Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Y2K Preparedness
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 1999 11:01 pm 

Doctor X ,

You may ! I would suggest reinforcing the belt with steel wire to better hold the weight of the sarcophagus !

David ,

You are correct ! With an opponent like him , mind set is all anyone would be left with !

The problem with most martial artists today is that they become so brainwashed with their own 'prowess' , especially if they have trained overseas for a few years , that they truly believe that opponents like Josh do not exist , that they are the figments of an overactive imagination of the ' lesser - kas ' whose training and lineage is ' questionable' !

Then when they suddenly find themselves up against their " Executioner" , their brain shuts down in denial and their techniques of doom 'slip under the waves' in disbelief as they freeze awaiting the hammer of Thor !

I observed this phenomenon well back in the 60's when some of the self proclaimed ' tough guys of karate ' eventually ended up against Ed Daniels , the "king Kong" of karate from Texas ; six foot eight inches and 275 lb. . ! Could not help but laugh when some of them , after taking a tremendous beating , would walk up to a mirror in the changing room , patting and looking at themselves while straightening up their gis , in disbelief at their reflection in the glass ! I guess they wanted to make sure it was still them inside those gis and not their alter scampering self who had just shaken hands with the devil and who was to blame for having taken such a pounding , leaving them bleeding and crushed in body and spirit !

Even funnier is the fact that there are people just as tough or tougher than Josh___ without karate or martial arts training , who would have most karate-ka for lunch any day of the week !

Now imagine meeting A Josh Wiseman or Ed Daniels in a dark alley perhaps brandishing a weapon !

Then have a chuckle , imagining to be a fly on dojo walls , next week when the 'lineage' senseis go into damage control , i.e., rationalization process with their panicky students to convince them it was the 'other dojos' fighters ' who would have such a problem with Josh , not their own , assuming they had been there !

There goes one man with a true killer instinct ! How would any of you prepare to take such a man down in the streets ??

If Josh would allow you a free first shot , punch or kick or pressure point strike , would you feel comfortable you could stop him from launching a counter that would put you in the hospital for a few weeks ??

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 1999 11:41 pm 

Not to add fuel to the fire - but Sensei Josh Wiseman is the reason that I became involved in Uechi-ryu, so I feel obligated to jump into this thread.

I'm offering the following not as an apology for his sparring behavior, but as an insight to his level of martial arts skill:

1. This was Sensei Wiseman's first point sparring tournament. He usually fights in Vale Tudo (no rules, no protective gear) events, and wins many more than he loses.

2. He is the only person that I know who has been disqualified from a Vale Tudo event (the finals) for being too dangerous. It happened last winter ('98) at an event in Maine.

3. What I witnessed on Saturday was a fighter returning to what he knows best - Vale Tudo-style fighting. Certainly out of place in a point sparring tournament, but when push comes to shove, most of us will revert to what we know best.

Out of the ring, he is the most humble and congenial person that you will ever meet. In the ring; enter at your own risk. He only knows how to fight to win.

I personally would not answer Sensei Canna's call to walk the labyrinth of the Brockton dojo in the dark waiting for Josh to pummel me - I've been on the receiving end of his "mild/controlled" techniques in both Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Uechi-ryu karate classes and they hurt enough!

PS David - I apologize for calling you by the wrong last name during yesterday's matches. Kind of hard to mess up three letters, but I couldn't read the other person's writing Image

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 05-23-99).]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 1999 11:57 pm 
Steven,

Sensei Weisman is a big tough dude. He is definitely an animal -- meant as a compliment -- because in some circles that is what it takes.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 1999 1:30 am 
Site Admin

I don't know Josh, but from what I've heard, he is a real gentleman and not someone who will attack you on the street or anywhere else outside a ring with a willing opponent.

Believe I read a recent post on the real scumbags who look for victims to assault or rob. Don't they look for weak targets, rather than engaging in a real fight with an opponent who will put up any kind of resistance?

Doesn't sound like Josh to me.

------------------
GEM

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 1999 1:47 am 

Sensei Mattson - I agree! He is a gentleman outside of the ring, and although a tough task-master, he is also great person to train with and I am proud that he is one of my instructors.

Just wanted to clarify my previous post - I joined Uechi-ryu to train WITH him.

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 1999 2:52 am 

Steven,

I hope there isn't a "fire" here that we are adding "fuel" to. I'm not interested in that.

Anyone who witnessed Josh Wiseman in action will have no doubts about his fighting ability. I also don't think he was being intentionally rough, rather as you stated he reverted back to form, for a venue he trained more extensively in than the one he participated in yesterday. A problem existed in so much as the other competitors were ready for a different type of competition with a different set of rules than what Josh reverted to. That's why in another thread I mentioned he needed to train in "sparring skills and control" related to this type of venue and not to "no holds bar" type. Likewise, I generally trained with a more boxing like approach with jabs, hooks, crosses and head contact. But, these clearly were not allowed and most of the other competitors were not expecting such. I had to make my adjustments, in order to "compete", by pulling as much as possible to the head, using backhands instead of jabs and a ridgehand instead of a hook. But, that's what I signed in for on dotted line.

I think we need to be clear that competition is not the "real thing". It has a set of rules. When we enter we accept those rules. If we are talking self-defense that's a whole other ball of Sh^t. The skilled competitor and even a street fighter have an advantage but they aren't quaranteed to win. Mindset and luck have as much to with it as anything else. This is what I know to be true.

I think you can learn a lot from Wiseman sensei and you made a good choice based hopefully on a clear understanding on what you want to get out of your training. You are clearly very happy with your training, so I think you made the right choice. Image

Regarding mangling my name, I really didn't notice. I am a big name mangler myself. My son often corrects me. Image

BTW, reverting to the original intent of this thread. Yes. I am preparing for Y2K only in so much as storing probably a month's worth of drinking water, food, coleman's fuel and stove, some batteries, cash. I have two shotguns, a 22 rifle and ammo for these. But, I don't anticipate using these. I don't right now anticipate doing anything "tactically" different on the streets than what I do now. Of course, reality of Y2K may change that.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited 05-23-99).]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 1999 4:23 am 

I am glad that the real lesson here is beginning to sink in , lotus eaters and ' lineage morons' be damned ! Right now lots of them are contemplating / clutching their black belts on the altar of their minds flickering in the dance of votive candlelight !

The thing is that Josh taught a very valuable lesson to us all i.e., he practices and 'fights' Uechi Ryu perhaps the way it was intended to work from the start ! If you watch the tapes of the Okinawan Championships { Gary won 3rd place } You will see much the same thing in spite of 'rules' __ recall that full power kicks to the head were allowed ___ and you will see some spectacular knock outs and leg shots take downs similar to the ones displayed by Josh this Saturday ! Definitely wimps need not apply !

It is my intention to cultivate champions such as Josh to the fullest extent possible ; I have talked about this to Gary in hopes of scouting the countryside for similar awesome fighters to put together an American team Uechi to take down to Okinawa some day and finally earn the respect of the Okinawan 'ringers' sent out to humble and decimate the Americans ; I can guarantee you we will then be treated as equals ! Even as Gary sensei puts it " We are better than the new generation Okinawan yondans and Godans because we are bigger and stronger and some of us train just as hard if not harder than they do " To which I say __ Amen brother !

What I told Gary I would like to develop , is a group of elite Uechi fighters who would train to fight within our Uechi Tournament in a separate division along similar lines of Vale -tudo rules , in a round robin format so as to come up with an awesome "team America" to bring down to Okinawa and 'play the game' The way I know it can be played with a mindset other than going down in a bent over 'ass kissing' position ! We could make this the focal point of future summer camps if too awesome a display for the regular point tournament !

And get this straight , my intention is not to go down to beat up the Okinawans , but to earn their respect which is still an evanescent thought in their minds whether you accept it or not __ and some of you never will , deep in denial !

As to the self defense equation , David is of course correct ! Remember that self defense is a force continuum concept driven by a certain mindset that needs to be instilled continuously by teachers and by discussions , specialized seminars not on techniques but on mindset skills as well as by "self Hypnosis" such as the following and espousing the principles of this forum ! Josh's karate is that very important force continuum concept / link missing in 95% of today's dojo ! He is fighting close to the rules of the 60's and 70's ; watch the tapes of the old tournaments !

Anything less is pure hokum and the day of reckoning will come for some of you guys who advertise " Self defense " in your yellow pages and local newspapers !! It has already come for some of you 'elitists' reading these pages right now of Josh's performance which is striking terror in your hearts ; and no , you never will go up against a man like him , not willingly that is ; you are already climbing back into your cocoon clutching your extra long black belts and your teachers certificate you paid hundreds of dollars for !

And again , remember that there are a great number of Josh Wisemans running about loose in our society without his gentlemanly restraint ___ and without any martial arts training , but just as dangerous !

------------------
Van Canna