is a great write up by Jeff Brooks...well worth your read.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=542

Post subject: Re: Good talk on blocks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:29 pm 

Great article thanks Van 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:47 pm 

Yes, Robb...a very well written article that make sense.
Quote:
The second misunderstanding about blocks – and the more common one – is that blocks are interceptions. That is “blocks are like anti-missile techniques.”

It is as if people who teach defending this way actually believe that you can perceive the incoming technique, process the information and respond decisively and accurately to it. You can’t. No matter how good you are if you are reacting to the opponent’s decision making, if you allow your opponent the initiative in the fight, however briefly, they will quickly outpace your ability to keep responding.

The reactive reflex arch is too long. You can pull this off in choreographed or predictable technique exchanges; and you may be able to do it where attack zones are limited (in sport matches where no attacks are allowed below the belt or to the back does set up a situation in which you have a highly predictable and relatively easily defendable target region.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 pm 

Quote:
Certainly it is essential to gain the initiative in the interaction immediately or at least as rapidly as possible. If we move properly in response to incoming force it is possible to simultaneously (in a single movement)

1. Reroute the incoming energy past our target region,
2. Reposition our body just outside the range of attack,
3. Off balance the opponent,
4. Damage the opponent’s attacking personal weapon (limb), and
5. Execute a counter and/or set up a counter attack that is launched without any extra motion of your body.

To do this we have to understand the use of the full body in movement. If we move the body as parts – an arm here, a step there – we will not maximize our ability to move effectively.

The means of moving the body as a fully integrated system utilizes the three components of koshi – the ability to move in a whip-like, helical form by rotating from the center, compression – drawing the body toward the center point and then exploding force outward, and using the arches of the body – integrated flows of energy and body architecture which connect the whole body in a resilient unified structure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:21 pm 

Though the content of this article is not new to me it's not so much we need to be taught as we need to be reminded......
I based my class on this last night ....lol....thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm 

Great points Van. The whole idea of blocking sometimes gets confused with "Defending". That is why I treat blocks just like any other strike. You are correct in your view of acting vs. reacting. Blocks in kata should be done just like the strikes in that kata. There is no need to block when you act rather than react. "It's better to hit than be hit". That has always been my philosophy. -----Art

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 am 

Right on my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 pm 

Jeff Brooks
Quote:
In karate it is this kind of deep, austere training that allows an understanding of the deeper levels of the art: of tuite (grappling), kyshojutsu (point strikes), atifa (power transmission) and dynamic tai sabaki (body shifting).

This high level of sophistication in the use of the body is very rare to find, and very valuable. And it’s fun. It also forms the heart of kata practice.

With all the insights, all the discoveries, all the connections, all the ways in which kata come to life, it is not a matter of "innovations." It is a matter of dissolving the obstructions to understanding in the transformative heat of practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 pm 

Do not let yourself get confused with the type of block you should use. Blocking a high, middle, low attack. Blocks for kicks . Blocks for punches. HEY! there really is only a couple of blocking strikes that are needed. You'll get your head taken off trying to figure out what block to use. I can't really get into explaining how to handle attacks in general here on this forum. With proper hand and arm position, and a good understanding of seisan jamming leg blocks, you'll handle just about all attacks. Practice is , of course, needed here. I go over this on my web site somewhat. Now that I think of it, I should have spent more time on this situation. OK - I've got a video I'm doing shortly. I'll go over this. Tough to demonstrate these blocking strikes though. They really do a job on the incoming limbs. I'll have to figure out a way to show it without taking someone to the E.R. Get er done. -----Happy Trails-------Art

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:31 am 

Position cover entry

does block come into it ?

a way to enter behind a cover relevant to position and entering on receiving force , receiving force uke ... uke not block receive ......

if you don't get your block , its because you don't get your position or your entry , the cover is the move , the postion makes it make sense , and the entry takes advantage of the two.

deep is another conversation , and its usually code for I didn't get this bs for ages , and now I know the simple truth but no-one can hear me :) , wish they'd told me (probably did)

Rorys golden move comes to mind ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 am 

Solid post Marcus...on the other thread I posted this:

It might be best to think of what is taught as blocking moves in kata or drills as follows:

1. As 'sweep/entry' movements_

2. As shielding/protective movements, especially after taking a hit and becoming stunned knowing there is more to come.

3. As pivot points for angling the opponent.

When you think of the most common ways we can be attacked, like pushes/shoves/sucker punches etc. the wauke moves in Uechi can fire to smother, sweep and open entry tunnels while striking at the same time with the hands, elbows, knees and low kicks…what the kata is made of.
Here's the golden rule you mentioned
Quote:
My standard for any combative motion, for a long time, has been the Golden Move:
Every single motion should:

1. Injure the threat
2. Protect yourself
3. Improve your position
4. Worsen the threat’s position

That’s every single motion. Because it is easier to teach, many martial artists learned to strike (injure the threat) or unbalance (worsen the threat’s position); learned to block or evade (protect yourself); and learned footwork (better your position, sometimes worsen the threat’s)– but almost all learned them as three separate things.

So you get the stereotypical martial artist who blocks a punch, steps to the correct angle and fires his counterpunch. Taking three moves. Which generally only works in demos where the partner (not a threat) stands still after the block. Offense, defense and motion were never supposed to be separated in the students head or, gods forbid, in the motion of a person who desperately needs efficiency. But it is easier to teach and easier to evaluate than integrated motion.

So, the Gold standard is one move with four effects (and good jujutsu gets more than that with multiple types of damage)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:56 am 

I agree Van , perfectly put , the pivot point is the violence , the collision , most spend there whole time avoiding this point rather than realising this point and using the cover/pivot.

And Rory point is good its as one , I call it layering , I want as many things that work in one movement as I can

If I can layer six things that work into one move , then if three or four fail , I still win .....

Moves must get beyond the static one at a time drills

Like Scott Sonnon mentioned about riding a bike , at first we can barely stay balanced , then somehow we find ourselves riding , carrying grocerys , and waving to the neighbour all at once , but it's just riding the bike .

it is not advanced moves but sophistication of moves . Or simplicity , I watched Arts take on using the bit you need on his website and just getting to it , many cant see the simple in the complex , or vice-versa because the intent is missing from the act. This to me is hitting the pivot.

Now this kind of exploring and evolving this is training , conciousness and skills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 am 

For me it is tactically hard to reconcile the concept of 'our style is a defensive karate style' being preached in dojo, and even the concept of every beginning move of a karate kata always starts with a 'block'… the nature of kata being defending against an attack by letting the attacker strike first, redirecting the attack and following it up with a counter attack of your own...and so on.

The critical question to address for anyone defending against an attack should always be "when did the fight actually start?"

When it gets to exchanging blows, an aggression continuum is the best answer in almost every possible situation. Passive or defensive mindset almost always gets one overrun. We see this in every dash cam video you see of cops being beat up, the single event that every one of them will have is the cop backing up, or defending, or trying to block while the aggressor runs over him and takes dominance.

We also see this in tournament fighting where the passive fighter usually loses the match.

The very worst thing you can do in a street fight is to give your opponent the freedom of getting off first and get you to react to his attacks instead of the other way around.

If an attack is imminent the law is on your side if you pre-empt it. The mindset of backing up, to defend … sets you in the idea of defending…and this leads you to getting overrun by an opponent with a mindset that is superior to yours in regard to winning a fight.

There is data from actual conflicts that gives credence to the idea that pressing the fight in combative situations is a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 am 

There is something to be said about the best defense being a good offense.

When we think of defending/blocking...always keep in mind that ... Action is always faster than reaction, especially when you won't be able to tell what will be thrown at you... don't end up behind the 8-ball in an encounter.

But be sure you can articulate the reasons for your pre-emptive striking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 am 

A good offense is a good defense would be a better statement .

blocking isnt understood becuase its used passively , have your shot then I get a turn because I block .....

I was watching George the other day some clip were he was talking about the effecitveness of uechi kata and how he said 90% of people only do there kata as a ritual .....

Rushing through and not really getting into it...

Same with blocking , its for the ritual and then we fight differently. If we fight at all

when you should be fighting from the kata.... But then we see what we train in the drills right ? block take a turn strike etc ..... fresh eyes sometimes..... You need to get Rory in to tell you about the golden move , the golden moves in the katas......

Block eh not so much position cover entry , being good and tough and just effective , it's not a crime ;) , people tend to be so busy looking at fighting from some highbrow dojo ritual position they miss the basics. Get in there Son !!!

To be honest it's not often done as a fighting system , its a training system , but your training ritual , not fighting , the fight has for the most part been removed.

to quote George again

Quote:
the further we go away from the original intent of the training and the less effective is our training the more and more safe it becomes , and in the process the less effective it becomes .....

now what was the original intent of the block , to buy time , negate an attack , or to enter on force and overhwelm ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtOQxVcbQ1Q

lots of better ways to train out there that make lots of sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next