Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The dumbass page!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:12 am 

So I was just introduced to a young dumbass named... Well, we'll leave the name out for tonight... Let's try to figure out who it is.. Fun Game??? :lol: Won't take long...
K... I'll be the first to say I haven't exactly used Sempai / Kohai regulations here.. If we were in Japan h, half of our arms would be broken by now...But then again... Respect is respect.. I take no more kindly to breaking the balls of an old Infantryman than I do a Old Samurai... With that said...
A young man around our circles has basically just came out and said... Please Roast Me!!!! Good to Go!!!!
I have my "Dean Martin , I'm going to throttle your Ass " handbook, and look forward to the challenge....
Van... If you will do the introductions please Sir....?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Now remember...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:22 am 

This page was (or thread) was only made by request.... Now there is some Emotional Genius!!!! I have heard about suicide by COP... But suicide by Old Uechi Ka?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 am 

Hi Stevie,

You posted
Quote:
I'll be the first to say I haven't exactly used Sempai / Kohai regulations here.. If we were in Japan h, half of our arms would be broken by now...But then again... Respect is respect..

Actually this is a very important aspect of our Uechi practice that is never touched upon...possibly many of us fail here...and I believe Bill Glasheen touched upon this on his forum.

Of course the 'dumbass' needs no introduction :(

When smart is dumb was well covered by Goleman of 'emotional intelligence'...

But you would now get the old ....but...but...but... 'he said' _ 'I said' _ 'he said it first' _ 'I said it next' BS... :wink:

Best not to mention any names here...but outlining the extremely important 'Sempai / Kohai regulations' you learned while training under Master Shinjio would be well received by the readers at large.

Thank you for a very intelligent observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 am 

But in the end it's OK...Stevie...forgive/forget and move on...I really have no rancorous feelings towards this kid...he is still very much immature...life will be a very severe teacher in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 am 

Yes, but when I think back on the many errors in judgment in my youth, I don't recall verbal incontinence with my elders among them. Perhaps it is just that Internet forums make some people forget that they're talking to real people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 am 
Site Admin

mhosea wrote:
Yes, but when I think back on the many errors in judgment in my youth, I don't recall verbal incontinence with my elders among them. Perhaps it is just that Internet forums make some people forget that they're talking to real people.

The problem being that it's not verbal at all. It's not even an exchange of letters: at least that usually prompts thought and planning on some level. Instead, it's instant gratification, and projection.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 pm 

They do forget they are speaking to real people...I'm all for the first Amendment!! And actually I have been known to ruffle more than a few feathers.. But as Van pointed out, the Sempai/ Kohai relationship is often neglected here.. :(
If there was a rhyme or reason for it, maybe I could understand a little better.. And Jason is right as well.. They are simply not looking at it in a sense that they will ever have to be accountable..
In Okinawa (especially right after I came out of the Corps) I was constantly getting into fights and trouble (Mike Geiseck can attest that I wasn't the most calm young man)..
About the time I went back to Kadena the next Monday for training, I could always tell if Shinjo Sensei had heard about my exploits.. He would just have a little grin on his face... I would always notice it after Jumbi undo.. Too late to bow out at that point.. Those would be the nights of Kotekatai with Narahiro Sempai and kumite with Matsuzaki Sempai.. Bu the end of it, Kiyohide Sensei would politely ask if I might need an ambulance to the hospital..After about a year or two of this, I sort of figured out that Okinawa was a small place, and maybe it was time that I grew up a little..
My point is.. If you're going to talk it, you Damn well better be able to walk it.. Uechi Ryu is a fantastic Karate Do style... The best ever!! Because after about one time in the Dojo, you quickly find out how people really are... :lol:

Last edited by Stevie B on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 pm 

Shinjo Sensei and I went to their Bonnenkai (end of year party) and I was on the elevator with Takara Sensei and Shinjo Sensei.. I noticed that in comparison, Takara Sensei was a much smaller a man than Shinjo Sensei.. Much more mild mannered and just seemed to be a humble and quite soul... When I asked Shinjo Sensei why he didn't seem as fierce as the guys I encountered at Kadena, he didn't take long to explain the meaning of the word Miejin to me.. He stated that his Sempai, Takara Sensei was Miejin (Magician).. That all he needed to do was touch you and you would die... I've had the honor of meeting and training with some Miejin (in my opinion) over the years... They weren't all Japanese either.. Point is, that if you are speaking to a 8th or 9th Dan... You might want to realize that (at least in our society) they didn't just walk through the Dojo doors for the first time and give them some level of respect.. Bad idea to instigate someone like that.. :twisted:

Last edited by Stevie B on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm 

I'm lovin this thread. Keep the stories coming.

Post subject: Sure Steve..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:26 pm 

But not here.. In person when I come down... I just wanted to demonstrate that when someone comes spoiling for a fight or a debate, they may end up with more than they thought.. Take a look at the Westboro Baptist Church ( the one's that disrupt Military Funerals) :twisted:
Well, I don't know of too many people that wish to embrace that sort of view, but it just shows that some people can really be out there and still get a few disciples to listen to their gibberish.. Crazy!!!
But as Van so graciously said about the young fella.. Life can be a very hard mentor sometimes... Hopefully, he may read this... Maybe get his head out of his ass, and not learn the hard way..Like Kanei Sensei once said... "If they come to fight, we will give them a fight.. If they come to train, we will train them.. Both ways are acceptable, both ways are hard!!!"
I for one have learned that one way isn't quite as hard as the other however... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Stevie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:54 am 

These people are for real aren't they?

http://tinyurl.com/yezlwbm

And how do they get away with it?

Quote:
On January 26, 2008, WBC traveled to Jacksonville, North Carolina, home of Camp Lejeune, to protest the United States Marine Corps in the wake of the murder of Maria Lauterbach.

Five women protested, stomping on the American flag and shouting slogans such as "1,2,3,4, God Hates the Marine Corps."

A group of over 40 counter-protesters arrived and one spat in Shirley Phelps-Roper's face.[48] Another counter-protest was held across town, which attracted over 150 counterprotesters.

On May 14, 2008, two days after the deadly 2008 Sichuan earthquake, WBC issued a press release thanking God for the heavy loss of life in China, and praying "for many more earthquakes to kill many more thousands of impudent and ungrateful Chinese".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:58 am 

Howdy folks. Hopefully this will be entertaining for all.

"This page was (or thread) was only made by request"

My request was to avoid further derailing Bert's thread with posts all about me. The subject of that thread wasn't supposed to be me, and since it was a very sensitive topic (personal loss) I wasn't comfortable talking about myself any further in that context.

Re: sempi/kohai

I don't think I have, in the ten years I've posted here, even questioned any of the seniors on matters specific to Uechi-Ryu karate-do. On that subject I regard them as my unequivocal superiors, and my own perspective to be nearly without value. If anyone can remember or point to an example where I have shown anything but deference in this regard, I will eat my words.

However, I don't approach non-martial subjects with the same mindset. In matters of philosophy and politics, I assert my opinion with some confidence that my perspective does have value. The fact that Van, Bill, and many others are unquestionably my betters when it comes to karate does not imply that they are my betters when it comes to every other subject as well. Nor, I would point out, do I think that I am necessarily their betters in every (or even any) other subject, just that my opinion is equally valid where nobody has any particular credentials. I have great personal respect for almost everyone who posts on these forums, but that doesn't mean that I think they are automatically right about everything or that their seniority renders their opinions beyond criticism.

I extend this same egalitarian view to those younger than me as to those older. I don't think that someone who is, say, 20 should be written off as too young to have insight. Nor would I think it impudent of them to naysay me on any subject. If I'm right, then my argument will prevail, and if I'm wrong, I don't think my age or any other credential is an automatic victory card. If any of you were to challenge me on a subject of software architecture or programming in general (my personal areas of expertised, and presumably not yours) I would explain as best I could my opinion, and if you disagreed I wouldn't take it as an affront based on some notion of assumed superiority. If I'm sure that I'm right and don't feel like arguing, then I just won't. It's as simple as that.

If you look at my posting history you will find that I rarely, if ever, resort to namecalling, or outright dismissal of a person rather than an idea, or an attitude. I try never to outright insult anyone (such as by calling them a dumbass), but there are certainly times that I get frustrated, and become sarcastic or snappy or unduly blunt. That's a personality flaw I will readily admit to. Ideally I would remain detached all the time and not rise to the bait. For the most part, I do ignore that kind of goading, but on occasion I fail. Sorry. And certainly I fail to phrase things as cautiously as I should, when they're likely to be sensitive subjects. Never would I suggest that I'm the embodiment of the perfect poster.

"Perhaps it is just that Internet forums make some people forget that they're talking to real people."

On the contrary, I'm well aware that the people I'm talking to are real people. I've taken classes with Van, talked to him socially at camp. I've always enjoyed talking to him in person (and usually on the forums as well). In none of those conversations has Van been as insulting as he routinely is here, and as far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) I've never particularly pissed him off in person. It seems to me that people who didn't grow up communicating online have kind of a different perspective on it from people who did. There is a bit of a generational divide at work. Everybody I have spoken with that grew up using the internet takes what's said online with a grain of salt.

It's not so much a matter of forgetting that there are real people reading, as it is remembering that communication in text is flawed and miscommunication rampant. Debates in forms in particular are regarded with skepticism. Have you heard the joke that arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded? Not a very PC joke, but it highlights the fact that people generally realize that debates on the internet shouldn't be taken too seriously. Before anyone says it, yes I realize that real conseqences can occur based on internet disagreements. But you can get shot for honking your horn too.

I also don't feel like having one's ideas questions should be taken as an insult. If you don't question my ideas and my thought process, it basically says you don't respect me at all; it says you regard my potential for insight as so insignificant that it doesn't even merit analysis. The ultimate insult, as far as I'm concerned, is to decide that someone is just so useless that all of their ideas are worthless and not even interesting enough to think about. That they have nothing worthwhile to offer the world and may as well not exist.

One interesting difference that seems to exist between me and most posters on these forums is the attitude towards authorty. The majority of folks here seem authority-minded either by training or inclination. I, on the other hand, strongly dislike authority, whether it is in my own hands or another's. In operational situations you need rigid leadership in order to respond quickly (in the military, for example) but in social situations I believe that everybody deserves equal respect. Mike spoke about verbal incontinence with one's elders. In my opinion I owe just as much respect to a 15 year old as I do to a 45 year old or a 90 year old (I am 31). Expertise in a specific domain is a different matter, but I don't believe that there's any general property a person can have that makes their ideas automatically worthy of greater consideration. Not rank, not age, not title.

Part of this, I tend to think of as humility. While, I feel like I've consistantly improved in some ways, as I've grown older, there are also ways in which I've degraded. My mindset is less flexible, less quick to adapt to new ideas. It gets harder to change my habits, and easy to get behind as culture chugs along at a rapid pace. Maybe this is just some unique defect of mine. Maybe everyone else finds that as they age their faculties only improve. To me, it seems like a mixed bag. There are definitely ideas I've had time to think through in a way I hadn't when I was 15 or 20 or 25, but there are also a million new ideas that I haven't really incoporated into my worldview. It's tempting to me to feel that I'm overall superior to what I was at a youngern age, but I think there's a much greater variation between individuals than between age groups. That is, even if older correlates with wiser, the difference in wisdom between individuals is much larger than the difference age makes, and dismissing those younger than me based on age alone has never felt, well, wise.

And there, my internet friends, is a very long and self-indulgent post that I doubt anyone will bother reading in its entirety.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:12 am 

LACKS RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY... You know Justin... I couldn't have described your generation better if I had an encyclopedia in front of me.. :(
Possibly if you really had a little training.. ( other than a Summer Camp here and there) or a Military background, you might be able to communicate yourself with a little less difficulty..
It is pretty obvious that at 31 years of age, you sound like you are no more mature than my 18 year old Son.. :lol: :lol:
I'll stop with the debate right there and look forward to the day I run into you at a Camp or Dojo somewhere...After GEM has you sign the waivers of course.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Van..
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 am 

They absolutely are real, and they don't just get away with it..The Supreme Court in their infinite knowledge has just said that they are practicing free speech.
There is a group of older Vets that show up on their Harley Davidsons and block these idiots from the procession..As I said before, I'm all for free speech, but at a certain point it just becomes vulgar... Case at point Justin... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:20 pm 

Again ….Bill put it best
Quote:
For someone who claims to value control of emotions, Justin; you show a remarkable lack of emotional intelligence. If your intent was to antagonize, well maybe I should retract that statement. Along those lines you've succeeded marvelously. But if your intent was to win others over to your point of view, well you've failed miserably.

It is unfortunate that Justin still does not seem to get that there is intelligence in emotions that requires a certain social skill to bring such intelligence to emotions _such as the ability to intuit powerful feelings shaped by life's vicissitudes in others_ while locked in arguments.

It is simply_ the ability to perceive the subjective experiences of another person with an overall sensitivity to other people's past interpersonal disasters, instead of trampling over them with a downpour of trite personal wisdom lacking any foundational structure.

And look at the reactions he has been getting from Panther and Stevie.

It is precisely the lack of these skills, as pointed out by Bill, that has made Justin, now as in the past, come across as arrogant, obnoxious, insolent and insensitive, triggering the powerful emotion of anger as we have seen here in Panther and Stevie, individuals 'cut from a different cloth' for reasons Justin has difficulty grasping and or_ possibly_ ridiculing, such as having the audacity to spout a need for therapy to Panther and not apologizing to him for that transgression.

And his latest self indulgent post is more of the usual hassling _ wrangling_ bickering and balking- which continues to come up short of the required emotional intelligence to perceive, intuit, the sensitivity of other people's past interpersonal disasters brought to the conversation table on certain explosive subject matters as gun control.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next