It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: You got check this out
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 am 

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/video-tft

Post subject: Interesting. . .
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Not to belittle the course or instructor, but I wonder what 95% of these women will do when they execute one of their "pressure point strikes" and discovering the bad guy laughing at her!

One weekend training slow motion for $2000. . .

Hope none of these women ever have to test their expensive hits!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:20 pm 

I wouldn't mind going to one one of those seminars.. I think that if I could learn to strike vital areas like those guys, I would definitely be safe even in the worst parts of Cleveland!! I like the part where the instructor teaches in slow motion. Not only will I learn what I need to know, but it won't be too strenuous..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:58 pm 

I agree...when you watch the clips of real violence part of this video they are showing...we see the brutality of real violence and the mind numbing fear one may experience regardless of any level of training.

This is the one thing that gets swept under the rug time and again...in any training.

And one of those women or men....would have difficulty remembering any of those moves, much less executing them, especially in 'weak bodies'...

Post subject: More. . .
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Many years ago I invited a reporter to my dojo for the purpose of writing an article about the self-defense program we were teaching women. The material was very similar to what is being taught in the linked course. . . eye gouges, groin shots and grabs, throat hits with edge of hand.

The reported thought it was a great idea, but wanted to test the results of the program with an actual unplanned attack.

Van knows the young lady (good friend of Clarence). . . tough as nails and very good at uechi-ryu and she performed better than average in the special woman's self defense course. . .

The meeting I set up with the reporter (who was normal size and weighed no more than 150 pounds) was to schedule the interview in a vacant lot on Myrtle street (about 5 blocks from the dojo). I told her that the reporter and I would be meeting her there next day at 1PM in the afternoon. No other information was given to the young lady.

My role was to come a little after the reporter, who planned to be a few minutes late.

I was watching from a vantage spot where I couldn't be seen and saw XXX arrive. The lot was deserted and she walked over to the wall of the adjoining building and was looking at something in her purse when the reporter arrived and walked over to her. He started to trash talk to her and was pretending he was drunk. Since she believed at this point that he wasn't the reporter, I was hoping she would run away, but instead got really angry and started to scream at him to leave her alone. He got in front of her and grabbed her arms, using his weight to turn her around, then pinning her arms to her side while lifting her off the ground.

At this point I ran over and yelled to the girl to relax while she continued to try grabbing his groin and kicking at him with both legs. The reporter held on until she quieted down, then put her back on the ground.

I apologized to her for the staged attack and complimented her on keeping the attacker busy and for not losing her "cool". The reporter felt she did little else than what an untrained, but tough minded woman would do in a similar situation.

Since then our organization has conducted hundreds of self defense programs for women and our training strategy is much different. . .

A few of the important points . . .

1. Awareness of your environment. Where you are and where you are going. Always be aware of the best way to escape a possible threat.
2. Always have a weapon of destruction within easy reach or in your hand, especially if in a place where there is potential danger. Any weapon that you have, know how to inflict lots of pain with it, whether it is a key, knife or other implement that can be used as a weapon.
3. Learn how to turn on the "switch of destruction". . . that point where you become a fighting-machine and don't quit until you or your assailant can't move.
4. We teach moves in slow motion but have full size targets made to be destroyed and our students must destroy them.
5. Evasion is better than confrontation. Getting safely away from danger is the best self-defense possible.

Van has discussed the biggest problem with all self-defense programs. . . Most people will freeze like a deer in a headlight when attacked and there is very little in the way of training that will help a rabbit become a tiger in that "Oh S#@T moment. Scenario drills that are as real as possible help the most, in my opinion. Just teaching moves slow motion and talking about what needs to be done for a weekend. . . well. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

It's an interesting concept, but I don't have 2k sitting around to blow on a weekend like that. I saw lots of slow-mo drills, but zero focus on how to flip the switch (something that was mentioned once, briefly, in the video), breathing control, or dealing with the effects of the chemical dump. I really question whether someone who thinks it's all about pressure points will be able to do that.

Then again, since it's a promo (which any journalist should be ashamed of), and we're not exactly the target audience, who knows what they cover when they're not slow dancing in the gym?

Post subject: Uh Oh...Wait guys!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:36 pm 

I didn't really mean my response!! I was just trying to get Van riled up with me!! :lol:
I was just being facetious :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm 

I know Rory likes the slow-mo because he worries about practicing to pull your punches, operate at the wrong distance, etc.

Post subject: But. . .
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Unless you practice "full contact" motions, which is why I teach slow-motion sparring before full speed, most people will subconsciously "pull" their punches, as they practice.

Best to practice slo-mo with full contact blows, that penetrate through the target area. This gives the practitioner the feeling of making contact and the Uke gets the feeling of being hit.

If you have never been hit in the face, the first time may surprise you, especially if you think a head shot should hurt you. Your mind may trick you into falling down or believing you have been knocked out. . . in other words, you may "quit" after taking a hard head shot.

Getting hit with full contact blows that aren't thrown full force will give you the experience of getting hit and surviving. Head shots can be devastating, but more often than not, you can survive the moment to keep "destroying".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm 

George,

Most excellent :) The better way to train...then hope for the best....

Doing kata and hoping the 'dragon' in it will suddenly 'awaken' when needed...oh well :lol:

Stevie,

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 pm 

mhosea wrote:
I know Rory likes the slow-mo because he worries about practicing to pull your punches, operate at the wrong distance, etc.

He likes the slow mo...put your strike on target and press your weight into it until target moves/gives way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 pm 

Quote:
He started to trash talk to her and was pretending he was drunk. Since she believed at this point that he wasn't the reporter, I was hoping she would run away, but instead got really angry and started to scream at him to leave her alone. He got in front of her and grabbed her arms, using his weight to turn her around, then pinning her arms to her side while lifting her off the ground.

At this point she had sensed/realized...hostilities and bad intent.

at that point the 'attack' had already begun....

Two choices...

1. flight...if at all feasible [she may run but not get very far] something she needs to know...

2. Fight immediately.... no hands ...no kicks...no karate...

Just a less lethal weapon to start with [in her hands] to be used immediately...then run.

Any karate training should be the last option...or the initial response if taken by surprise...then 'graduate' to weapons.

Never allow any physical contact unless absolutely necessary.

You counter the 'intent' not a punch/kick/grab/whatever.

A woman will get away with it more so than a men.

Invite any kind of contact and you are inviting all kinds of trouble.

Post subject: Van smiled at me!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 am 

But he still hasn't given me a Chinese New Year Card via Facebook :lol: wait .... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 am 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 pm 

Does that course come with fries?