Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A very good shot
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 am 

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/wat ... y-couture/

Post subject: Re: A very good shot
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm 

Kinda puts the lie to all those nay-sayers who trash talked against the viability of that move in the original Karate Kid movie... doesn't it... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 pm 

Okikukai dan kumite fans will recognize this as the jump kick on the second series number 4. Exact same kick. Guess pre-arranged kumite may have some benefit!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am 

Not trying to nitpick here because I'm a huge Machida fan. How could I not be, he's a Karate man! But he's not hitting any Karate men with that kick, we're too familiar with it.
And if he does throw that kick, with hands wide open like that, that young fella is flat out knuckle bait.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 am 

Otto wrote:
Not trying to nitpick here because I'm a huge Machida fan. How could I not be, he's a Karate man! But he's not hitting any Karate men with that kick, we're too familiar with it.
And if he does throw that kick, with hands wide open like that, that young fella is flat out knuckle bait.

Agree. Hopefully karatika aren't fighting each other in the streets. How many moves do we practice on a regular basis that wouldn't work in sparring or the dojo (because we all know it's coming) and would work well in a real world fight? I hope many!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:03 pm 

True. I would not recommend that kick to my students in a street fight as it leaves one vulnerable to missing under the effects of the 'cocktail' and also getting 'toppled over' and stomped to death.

Some of the moves we practice instill some very bad habits and need to be modified for the street …an old argument.

Also the largest percentage of street fights today are not the 'one on one' we practice in the dojo….but of the multiple assailants on one…and more often, armed as well. We read of this in the paper everyday…

And we also have Panther's experiences to concern ourselves with as to what usually happens in the real world.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:11 pm 

Quote:
Most Deadly Weapon!
30 Sept 09

Shod feet, the most deadly weapon!

From a friend close to this story:

"A teenage boy was beaten to death, in public, by a gang of thugs in Chicago last week. Much of the attack was recorded on video. The murder took less than a minute.

Once again, we see how absolutely lethal are kicks to the head of a downed victim, particularly in the context of multiple assailants.

Although the initial impact that sent the victim to the ground was inflicted via a board or club or some kind, fatal damage was subsequently inflicted by the shod feet of the assailants.

This format of attack is common, and is far more dangerous than is realized by most. Fatal head-injury can be easily inflicted within seconds. Head trauma is extremely dangerous, and, due to the enclosed nature of the cranium, swelling of the brain will likely exacerbate injury."

Comment: From our perspective, it is imperative that, during such an attack, we avoid being rendered unconscious. Once on the ground, we must protect our head from multiple kicks and other blows, employing lethal force when necessary, and regain upright footing as rapidly as possible.

When your head is in contact with a solid object, blows directed at it are infinitely more injurious than when you are upright,, and your head is free to move with the blow.

Protect you head. It's the only one you have!

/John