Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Uechi Kata
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm 

I guess its just a matter of how you learn. In my limited experience I have been able to discover things in Kata by taking the bunkai further then the original chorographed application. For example one night we were working on a bunkai and we were told not to stop with one counter but to do up to 3. In one particular movement I end my 3 counters by tossing my partner. At that momemt I relized that what I had done was a version of the Sku Ha Uke, I know I am spelling this wrong it is the block introduced in Seichin. I never would have been able to figure this out if I didn't dig deeper into the bunkai. Now maybe someone would need a new kata to relize this application. All can say is that a deeper study of the existing kata through bunkai worked for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm 

It all depends were individuals are on the uechi ladder ,when I teach uechi after sanchin ,I go to seisan ,but now I could place a kata of my own creation there ,but there is no need my student is ready for seisan after a lengthy sanchin study ,is everything in seisan totally new ,is it a total contrast to sanchin ,simple observations ,that many make .then get on with doing.
I did not get on with looking for application after application ,but switched my observations to the creative make up of seisan and set about in earnest to solve its connections .

Max.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:23 pm 

I have to be honest you kinda lost me on that last post. Not sure what your getting at.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:00 pm 

Hi Paul.

I will elaborate my on my post ,which is basically about the topic ''New Kata''. bunkai are a principal element of kata, but I am not looking for more bunkai .I am studying teaching in my class between two kata sanchin /seisan.

Thats what my post says ,two kata.

I have switched my observations to look at the connections ,what connections ? the connections between the two kata rather than more bunkai .

The connections are the links between how say seisan was created ,knowledge of this provides monumental help in a individuals own new kata .

Different focus is okay with me ,say uncover endless bunkai .

If you understand the essential makeup of sanchin you can create straight from that ,plus it does not have to go the seisan route ,if you have the ability to do this ,actually once you attempt to create ,you need complete confidance in your knowhow of sanchin .

max.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:33 am 

If you look back in history you have to wonder is sanchin a chicken or the egg thing? Was sanchin created first then other kata followed by keeping the elements of sanchin but just adding more technique. Or did someone take a kata and strip it down to it's basic elements to create sanchin?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:12 pm 

"If you understand the essential makeup of sanchin you can create straight from that"..........

Good point Max

"...... it does not have to go the seisan route"........

True words, but it is a natural progression.

".....I never would have been able to figure this out if I didn't dig deeper into the bunkai."

Interactive drills have always been a fasttrack learning tool for me as well Paul. :wink:

"......did someone take a kata and strip it down to it's basic elements to create sanchin?"

My undertanding is that Sanchin was the blueprint or Great Grand Daddy of ALL Martial Arts with origins in India - China and then Okinawa .?.?.?

My daughter Allison returned to Uechi training this week, (after a ten year layoff) with renewed enthusiasum after seeing this new kata !!!! In this modern society Uechi would be a 'tough sell' to our fast food / fast paced consumer. New and different is plain ole' good salesmanship for this customer. They are less likely to bite on 'old school' :D 8) :D

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:23 am 

Paul .

Most likely in the past there was info passed down in ref; to how sanchin was developed ,but a good guess is better than a bad measure. So on my part it would be guesswork .I am a bricklayer/mason ,a basic principle of masonry is to understand expansion and contraction within a structure ,the structure is composed of various angles ,curves etc developing height in a structure may require a buttress ,sanchin dachi incorperates the principles of to;buttress the height of the structure,so the creator etc of sanchin must have had a knowledge of buttressing a structure under the dynamics of expansion and contraction utilzing angles ,curves etc within the kata .

So as a creator I need shapes angles, curves to build with ,also I know these shapes can fit into every type of activity ,with a circle i can create a segment ,or a chord ,or a ellipse I have a tight circle lengthening returning to a tight circle ,I know exactly were to to cut into it to shorten etc ,I can mold or blend .

I now devote all day every day working the shapes into a fighting structure ,I see angles curves shapes in all existing forms ,nothing much escapes my notice on this subject .I have the ability to defuse my attention to see more ,if I wish too it can be contracted to the minute . I can see the large and small in things ,this is why the mind infiltrates this structure ,this mind can't be approached ,but through long hard work ,there is no easy acssess to it
So a battle takes place to approach it ,that incoperates the very best of human endevour ,a great name for this creation must be Sanchin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 pm 

que gran Maestro Sensei Senaga !!!! hermoso Kata