Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 pm 

The man, whose head is slammed on the ground, said he was drunk and didn't want to leave the stadium

See video & story here:

http://www.policeone.com/use-of-force/articles/3499531-Video-Soccer-game-arrest-hits-YouTube

Read the full story on the San Diego Union Tribune.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/31/police-review-soccer-fans-arrest-caught-tape/

Excessive force??? My reply BHPD93 on 4/3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:36 pm 

I first watched this without the sound, and I think it helped because I wasn't confused by the slapping sound from the hand. Heads don't make that sound. If his head had hit very hard, it would have made a thumping sound. Still, it did look a bit hard, though ironically, I don't think the LEO even intended it to be a slam at all, rather a quick, decisive grappling move. On a mat you would think nothing of it, and even on concrete, with only a cut coming from it, I'd say the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm 

I'm with Mike. I listened without the sound first. One thing to note, the entire struggle prior to the "slamming" was one of complete resistance by the perp. When one struggles with someone in a "wrestling" or ground fighting style it is not uncommon for one or the other to finally loose their position of strength and "let go" as it were. Thus the other person in the struggle gains an immediate "upper hand". If I push on you for three or four minutes and you suddenly stop resisting, you're going back at a high speed as I'm still pushing against what was your struggle. I think the cop, after an extended struggle against resistance, simply got the upper hand and the perps head suffered the consequence. Probably didn't make sense but it sounded good. As for using capsicom, can't do it effectively when you're on top of a person struggling, you'll end up with more on you than them and they win. Can't let go once you've locked up with someone as you'll probably loose your upper hand. My take is the cop did good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 am 

Don't argue with a gun and badge!!! Stupid...But funny :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 am 

Nice arrest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:20 am 

I agree...good arrest and the officer showed good restraint.

Even if he had slammed his head into the ground on purpose, it is good in my opinion...anyone who resists arrest in that manner cannot be trusted...if he slips away...he may come back at the officer with some concealed weapon...like a razor or something.

The perp needs to be totally and quickly overwhelmed.

Now if a civilian does that, chances are he'd be charged with A&B with a dangerous weapon...to wit...the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

As soon as the guy's head hit the cement, he ceased resisting. I'd say it was a successful maneuver. And no, I don't think he hit too hard. The man was still conscious afterwards, and wasn't blinking excessively or looking everywhere with confusion... and hell, he didn't even cry out (which most people will do when they think they've cracked their damned skull or done some other serious injury). Someone else mentioned the sound... which on concrete is a very distinctive, hollow sounding 'Thod.' An arm and hand took most of it, by the look and sound. Lucky him.

I think the perp just realized he'd had enough resisting, and didn't want to go through THAT again.