Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: All Is In The three
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm 

Gem's second book, Uechi Ryu Karate do, page 309 ...fourth paragraph...line three
Quote:
When queried about the number of kata in Uechi Ryu, Kanei replied " We could form hundreds of kata, but for what purpose.

All is in the three.

So which is it...All is in Sanchin or all is in the three??

Why would Kanei Sensei not instead say 'All is in Sanchin' ??

Let's have some fun with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm 

All is in the three. Some styles have many kata. Some do not. The three main kata , sanchin, sei san, san sei ryu, contain all that is needed in uechi ryu. For power and foundation, sanchin is what is needed. Sei san has the middle level of stances, blocks, and strikes. San sei ryu has the more advanced level of movements , angles, and strikes. My own personal workout only contains these three kata and some heavy bag work. I think Master Uechi meant that adding more kata really is not needed. All other kata is simply fillers as you go from rank to rank. It keeps us all busy working all the other kata. That being the case is OK, as long as sanchin is stressed in all the other kata. I think that is what the term "all is in the three" refers to. That is very good insight Van. It is a good topic to discuss. Thanks for throwing it out there. ------- Art

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

Regarding my last reply on this topic. Sanchin is very important but the other kata are also. My meaning is that sanchin should be the major element in all kata. I love to work kata, all the kata. "All is in the three" is a great saying. It makes you wonder if there is a hidden meaning somewhere. I think Van, you will get others who see something else in "all is in the three". All my pencils have erasers, and I could be way off. I told you that you were a very good writer. "All is in the three" sounds like a mystery title. I think you should write one. I'd pay to see it. ---------Art

Post subject: Re: All Is In The three
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:53 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:40 am 

8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm 

Here's where we see the critical connection between the foundational power base of Sanchin and the sophistication of the Uechi style through advanced kata.

Great job here by Mr. Rabesa.

Quote:
Bringing the power and foundation of sanchin to the uechi ryu katas is of utmost importance. Without it you have nothing more than arms and legs moving air. Sanchin power base, will enable you to move freely, with great stability, throughout the kata. To plant each step, and settle into each stance, will enable you to slide through the movements.

When blocking, or striking from sanchins power base, you will find that your kata takes on a different look. Each movement is crisper and strong. Your stances are very solid. Moving into the next movement becomes quicker and easier. Katas shouldn’t be rushed, however, you will find that you are getting through the kata quicker. Take all the aspects of sanchin, and perform all katas the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:38 pm 

Quote:
Station to station

Something I see when watching some kata, is the lack of sanchin moving from one position to another. When moving from station to station, one must take the power base with them. In doing this, you will have the powerful kata you seek. This sanchin power base must hold strong throughout the entire kata.

The power base is never needed more than when you are moving from one stance to another. Here is where you can close the gaps in your kata.

That same feeling you develop in sanchin, is the same feeling you want throughout the kata.

Attack each movement. Work hard in getting everything moving and finishing, in one piece.Your kata is quicker because of the power base and the solid planting of the feet.

The one piece movements will coordinate limbs and body to begin, and end, at the same time. This is what closes the gaps from movement to movement.

You are taking sanchin and moving it through your kata. Strong stances with solid foundations. Quick, strong strikes coming right from the power base. Your kata training might become your favorite part of the workout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:41 pm 

Here is a great example of Uechi sophistication:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=11 ... =2&theater