Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Standards...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 pm 

Stevie B wrote:
Yes..My goal since I was a White belt was to break 2 boards with a Kokushiken as I witnessed Kiyohide Sensei perform at a Koshukai one year... Because Mark taught me a better way to form my weapon, I can now break 3 boards with a kokushiken (not that it matters, but just a personal goal)...

I understand that this was just offered as a random example, but I'm curious. Can you (or Mark, doesn't matter to me), explain further? This would be something useful to know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:54 pm 

It's all about the thumb placement... Hard to see from the video.. But look closely.. At first my thumb is relaxed to draw speed.. Then at the last split second I draw it tight agaist the fingers.. There should be a small ridge on top of muscle protruding up It is best to get Mark to actually show you sometime so he can point out what I mean as far as the flexing.. Anyway that's about it.. That and finger alignment and years and years of conditioning..
Other than that, it's just having the cojones to follow through with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3nnVwu4Mk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 pm 

Here is Kiyohide Sensei performing the break.. We did this at Zakimi Castle in 2001 (in case anyone wondered about the background) His fingers have been broken before, so don't really count that, but the action is lose to tight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUa9nSTu ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 pm 

Thanks, Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm 

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 pm 

slan·der–noun
1. defamation; rumors full of slander.
1. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.

Robby and GEM

1. GEM, did you hear that????

I do believe my slander meter just went off

2. Robb

Check a mirror and also your sources.... 8O

GOT ya!!!!

I will speak to my Student the LAWYER on this one!!!

The usual bunk GEM... Say your worried about slandering someones rep and you let it happen... but I expected that at this site, as I said before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 am 

Well what a nice surprise ~!@## .... My old PC data became corrupted...had to go out buy a new PC...have what could be salvaged from the hard drive recovered .... but only in a limited way.

And now I open this thread and see all this mess. Very saddened by it all to say the least.

I'll try to keep this as short and as clear as possible, reflecting my views as a Uechi student of long tenure_ and my responsibilities as a moderator of an open forum hosting the very volatility of human nature.

1. The rules of my forum are reflected here:

http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?t=10280

~~
I wrote
Quote:
I would prefer that the guests use good manners and common courtesy with one another in arguing their points of views. Because of human nature, this is not always possible, and when it happens I encourage the ‘players’ to resolve any differences amongst themselves first.

From time to time I will step in and take whatever action I see fit to resolve animosities. Fairness in the way I choose to do it has no bearing on decisions, so please don’t waste my time with allegations of unfair treatment, and cries of ‘censorship’ __

This forum is not about personal attacks, style attacks, and accreditation attacks.

You do that and several things will happen:

1. You will be banned without explanation and your post deleted.

2.If you are counterattacked, I may decide to let it stand, in which case it is matter of “reaping what you sow”

3. You get personal with any of us, and you will be gone, your posting privileges taken away without explanation.

It is my prerogative to delete any postings that have the potential for acrimony simply in an attempt to keep the peace and promote courtesy and respect with one another. This should be easy to understand.

Well...case in point...I delete the first thread...then start another in the way of explanation...and look where it got us...at one another's throats.

Human nature rearing it's ugly head, again and again. Very sad. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 am 

From an earlier thread of mine……

Quote:
TMA vs. MMA
I was lead to this thread because of the candid dialogue regarding TMA vs. MMA and its effects on the schools and it has seemed to broaden to include but certainly not limited to “TMA” and the benefits of “Cross Training”.

Firstly, the wealth of talent, contributions and commitment to the “Uechi Community” is what continues to drive this and other forums on this site.

Thank you Sensei Mattson, moderators and contributors. I say don’t change a thing…we are all seemingly mature, relatively rational adults able to form our own opinions and freely verbalize our perspectives…this is why this site is great for a student like myself.

Certainly not to oversimplify the contributions of this thread and those of its predecessor “Huh?” nor would I suggest to be in a position of authority…. but really it seems to be a direct result of the “student’s interpretations”….

Quote:
As stated previously somewhere within this thread, I believe by Sensei Canna

“ once you make such views public…. you must expect reactions from passionate people”

Mine again...

Quote:
In some respects I compare my Uechi life to that of my professional life…. as a third generation residential contactor I maintain the same values instilled from my youth and remain steadfast in applying and enforcing those traditional principals to our everyday business practices with our staff and everyone affiliated with our projects while delivering a product, which we can all be proud of.

What was popular by design as I came into this business has changed considerable however the principals “remain steadfast”.

This has been my contribution…ramblings…and I am not sure why I have weighed in but there you have it….

Kyoshi Mark

Quote:
slan•der–noun
1. defamation; rumors full of slander.
1. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.

Robby and GEM

1. GEM, did you hear that????

I do believe my slander meter just went off

2. Robb

Check a mirror and also your sources....

GOT ya!!!!

I will speak to my Student the LAWYER on this one!!!

The usual bunk GEM... Say your worried about slandering someones rep and you let it happen... but I expected that at this site, as I said before.

Sorry last one of mine...

Quote:
I am honored to say I am a student of Sensei Maloney…. Again, from an earlier thread of mine….
Sensei Maloney has "IT" and has remained steadfast in his commitment to the way of Uechi… and the Uechi family… he has remained Core Uechi, he has helped produced more Canadian champions than any other trainer in Canadian ring history, Pro ranks…boxing, kick boxing, tournaments at every level and occasionally through disqualification for being a bit excessive

Some of you may be surprised to know tuition at Sensei Maloney’s Dojo’s or Boxing Club is to abstain for alcohol, drugs or nicotine…. This is the price of admission… access to some of the best training available and the fee is self preservation…

“IT”??

A phenomenal fighter, a true friend to those whom have had the privilege, an ambassador and ombudsman to his community, a Uechi Practitioner whom has remained focus on exploring his own art, challenging elements of the methodology adapting to an every changing violent society, never abandoning his belief in a system for that of popularity or for the purpose of meeting a financial goal set….

In closing; I am Canadian, I have had the privilege of training with Sensei George Mattson, Sensei Van Canna and Sensei Robb Buckland….

Kyoshi Mark, we have not met BUT I would suggest this site is invaluable to students like myself and I would further suggest the thought of engaging your student lawyer is simply silly….and a little child like…

Sorry Sensei Canna… my apologies if I have contributed to this mess… it was not my intent.

Shane Kirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 am 

2. Even though no names were mentioned in the criticism of an American living in Okinawa being promoted to 9th Dan prematurely...there was enough information posted with clear implications pointing to the only person widely known to befit such written words.

The problem here is that by allowing such implications to be aired on my forum, it places me in an uncomfortable defensive situation by providing a 'stage' for possible libelous allegations.

This person has been in communication with me and has stated that, had the persons concerned about this possible wrongdoing on his part, simply written to him asking for an explanation, would have been the reasonable thing to do, and he would have promptly responded with information and documentation.

In all fairness I think the individual would be entitled to this much...a chance to present his side of the story.

I blame myself here, Mark, for not have contacted you first before deleting, to appraise you of all this...certainly no offense was intended to nix your thread. I know you would have understood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 am 

Quote:
This person has been in communication with me and has stated that, had the persons concerned about this possible wrongdoing on his part, simply written to him asking for an explanation, would have been the reasonable thing to do, and he would have promptly responded with information and documentation.

I have done just that to fulfill my obligation for an attempt at dispute resolution ...and more on this later...depending upon the direction this thread might be headed.

Let us try to approach this as reasonable men. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 am 

Shane,

Not a problem...you are always welcome in these discussions...and thank you. Big hello to Jim Maloney. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 am 

3. Given human nature_ for anyone to claim that American Senior's Uechi leaves much to be desired and that no one could possibly understand real Uechi Ryu unless he spent years training in Okinawa...the end result will always be people feeling insulted and bullied...

They ask...so what happens to the students here in the States of American senseis _ who have spent years training in Okinawa, and now run local dojo teaching American students who will never travel to Okinawa?

We have talked about this before....all it does is to make enemies not friends. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 am 

Very well spoken Van Sama... But just to lighten Mark's mood.... This old Marine Corps saying came to mind....
Don't worry about the tough guys at the bars, don't worry about catching anything, don't worry about the Politics... But for God's sake.. Worry about the Taxi Drivers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE0fNqnu ... re=related

PS/// He predicted the weather was nice when it was about to rain back then soooooo...........ahhhh whatever :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:27 am 

4. It was wrong and a violation of my forum's rules for both Mark and Robb to openly insults each other...as they did. :(

As mentioned, I wasn't able to get on line until this evening so I missed the exchange. Typically, I would have deleted both insults and issued a forum's warning.

I know you two well, and you are both gentlemen. I prefer we keep it that way. You have a choice now to delete your posts and get back on track if you so desire...I really wish you would...being cordial to one another is what we should be striving for.

Post subject: You're right Van...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:35 am 

Have him present his side of the story....

But as far as what was said to Mark earlier, hey, I've seen emails between himself and his former Lt. Col... and I quote.... " Gunnery Sgt. Mark Brelsford holds nothing but the highest work ethic towards Uechi Ryu or the U.S.M.C....... Now if one of your students wish to question that.. (name forgotten because he was busy being a want to be movie star) Then that really gets to my craw... I would suggest maybe he actually does something besides talk and post and go to another country, live by their rules, carry a 110 lb ruck sack + weapon for 20+ miles a day, then live in mosquito infested surroundings just to see the light of day to do it all over again... Ohhhh, sorry... Too busy to make a name for himself???
Really?!? You guys want to get real?!? Here, tell you what.. Send Shane to me for an afternoon since he's been so well prepared by the folks he spoke of..and see what condition he comes back in... Either way... Put up or STFU.....Old style rules... :D :lol: :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next