Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 30251
You should be feeling pretty good my friend. God bless you.

_________________
Van


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Good for you. . .
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:17 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 1998 6:01 am
Posts: 6011
Location: Mount Dora, Florida
Keep up the good work!

_________________
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 4:43 pm
Posts: 585
Location: London, Ontario
Agreed - good work!

_________________
Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Jason Rees wrote:
I'm enjoying the class very much. :) Thank you for asking!
Some challenges involving transportation and shift work, but nothing wrong with the class itself. I'm just starting, but I'm ahead of the curve a little, since I already have Aikido and Judo training. I've been told falls and such usually take the longest to learn.

It's not spoken of very kindly on Bullshido, but what is? :lol:


How do you find aikido integrating with your judo training? Anything that stands out in your mind?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
Thanks, guys!

Ahmed: my Aikido training was waaaaay back in 1999-2000, when I was learning Uechi from John Van DeLaare(sp). Judo only a couple years ago. I've forgotten most of the formal things I learned in Aikido, so nothing really stands out, no.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Jason Rees wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Ahmed: my Aikido training was waaaaay back in 1999-2000, when I was learning Uechi from John Van DeLaare(sp). Judo only a couple years ago. I've forgotten most of the formal things I learned in Aikido, so nothing really stands out, no.


Just want to see how legit the critiques of bullshido was compared to a less...subjective opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
AAAhmed46 wrote:
Jason Rees wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Ahmed: my Aikido training was waaaaay back in 1999-2000, when I was learning Uechi from John Van DeLaare(sp). Judo only a couple years ago. I've forgotten most of the formal things I learned in Aikido, so nothing really stands out, no.


Just want to see how legit the critiques of bullshido was compared to a less...subjective opinion.


Bullshido's pretty harsh with alot of martial arts. I've met formidable Aikidokas, and some who were decidedly not formidable. Judoka of any level above yellow seem to be able to take a beating of sorts and keep on going... Judo's rather rough. If you go with the flow in Aikido, it's not.

In a high-stress situation, with lack of a reliable degree of fine motor skills... I don't know how much of Aikido would be effective. Aikido gets alot of grief for not being effective in MMA... but considering that most Aikido techniques are illegal in MMA... but why would they make moves that 'don't work' illegal? Oh, right, because they can cause injury. Except that they don't work, so how could they cause injury... yeah, doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, MMA is a poor judge of Aikido, for that reason.

No matter what style, it's the artist, and not the art. At least, that's how I see it.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Jason Rees wrote:
AAAhmed46 wrote:
Jason Rees wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Ahmed: my Aikido training was waaaaay back in 1999-2000, when I was learning Uechi from John Van DeLaare(sp). Judo only a couple years ago. I've forgotten most of the formal things I learned in Aikido, so nothing really stands out, no.


Just want to see how legit the critiques of bullshido was compared to a less...subjective opinion.


Bullshido's pretty harsh with alot of martial arts. I've met formidable Aikidokas, and some who were decidedly not formidable. Judoka of any level above yellow seem to be able to take a beating of sorts and keep on going... Judo's rather rough. If you go with the flow in Aikido, it's not.

In a high-stress situation, with lack of a reliable degree of fine motor skills... I don't know how much of Aikido would be effective. Aikido gets alot of grief for not being effective in MMA... but considering that most Aikido techniques are illegal in MMA... but why would they make moves that 'don't work' illegal? Oh, right, because they can cause injury. Except that they don't work, so how could they cause injury... yeah, doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, MMA is a poor judge of Aikido, for that reason.

No matter what style, it's the artist, and not the art. At least, that's how I see it.



These days Bullshido seems to have alot of very pro-judo themes. But yes, i know what you mean. You should ahve seen the wing chun debate days.... 8O And aikido got it even worse.

Recently, they have been really coming down hard on '52 blocks'. Which is strange, considering it isn't a very centralized system yet. Some of it looks like JKD, other times it looks like hybrid boxing. Seems each group on youtube does 52 differently. As it should be.

I find aikido is like any other marital art: A skillset, that focusses on specific things. It seems grappling in wrestling has a different intent from Aikido.

It's like comparing knife fighting to swordsmanship. Both blades, different tactics(okay im sure there is a better example out ther, but doesn't come to mind)

Im surprised more people don't view it like that.




Individual>training method> Style.

On bullshido, they often attack Aikido as a style, but their arguements on aikido stem mostly from how it is trained rather than the techniques.

And from what i have read from 'angry white pajamas' or whatever it's called, it seems, Aikido can either be a bunch of hippies with magic pants, or a bunch of scary angry men dressed in pajamas.

(I don't agree with some of the actions described in that book by teachers, but it gives a picture of aikido not often seen)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:42 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
It's been a rough week.

A guy in his 20s who broke his back falling 100 feet straight down at terminal velocity in a freak accident, after jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft with a perfectly functioning parachute.

A junior high girl who came in with suicidal ideations because they've been bullied their whole life, thinks they're homosexual, and is mad as hell at their parents for always living in 'Republican states.'

Another military member who came to us with a slit throat. He did it himself. He wasn't hurt too badly... until he started cussing out the nurse. Eventually he swung at one of our people... and was immediately dropped to the floor by a nurse, a tech, and a physician's assistant (the nurse is a big guy; the PA a guy who trains in MMA; the tech is a former cop). Security forces arrived in time to see the shuffle on the ground and take over, the patient already well under wraps. I saw the whole thing happen from the other side of the ER. I'd been told to stand in front of the exit, in case they made a run for it.

A late-stage cancer patient, bleeding in stomach and bowels. I spent all afternoon with this patient. I couldn't work in a cancer ward: I can handle blood and guts, bones, brains and deformities, even a decapitation. People who are dying slowly and painfully? I'm a wimp.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 30251
You have a tough job, Jason..but thankfully there are people like you out there.

Quote:
A guy in his 20s who broke his back falling 100 feet straight down at terminal velocity in a freak accident, after jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft with a perfectly functioning parachute.


You mean this guy actually jumped out of a plane with a chute...100 feet above ground...and actually thought the chute would deploy?

Who owned the plane, who was the pilot, and what was the intented reason of the flight? :?

_________________
Van


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 30251
Individual>training method> Style.

Yes...let's take George Seagal's aikido for example...

_________________
Van


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
Van Canna wrote:

You mean this guy actually jumped out of a plane with a chute...100 feet above ground...and actually thought the chute would deploy?

Who owned the plane, who was the pilot, and what was the intented reason of the flight? :?


My bad for not being more clear.

It was a normal jump, from a normal elevation as such things go. It wasn't until 100ft or so in elevation that a gust of wind placed the unfortunate soul directly over another's chute, thereby eliminating air drag, forcing the collapse of his own chute, and his precipitous descent.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving up in Life
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
Just completed my practicals. It'll be official in about ten days, but I've now passed my EMT III for the state of Alaska. I've added ECG interpretation and several cardiac drugs to my scope of practice. Now I'm stress-free for a few days.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving up in Life
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 30251
Congratulations :D

_________________
Van


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving up in Life
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
Work. It seemed for a while that it was all I was doing. I kept shrinking my daily activities until there was nothing left but work…

But I finally got some leave and put it to good use. My wife and I went up to Denali National Forest, enjoyed nature for a couple days; drove on up to Fairbanks and checked out the sights there; travelled north to the Chena Hot Springs and enjoyed the outdoor thermal pool there; went whitewater rafting down the Nanana River (Class III and IV rapids); and finally picked up the kids and went camping next to a glacier and climbed up into the heights above.

Life is good.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group