Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: One born every minute.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am 
Site Admin

A month or so ago, a soldier allowed another soldier access to his .44 revolver while they were drinking. It only took his friend an hour to die after shooting himself in the gut.
Two weeks ago a soldier was playing with his gun in his bathroom, when it went off, firing the round through his wall and into his neighbor's house.
Sunday, a soldier shot his wife in her breast while cleaning his .45 handgun.

I'm going somewhere with this, but I'm not awake enough. BBL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm 

Lawn mower accidents can be just as bad. Seriously those whirling machetes are life changing and care not what they hack at. The PTO shaft of a farm tractor is one of the most useful yet dangerous pieces of farm equipment...again it cares not what it transfers energy to. Humans will make errors and suffer the consequences. Still the consequences of the occasional error/misuse are better than hurling rocks or facing a life of back breaking work.

Chances of coming into contact with a bullet are also far less than a serious car accident...feel free to relax :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:00 pm 

This illustrates the reality of the 'moron syndrome' _ many people are vulnerable to Sudden Moron Syndrome, and engage in acts of moronic stupidity, in many manifestations of it.

The most common being what we see on a daily basis on our roads by people in control of the deadliest 'weapon' of them all…the Automobile, better yet the pick up truck.

There are State police photos in some of my files of cases investigated that would give you nightmares. People with heads cut off, a woman with her head and left shoulder/arm cut off, six people dead from carbon monoxide from their snow blocked SUV tailpipe after going 'parking' in the woods one night and leaving the engine running for 'warmth' _

One person slamming his car into the rear of an open bed truck, his head becoming severed from his body and rolling forth onto the truck's bed.

The truck driver getting out, seeing the head with eyes open in sudden death…collapsing on the roadway and suffering serious emotional injury.

Guns, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, snow blowers etc., are 'dangerous instrumentalities' and they require emotional stability, intelligence and responsible personality in their ownership.

These soldiers are not too swift…imagine having these guys with a loaded rifle behind you in combat.

Guns are not toys, you never play with a gun, there is no such thing as an unloaded gun…and if you are a moron, you have no business owning a gun or even being allowed in the armed forces.

But how to tell for the licensing authorities or the military?

But then again, accidents are a way of life.

Tell us more Jason.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 am 
Site Admin

Van Canna wrote:
These soldiers are not too swift…imagine having these guys with a loaded rifle behind you in combat.

Disturbing.

Quote:
Guns are not toys, you never play with a gun, there is no such thing as an unloaded gun…and if you are a moron, you have no business owning a gun or even being allowed in the armed forces.

I don't think that's made it into the litmus test.

Quote:
Tell us more Jason.

So... yeah, sorry, I wrote that at 2:30am trying to fall asleep after having to pull a night shift the previous night.

I was wondering a few things:

I can't think of a situation that involves cleaning a firearm that necessitates the presence of ammunition. WTH? Am I missing something there?

It's easy to write it off as moron syndrome, but there's multiple factors at play here. Statistically, the majority of soldiers come from the midwest (this is according to what I have read up to this point). They're explorers who had to get away from home and hearth to escape the dead-end presented to them on their home turf. They've no college education (though they may start college a short time after joining). They're young, off the apron strings for the first time, and more frequently as the years go by the military is their first exposure to firearms. They might have rifle training, but not handgun, and frankly they don't get enough of it, IMO. They're also less likely to be the personality type that follows regulations, rules, etc to the letter, so more likely to leave ammunition lying around while cleaning guns or doing stupid things like cycling slugs and shells through a shotgun 'for the fun and cool of it (true story: Army guy went to a gun show last year, bought a shotgun, brought it home and cycled it in his garage. It went off, blew through his wall, fence, neighbor's fence, wall and stove).' They're going to be more fun-oriented. They've access to alcohol for the first time in their lives, without family or other responsible adults in their immediate circle.

It all makes me wonder how I would have survived, had I not been a barracks rat my entire 3 years in the Army. Kinda makes me feel like 'there but for the grace of God go I.'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:15 am 

Quote:
I can't think of a situation that involves cleaning a firearm that necessitates the presence of ammunition. WTH? Am I missing something there?

Right on. Before cleaning any gun…it gets unloaded and the ammo stored in a different location/room than gun cleaning equipment.

As you are aware…it is the round left in the chamber of a semi auto [1911_ Glock…etc.] that will kill you.

Such 'accidents' will happen when after the magazine is removed…the slide is not cycled to clear the chamber, then locked open…before sitting down and beginning the take down.

Pump and semi auto shotguns present a similar problem. Not many gun owners even know how to remove shells from the magazine tube…so they cycle the piece without even putting the safety on.

So many more are at a loss to open the action after it is locked with a round in the chamber.
Quote:
They're going to be more fun-oriented. They've access to alcohol for the first time in their lives, without family or other responsible adults in their immediate circle.

True, I have had the same experience…maybe another mother nature's expedient to 'cull the herd'…

That reminds me of the near fatalities we had when learning to toss hand grenades…soldiers fumbling the pulling of the pin and the toss, under the stress of the moment.

The DI putting a stop to the drill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:18 am 

Quote:
This illustrates the reality of the 'moron syndrome' _ many people are vulnerable to Sudden Moron Syndrome, and engage in acts of moronic stupidity, in many manifestations of it.

This past weekend I watched part of an HBO special on gun violence / accidents.

Get this a man shot his wife in the next room, because he was trying to make a hole in the wall and decided to use his 22 as a drill!

Maybe there should be a quiz of some sort rather than or in addition to a background check.
:?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 am 

Haha!!!!! Good excuse!!!! :lol: LMAO!!! Good to see you have your sense of Humor going Kentucky!! Hey Man I am just up in Cleveland, and Jim Thompson Sensei isn't far... Time to start meeting up if not too far...

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:21 am 

KentuckyUechi wrote:
Quote:

This past weekend I watched part of an HBO special on gun violence / accidents.

Get this a man shot his wife in the next room, because he was trying to make a hole in the wall and decided to use his 22 as a drill!

Maybe there should be a quiz of some sort rather than or in addition to a background check.
:?

It would make sense, given what we hear and see.

Same should apply to drivers' licenses...the $%^& some people pull on the road is appalling. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:46 am 

Somebody needs to pull Van over just to see if he's carrying contraband.... :mrgreen: I he starts screaming "Air America!!!!" for God's sake just let him go... :lol: :lol:

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:39 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 am 

Jason Rees wrote:
A month or so ago, a soldier allowed another soldier access to his .44 revolver while they were drinking. It only took his friend an hour to die after shooting himself in the gut.
Two weeks ago a soldier was playing with his gun in his bathroom, when it went off, firing the round through his wall and into his neighbor's house.
Sunday, a soldier shot his wife in her breast while cleaning his .45 handgun.

I'm going somewhere with this, but I'm not awake enough. BBL.

Any more details on how these accidental discharges happened?

Was the .44 revolver a single or double action?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Doesn't matter. It wasnt an accidental discharge. They were playing Russian Roulette.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:25 am 

:(

It reminds me of the one gun case I had amongst the many I investigated:

This teenager [17] took his father's revolver [left unlocked and unattended] to a house party of more teenage friends...but no adults supervison.

There was no drinking but lots of horsing around.

At one point the "imbecile" being superior in one degree to moron and superior in two degrees to "idiot" ...took the gun out and began to show his friends how to play Russian Roulette.

One kid became nervous and said "I'm out of here" ...turned and headed out of the room.

Now the 'feeble minded' stupid, moron...spun the cylinder with a round in it...pointed the gun at the kid's back and pulled the trigger.

The gun went off and a bullet hit him between the shoulder blades killing him.

Just imagine...and this type of irresponsible behavior is not unique to gun ownership or handling.

You should read some of my Medical Malpractice investigative files. :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:28 am 

BTW...Jason...your new avatar reads 'site adm'...if of this site...congratulations my friend. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:53 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. :)
I volunteered to help George Mattson out, especially with the forum appearance... just in time to start my Alaska EMT 3 class, which will put me at the high end of the national EMT Intermediate level. Once this is over (Practicals are tomorrow... already took my final written), I'll get back to the meat of that problem and see what we like for a color scheme.

Here's some links for some of the stories I posted about:

Judge Lowers Bail for Russian Roullette 'Winner.'

How a Boob Shot a Boob

Bonus: BB Gun Drive-by.