All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 am 

Somebody say something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:27 am 

SOMETHING :D

Post subject: HAHAHA!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 am 

I thought they had thrown me off because so quite!!! What up Steve???

Post subject: Shhhhhhhhh...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am 

We can take over VC's site while he's sleeping... But if he catches us,... He'll do the Macgyver to us both... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: jk Vann.....

Post subject: Re: Shhhhhhhhh...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:45 pm 

Stevie B wrote:
We can take over VC's site while he's sleeping....

Van doesn't sleep........

..........he waits..........

Post subject: So true...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 pm 

Good point Kevin :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm probably going to end up with a blow dart in my butt 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Kevin... You are in California aren't you? Under Alan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 pm 

No, MA.
I'm not active in M.A. any longer.
I started with Van in Norwood in 1973 and stayed with him after his move to Walpole.

Then I took up with Ed DeCosta years later and eventually back with Van at his TC sessions in Brockton.

I do like to keep in touch with what's happening in the forums, though.

Post subject: Cool..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 pm 

I had you confused with someone else out there.. that's cool, nice to meet you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:08 pm 

Hey Stevie. I've been learning new applications lately from Ricksan........... Here's a topic to discuss. When you practive kata, I know you're supposed to be into it and intense, eye of the tiger kind of stuff, make it real. When you have learned multiple applications, which one do you use in your mind to make it real??

Post subject: Good Question !!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 pm 

I always envision the one that I like the best for me... ie( my physical strengths and weaknesses, size of the opponent, and which is going to do the most damage) As I've progressed I have found new target areas that weren't shown to me (or I hadn't figured out yet)..
But like Kumite, I always practice 2 or 3 good attacks and defenses and stay with that. So I may practice Seisan Bunkai to hit the ribs with the Nukites with say a Nidan or below this time.. But if I'm alone with a higher student that I know isn't going to misuse the information or target.. I'll practice the Nukites to a spot that will cause severe damage.. But usually no more than 2 interpretations as I want to drill it into my muscle memory and response pattern to the point of not having to think.. Close to what Rick Sensei told you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:11 pm 

We didn't talk about that particular subject. I guess one could practice the kata with each application in mind and change what you're thinking each time. I mean, when you're actually performing the kata you're gonna be pretty close to the same physical movement anyway. It was more of a mental thing with me. If you competed in kata in tournaments it would be ok as long as you didn't "blink" during a move and make a wrong move LOL.

Post subject: Yes...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:09 am 

Well, basically, that's the reason for the eyes.. 1) You infuse yourself with intensity.. Therefore mentally defeating the opponent before starting..2) You are putting yourself in sort of a trance where adrenalin and focus are more important than outside factors(hence Sanchin Katai)..
Then , going back to the Katas themselves... OK watch where (in ei...) Kiyohide and Gushi Senseis are actually hitting.. Think that they are taught like us to hit at the same place on their own bodies as it would be on an opponent's as it would be mirrored to them.. Take a look at where their Nukites are actually going.. Is it to the ribs??
Going back to mental imagery..When I look at a target in a Kata, I am thinking more about the imagery of penetration as I would if I were going through say a Watermelon or Board.. I don't like to think of it like they are Human.. Throws me off.. Think about your target training when you were LEO... Sort of same thing.. You can tell which ones are the thugs.. Then it is just a prcice decision making moment.. Make the decision and move... Period.. Same /Same..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 am 

You guys are just right for a good laugh now and then. Glad you enjoy this page. And Kevin, always a pleasure to hear from you…a faithful old student from the days of 'wine and roses' LOL…

How are coming along? Do you think you could start working out again?

Or maybe you could keep tweaking that 'time machine' so we can all get back to the 'wild seventies' in my Norwood dojo…those were the days. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 am 

Stevie,

Excellent comments on kata, thank you.

As to kata and 'applications' we learn through bunkais and two men sets etc. _

I have come to admire and follow many of Patrick McCarthy concepts in my training and teaching these days.

http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/patrick-mccarthy.htm

I still argue to this day that what we do the most of in the dojo is what will 'embed' in body and mind….and will surface under the stress of a real fight without us being aware of it.

Here is about Pat McCarthy
Quote:
A product of this extended legacy, it was during that period of popularization in the 1960’s that Patrick McCarthy started learning karate but after years of study he ultimately became dissatisfied with impractical application practices, and the convoluted teaching standards of 3K-training.

In particular, he often questioned the value of teaching learners to respond to reverse punches, back fists and sidekicks when it is clearly not representative of violent encounters?

More importantly, if karate was just about punching and kicking, as was pontificated from the highest sources, he speculated as to the need for kata in the first place.

With kata containing myriad techniques, other than just punching and kicking, he couldn’t help but ponder what tactical intentions their creators originally set forth.

Challenging the historical evolution and pedagogical veracity of this heritage has resulted in McCarthy Hanshi becoming an excellent educator and inspirational bujin. <see>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 am 

Quote:
"In 1985, after nearly twenty years of training, I became discouraged by incongruous practices. It wasn’t that I disliked traditional karate but I could no longer accept its modern interpretation of kata!

I began to search for a teacher, a style, or even an organization that could mentor me in a more rational, coherent and systematized manner. Specifically, I was looking for someone who could;

• #1.Use realistic acts of physical violence as a contextual premise from which to learn [rather than the 3K rule-bound reverse punch scenarios]

• #2. Employ practical two-person drills to recreate those realistic acts of physical violence found in today’s society and provide prescribed defensive templates ultimately leading to functional proficiency

• #3. Show how the prescribed templates [i.e. the composites which make up kata] not only culminated the lessons already imparted but, when linked together, clearly offered something greater than the sum total of their individual parts [i.e. kata], and finally

• #4. To possess the ability to clearly demonstrate where these prescribed templates [mnemonic mechanisms] existed in the classical/ancestral-based kata and how they were linked back to both generic and specific acts of physical violence.