Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:50 am 

Kevin, Swords are fine... as long as they're not double-edged. So a traditional katana or wakazashi are legal. And the swords such as the military officers wore during the "War of Nawthurn Agreeshun"... :lol: But that large double-edged claymore or kris sword... technically illegal.

Van-Sensei, There are LOTS of things such as that which are sold at various shows and flea markets. Usually the officers working there are pulling a detail and just don't want to get into it because of the paperwork. (I've heard that first-hand a few times from the officer at an event.) I've found that Massachusetts based vendors at those shows usually don't carry them, but the vendors from other States (NH, CT, ME, VT, RI, NY, etc.) are the ones that have them for sale. They often will sell daggers, push-knives, belt knives, and "fantasy" knives that are illegal in MA, but not in their home State because they just don't know any different. However, they're still illegal in MA. Just like the fact that most (but not all) martial arts weapons are illegal in MA (like nanchaku, shuriken, etc) but they're sold in chinatown all the time and you can find young kids who take Karahtee often have them. Most officers will look the other way as long as you're not doing anything wrong with them, but if they want to bust your chops or if you use them to hurt someone or commit a crime... It's an extra charge on top. There ARE knives that open just as quickly and easily that are NOT spring-loaded... my wife carries one that is pretty neat. Her brother, the cop, thought it was an illegal spring-loaded knife until he was shown differently. I do know of one vendor from another State that was at a show in Worcester and the guy gave one of the officers working the show some schit... He ended up with about half of his inventory confiscated because it was illegal in MA (but other vendors were selling the same items not too far away). It pays to be nice to the people with the power... which is my problem because I was raised to "Question Authority". :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:19 am 

Good post Panther, thank you.

Question: I own this Randall 'airmen' survival knife, model 15.

Would this be illegal for me to stow in the trunk of my car for use in a survival situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_PIo8WnXyM