Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re speeding
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Speed traps in Florida (and I suspect all over the USA) are in many cases, in areas where speed signs are not very visible and abruptly and without reason, change from 50 MPH to 25MPH. In my case the speed limit for most of the road was 45MPH and when the road went by a church it changed to 25MPH. the plain clothes cops can make their quota for the week in a couple hours at such spots! :)

Then I came to a four way stop with clear visibility all directions and no traffic. I slowed to a "near stop" while looking for approaching vehicles. Since there were none, I proceeded and was promptly stopped.

Got the ticket for speeding and warning for the "no FULL stop".

In Florida, if you take the Drivers class ($27 bucks I believe) and pass the test, nothing goes on your record and insurance isn't affected. However, repeat offenders will get penalized.

Interesting, since getting this ticket, I've been watchin the speed signs and am amazed at some roads where for no apparent reason, the speeds will vary from 55 to 25 to 35 to 45 and back to 55 within a couple miles! Obviously, there are lots of speed traps waiting for tourist and unsuspecting locals to drive by. :)

Post subject: hahahaha!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 am 

Florida!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 am 

Yeah….Florida….what you tell me doesn't surprise me at all. I was there a few times and was warned about the same things….to be very careful as the cops will try and trap you in so many devious ways, especially the locals.

I'll take the NE weather anytime. :lol: LOL

Post subject: Then in Miami
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:25 am 

While driving on the freeway with a friend from florida...I saw some drivers pull some stunts never before seen anywhere, and police cars drive right by without taking any action.

My friend told me that in Miami there is so much violence on the roads by all kinds of thugs...that the police fear getting killed...so they let it slide for the most part. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am 

"sliding through" a stop sign is more commonly referred to in Massachusetts as a "California rolling stop", but I've only seen it performed by people from Massachusetts!

On speed limits that are crazy and only for revenue, it isn't a Florida thing, it's quite common in other states. For example there is one stretch of Rte 2 in Massachusetts that goes from 55 to 45 to 50 to 40 to 55 in the span of a few miles. At first you'd think it was crazy, but don't be at 55 when that 40 sign comes up because there is a nice little hidey spot right there when the monthly quota (which we've all been told doesn't exist :roll: ) needs to be filled. Traffic will blast through most of those sections at 75+ on "off hours" and certain days of the month, but will do 35-40 during "rush hour" or on other days when tickets need to get written! I guess it averages out... :mrgreen:

I also was privy to an incident in a small Massachusetts town that is related... In case folks don't realize, the only speed limits which are legal in Massachusetts are ones that are posted by a school (usually 20-30mph) OR have an accompanying engineering study done with the speed limit set at the speed travelled by at least 50% of vehicles, road conditions, and a few other criteria (see MUTCD...). So... a road was repaved in this small town and because of the rule they did the required engineering study. The study came back with a recommendation of 55mph, was sent to the town that they should post 50mph by Mass Hiway (because 55 was a little too high in their opinion, regardless of what the study indicated), the town went NUTS! They simply never had any speed limit so outrageously high! Soooo... the town hiway dept decided that they can't have a speed limit of 50 and instead posted 40! It was raised to 45 when someone was cited and got a copy of the study and had the ticket tossed because the town had posted 10mph below the state recommendation. I heard (I wasn't there, this is second-hand) that the judge was asked straight out how much below the 50 they could go and cite people. The judge told them 45 would be fine, so they changed the signs to 45! And I happen to know in that town they will cite you for 49, it's their policy... They figure that 90+% of people will just pay it to save the time and the revenue lost on the others isn't any big deal... It's all about revenue and not about safety...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm 

Quote:
"sliding through" a stop sign is more commonly referred to in Massachusetts as a "California rolling stop", but I've only seen it performed by people from Massachusetts!

Yes, I see it done constantly everyday, and all seem to get away with it. But when 'you' do it, you either get caught or tailgated and honked.

Same with the speed limits….if you respect them, well then be ready to be constantly tailgated or worse. There must be some sort of bumper/glass sticker that could act as a deterrent for the punk ass drivers on your tail? Panther?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 am 

Van Canna wrote:
There must be some sort of bumper/glass sticker that could act as a deterrent for the punk ass drivers on your tail? Panther?

Generally a FOP sticker (or something similar) makes people think twice. I don't use "ninja" stickers, even when I've been offered them by family & friends who are LEOs, because there are enough nutz out there who don't like cops and who actually target officers and their family's cars. If you want to put one of those "blue line" stickers on your car, go ahead... enough people who are NOT officers have them now that (IMNSHO) they are meaningless. They are supposed to only be available to LEOs. I've found that they're generally used as a way for some LEO or family member to drive like an @$$, endanger others on the hiway, and do so with impunity. I once talked with the MA AG (herself directly) about this problem right after one of these jerks almost ran me off of the road (I didn't move out of his way fast enough on I-495) when I had my young son in the car. The guy actually tried to run me first into a semi, then off the road completely because he was mad at me for not getting out of his way. I thought that maybe he had somewhere important to be, but then realized that IF that was true he certainly wouldn't have taken the time to slow down and retaliate for my not changing lanes fast enough to suit him. I got his plate, but couldn't get any DA to take the case. An LEO friend of mine found out who he was (he actually was an off-duty cop). When my LEO friend called him, the jerk had every excuse in the book and threatened to file charges against ME! (BTW, he was in a hurry because it was Friday and he wanted to beat traffic to the Cape... :roll: )Soooo, I called Martha... She danced and danced and basically ended up telling me to drop it. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of the blue-line stickers and even less of a fan of the blue-line plates. In MA if you are issued new plates, you get two of them... one for the back, one for the front... if you fail to put the front plate on it's a heavy fine and you or I would get that ticket every time... These LEOs that put the blue-line plate on the front are breaking the law and are allowed to get away with it... every time. I'm done complaining about it, even to the highest law enforcement officer in the Commonwealth, the AG, and just listening to myself talk. OK... enough of the rant... sorry about that...

Also, I know of someone who purchased a car that had "ninja" stickers in the window when she bought it. She was pulled over about a month later, NOT for any violation, but for having the stickers on her car "without authorization". The MSP officer stood there and made her remove them before he let her go and told her they were only allowed on cars owned by LEOs. TOTALLY a lie. :x

Basically, as we both know, there are good and bad everywhere. I just try to "fly under the radar" and avoid all the jerks every way I can. Since having a child in the car, I've started letting a lot more stuff slide than I did when I was a hot-headed youth! :wink:

In the end, I don't recommend any stickers on your car. Not even cute bumper stickers. There are people who will target you because you have a bumper sticker that they don't like! Just like at work... No politics, No religion, No nothin'! Many years ago I had a bumper sticker that said, "Tread lightly on Mother Earth". It came with the truck... Pretty innocuous right? I had a guy start yelling at me in a parking lot calling me names because he had a problem with it. I couldn't get it off, so I had one made that said "this space for rent". Haven't had another one on any of my cars since! I have a friend of mine who put some conservative bumper stickers on his car. After his car was keyed for about the 5th or 6th time he finally figured out that it was because of the bumper stickers. He took them off and hasn't had a problem since. Naturally, YMMV...

Gee... I'm in a "talkative" mood this morning... Gotta go back to work... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 am 

Panther
Quote:
In the end, I don't recommend any stickers on your car. Not even cute bumper stickers. There are people who will target you because you have a bumper sticker that they don't like!

I wonder if there are exceptions here.

I see a great many numbers of cars with USMC decals on their windows and I don't recall ever having seen those cars badly tailgated or 'molested' on the freeways…maybe it happens but I have not seen it as opposed to other cars.

It is possible that some pickup truck, especially the ones driven by punks with 'little peckers' [you know the kind] may get the nerve of playing games 'some' with a USMC tagged car…but I doubt that they will see it to the end. The nagging thought in their minds will always be…this guy is probably armed and not afraid of fighting.

Now, not being harassed on the freeway, does not mean that your car is immune from being 'keyed' _spat upon, spray painted with 'baby killer' when left unattended.

A Marine friend, who works in the recruiting office, tells me that everyone who loves the Marines should have a USMC decal on their cars to help recruiting efforts.

He says that if you are not a marine but have a USMC decal on your car ….does not bother real Marines unless you say that you are a Marine. He recommends that if a real marine asks you about the decal …you only need tell him that a Marine friend gave it to you to help recruiting efforts and to deter tailgaters on the road…the truth.

As to the problem of the possibility of your car being defaced while parked_ he recommends placing a magnetic USMC sign on the metal parts of the rear of your car while driving….and to 'peel it off' placing in the trunk when parking the car. This way it will not attract the cowards, who feel unmanly because they did not serve.

Stevie, what are your thoughts on this?

Post subject: Good plan!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 am 

My Father always kept a USMC decal on his SUV.. He was a just a lowly Squid... But it didn't bother me.. He was my Dad and just had it there out of respect for the Corps..
As far as the little Peckerheads messing with a car driven by a Marine (or even a Marine Fan)... WARNING!!!!! Do not mes with my beloved Corps!!!! If I was to walk out in a mall parking lot to find a few punks messing with the decal it would mean a size 12 in some punks @#!^%!!!!
This is why all Marines should drive pickup trucks... That way we could mount a Mark 19 semi automatic grenade laucher in the back and lay waste to all who do not comply!!! :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha.... You had to get me going h, huh Vann.... LMAO!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:39 pm 

Right on Stevie :lol:

Now I'd like to hear Panther's views on this. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 pm 

Sounds good. I like the idea of the magnetic sticker...

But our family is partial to the Air Force... More into the "Thunderbirds" than the "Blue Angels"...

And there are good and bad in every group. I support those who serve, but it doesn't mean I agree with governmental policies (the administration doesn't matter and neither to all of the REMFs... Just don't like most of the policies that put those who serve into bad situations for no good damn reasons... Thanks to those who serve and may you all be blessed and you & your families safe from harm... To the politicos that don't understand and simply "vote" to send those who serve into harm's way for no good reason... Go Rot... )

Enough of the rant... I think I got my point across...

Post subject: Air Who???
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm 

Thunder chicken what???? :roll:

GOD BLESS MY BELOVED CORPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm 

hey... at least you didn't call me a "wing-nut". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Hahahaha
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:04 pm 

And you were kind enough not to call me a Jungle Bunny.... Life is good!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:41 am 

For some reason, some weakness of character I suppose, I was always attracted to a good bumper sticker. None of my cars were ever bothered. I imagine the fact that I've never owned a new, or nice car, had something to do with it. Up until a couple years ago, I never paid more than 800 bucks for a car.

In the sixties I had a Bruins sticker on my car. It said -
“Jesus Saves...AND ESPOSITO SCORES ON THE REBOUND!”

When Bush was president I had “Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing an idiot.”
When Clinton was president I had a sticker with Monica Lewinsky's picture on it. It said, “You mean to tell me that a nice Jewish girl couldn't get a stain out of a dress?”

When the Catholic church sex scandel hit Boston I had stickers made. I photoshopped a picture of Bernie Law, with an open palm. I photo shopped a jar of KY jelly onto his palm. It read, “Cardinal Bernard Law – keeper of the Holy Lubricant.”

I hope nobody takes offense at any of this. None was intended. It's just what I did.

I always had a Blue Line sticker on the back of my cars. Maybe not the brightest thing to do, but I didn't care. Now, I have a sticker that says, “Wag more, bark less.” I guess I got old and mellow.

I don't recommend anyone put a sticker on their car. It can invite trouble. I was stupid, but I was always lucky. And I just didn't give a damn.