An eye lost to tactics?

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

An eye lost to tactics?

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Check this out and see the policeman getting shot in the face.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 12422.html

See the video here...

http://bcove.me/87u8z3b4

The only question I have here is...why did the policeman keep on being exposed in the line of fire of the shotgun for so long while trying to 'talk the perp down' ...

I wasn't there, I know, but I keep wondering about the policeman's 'cover' during the confrontation at the point of a shotgun held on him by an obvious 'nutcake'...

It looks like some of the comments in the article were deleted and I can just imagine what they were all about :(

The first rule of survival when up against a gun...is effective cover and concealment...

It be interesting to know exactly where the policeman was when the shotgun went off.

There is a lesson here for us all...
Van
Van Canna

Re: An eye lost to tactics?

Postby Steve Hatfield » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 pm

again not one to monday morning.......guess I am anyway. To me the police wait far too long to shoot this perp. The first time he points a weapon at me (not knowing of course whats in the store behind him) I'm pulling the trigger. I'm not very good at negotiating.
Steve Hatfield

Postby Stevie B » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Agree with Steve... Pull the trigger now!!! Ask questions later... Too much bureaucracy blurring vision and response!!!!! :twisted:

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!
Stevie B

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 am

I am still befuddled by the policeman's cover at the time the shot was fired.

The very first thing I learned in the 'duelatron' scenario, as run by John Farnam of Defense Training International...was to take effective cover when faced by someone with a gun.

First take effective cover ...next "peek out" quickly...then take the needed action.

We don't have enough information...I guess.
Van
Van Canna

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities