More MacGyver

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

More MacGyver

Postby Van Canna » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:36 am

Van
Van Canna

Speaking of MacGyver...

Postby Stevie B » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Thought you might like this...Just don't use it on me!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1j ... re=related

:lol:
Stevie B

But ...even if you could...

Postby Van Canna » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 am

...carry a rifle/shotgun in the trunk legally....

what is the trunk rifle useful for? It’s really quite simple: your trunk gun is your SHTF rifle when it hits the fan while you’re not at home.

If natural disaster or civil unrest occurs while you’re across town, or halfway across the country, far from the small (or not so small) arsenal most of us have at home, a rifle in the car provides more options than a pistol.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 am

Depending on exactly what sort of situation you’re facing you may have to leave your vehicle and move on foot.

At the very least, you’ll probably want to move the rifle from the trunk up into the passenger compartment (to grab if you need to leave the car, rather than gunfighting from within the vehicle).

Doing either of these things with a highly visible rifle may attract some unwanted attention. We should all be mindful of police confiscating guns after Hurricane Katrina.

Some sort of discreet carry method is desirable. Either get a rifle case that doesn’t look like a rifle case, or improvise with something like a tennis racket case or camp chair bag.
Van
Van Canna

Caveat

Postby Van Canna » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:18 am

This for banter only...anyone reading this don't ever carry a rifle/shotgun in your car.

Some states require the magazines or ammo be separated from the weapon, with the exception of your concealed carry and that must be on your person.

In some states.... Regardless, a loaded magazine in or not in or not around a firearm but in the auto equals a loaded firearm.

Also in some States....

If you are hunting and lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle, you are again in violation and subject to penalties if caught.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Jason Rees » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Also in some States....

If you are hunting and lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle, you are again in violation and subject to penalties if caught.

Unbelievable.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Love it!!!

Postby Stevie B » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Damn !!! What did you do?? Ship it back piece by piece and put it back together when you got home? :lol:
Stevie B

Postby Kevin Mackie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Panther, are swords illegal in MA? I know someone who has a WWI era German officer's ceremonial sword.
Kevin Mackie

Postby Van Canna » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 am

I see assisted spring knives for sale at gun shows in Mass, Panther.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Panther » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:50 am

Kevin, Swords are fine... as long as they're not double-edged. So a traditional katana or wakazashi are legal. And the swords such as the military officers wore during the "War of Nawthurn Agreeshun"... :lol: But that large double-edged claymore or kris sword... technically illegal.

Van-Sensei, There are LOTS of things such as that which are sold at various shows and flea markets. Usually the officers working there are pulling a detail and just don't want to get into it because of the paperwork. (I've heard that first-hand a few times from the officer at an event.) I've found that Massachusetts based vendors at those shows usually don't carry them, but the vendors from other States (NH, CT, ME, VT, RI, NY, etc.) are the ones that have them for sale. They often will sell daggers, push-knives, belt knives, and "fantasy" knives that are illegal in MA, but not in their home State because they just don't know any different. However, they're still illegal in MA. Just like the fact that most (but not all) martial arts weapons are illegal in MA (like nanchaku, shuriken, etc) but they're sold in chinatown all the time and you can find young kids who take Karahtee often have them. Most officers will look the other way as long as you're not doing anything wrong with them, but if they want to bust your chops or if you use them to hurt someone or commit a crime... It's an extra charge on top. There ARE knives that open just as quickly and easily that are NOT spring-loaded... my wife carries one that is pretty neat. Her brother, the cop, thought it was an illegal spring-loaded knife until he was shown differently. I do know of one vendor from another State that was at a show in Worcester and the guy gave one of the officers working the show some schit... He ended up with about half of his inventory confiscated because it was illegal in MA (but other vendors were selling the same items not too far away). It pays to be nice to the people with the power... which is my problem because I was raised to "Question Authority". :wink:
Panther

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities