Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Yeah, Bill...unspeakable horrors there....

But can we get to specifics on how to teach children the right behavior?

Surely there must be some professional opinions out there.

Bill and Van you may find this link interesting having worked in the field(s) you do. Started with the passion of one man (Paul Kells) who lost his son in a work place accident. At a conference I witnessed him "selling" his dream to health care and law enforcement professionals. A decade has past and results realized and more initiatives being added. In a nutshell representatives from law enforcement, health care, businesses, public works, school boards, seniors groups/youth groups meet on a regular basis and pool stats and resources.
Examples that comes to mind are taxi`s park when idle in front of convenience stores/take outs giving added security to themselves and the store employees...young employees do not face leaving the store alone or walking home...fresh coffee as well ;)
Skate board park placed adjoining police headquarters and safety gear donated by local businesses.
Involved businesses do not hire students until they have completed a work place safety program which includes knowledge of workers rights and hazardous materials.
All stats such as EM visits to hospital are shared to correct the root cause if possible...be it criminal or icy sidewalk.
Martial artist such as our Victor Swinimer involved in programs initiated by the police department and local schools. I helped Victor in a couple of these and we were posted on the police web site in a positive way :lol:

It honestly does take a community to raise a child.
More than professionals...we need passion to teach our children how to protect themselves.

http://www.safecommunities.ca/whatisasafecommunity.php

Quote:
It is a community that puts people and processes in place to ensure that a blend of strategic activities and community involvement will have a significant impact on the rate of its injuries wherever and however they occur

Another way I like to think of it is...form a tribe. Each member be it warrior or healer etc has his her role to play.

Older children :D
http://www.bridgewaterpolice.ca/senior_citizen's_police_academy.htm

Post subject: persistence
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

Bill and Van you may find this link interesting having worked in the field(s) you do. Started with the passion of one man (Paul Kells) who lost his son in a work place accident. At a conference I witnessed him "selling" his dream to health care and law enforcement professionals. A decade has past and results realized and more initiatives being added. In a nutshell representatives from law enforcement, health care, businesses, public works, school boards, seniors groups/youth groups meet on a regular basis and pool stats and resources.Examples that comes to mind are taxi`s park when idle in front of convenience stores/take outs giving added security to themselves and the store employees...young employees do not face leaving the store alone or walking home...fresh coffee as well ;)
Skate board park placed adjoining police headquarters and safety gear donated by local businesses.
Involved businesses do not hire students until they have completed a work place safety program which includes knowledge of workers rights and hazardous materials.
All stats such as EM visits to hospital are shared to correct the root cause if possible...be it criminal or icy sidewalk.
Martial artist such as our Victor Swinimer involved in programs initiated by the police department and local schools. I helped Victor in a couple of these and we were posted on the police web site in a positive way :lol:

More than professionals...we need passion to teach our children how to protect themselves.

Quote:
It is a community that puts people and processes in place to ensure that a blend of strategic activities and community involvement will have a significant impact on the rate of its injuries wherever and however they occur

Another way I like to think of it is...form a tribe. Each member be it warrior or healer etc has his her role to play.

Last edited by CANDANeh on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm 

Examples that comes to mind are taxi`s park when idle in front of convenience stores/take outs giving added security to themselves and the store employees...young employees do not face leaving the store alone or walking home...fresh coffee as well ;)

Quote:

PS. No idea why I was having issues (posting) in previous post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm 

What are you trying to post Leo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:10 pm 

Bill and Van you may find this link interesting having worked in the field(s) you do. Started with the passion of one individual. At a conference I witnessed him "selling" his dream to health care and law enforcement professionals. A decade has past and results realized and more initiatives being added. In a nutshell representatives from law enforcement, health care, businesses, public works, school boards, seniors groups/youth groups meet on a regular basis and pool stats and resources.
Skate boarding park placed adjoining police headquarters and safety gear donated by local businesses.
Martial artist such as our Victor Swinimer involved in programs initiated by the police department and local schools. I helped Victor in a couple of these, we were posted on the police web site in a positive way :lol:

More than professionals...we need passion to teach our children how to protect themselves.http://www.safecommunities.ca/whatisasafecommunity.php
Quote:

Another way I like to think of it is...form a tribe. Each member be it warrior or healer etc has his/ her role to play.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm 

Shall try later