Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rory Miller's New Book
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 am 

It just arrived and I haven't quite finished reading it yet, but I just had to post something, because I'd really like to see some chatter about this!

I'm finding it clear, easy to read, a little irreverent and just funny enough to keep the reader from going mad dealing with such a difficult subject as violence.

Having met people who have gotten into trouble for defending themselves - who, as a result, have become experts due to having found themselves "stuck in the system", I believe Rory is presenting crucial information here which we all need to know before the trouble starts!

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:23 am 

Thanks Chris, for posting this. I had been waiting for the right opportunity to get a discussion going on this.

I have ordered the book here:
http://tinyurl.com/6x73mfh

Rory, last year, had been kind enough to send me his
PDF on 'Seven' which I found to be a masterpiece on violence...but had refrained to comment pending publication of his new book with the name 'Facing Violence'

[quote]Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Seven Steps to Legal, Emotional and Physical Preparation

This book stands alone as an introduction to the context of self-defense. There are seven elements that must be addressed to bring self-defense training to something approaching ‘complete.’ Any training that dismisses any of these areas leaves you vulnerable.

1. Legal and ethical implications. A student learning self-defense must learn force law. Otherwise it is possible to train to go to prison. Side by side with the legal rules, every student must explore his or her own ethical limitations. Most do not really know where this ethical line lies within them.

2. Violence dynamics. Self-defense must teach how attacks happen. Students must be able to recognize an attack before it happens and know what kind they are facing.

3. Avoidance. Students need to learn and practice not fighting. Learning includes escape and evasion, verbal de-escalation, and also pure-not-be there avoidance.

4. Counter-ambush. If the student didn’t see the precursors or couldn’t successfully avoid the encounter he or she will need a handful of actions trained to reflex level for a sudden violent attack.

5. Breaking the freeze. Freezing is almost universal in a sudden attack. Students must learn to recognize a freeze and break out of one.

6. The fight itself. Most martial arts and self-defense instructors concentrate their time right here. What is taught just needs to be in line with how violence happens in the world.

7. The aftermath. There are potential legal, psychological, and medical effects of engaging in violence no matter how justified. Advanced preparation is critical.

Any teacher or student of self-defense, anyone interested in self-defense, and any person who desires a deeper understanding of violence needs to read this book.

About the Author
Rory Miller has served for seventeen years in corrections as an officer and sergeant working maximum security, booking and mental health; leading a tactical team; and teaching subjects ranging from Defensive Tactics and Use of Force to First Aid and Crisis Communications with the Mentally Ill.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 am 

Chris,

Please feel free to start now in open discussions about the book you have just read.

What did you personally find most of importance?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 am 

Rory
Quote:
The fight itself. Most martial arts and self-defense instructors concentrate their time right here. What is taught just needs to be in line with how violence happens in the world.

I have always argued the same point on this forum.

It is essential that any martial arts student, no matter how skilled and trained he might fancy himself to be, totally understands_ the hows and whys of violence happenstances [anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause] and the dynamics of such.

Here, Rory is a master tactician in the physical and psychological sense...and absorbing his new book with an open mind...will be a survival component of training.

Hopefully we will see Rory at our summer camp and with lots of books to sell.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:18 am 

Another book by Rory to buy is this.... 'Drills'

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44993

Quote:
A collection of drills by Rory Miller of ChironTraining, author of "Meditations on Violence" and "Facing Violence." This book describes many of the exercises used by Rory in his seminars as well as some training techniques usually reserved for private students. This book is a must-have for any martial artist who wishes to transition from the training hall to real life.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 am 

Rory talks about the various types of violence, including predatory violence.

And he points out that being a martial artist is good, but the violence dynamics of 'predation' for example, are something that we as martial artists don't know much about and certainly have no experience in dealing with.

Consequently, as he points out, it is best to not be delusive of skills we may possess, because experienced predators damage people in many ways for a living…and so he will be better prepared for you than you will be for him…so he suggests that you not be 'overconfident' in facing predatory violence…something that though you might sense…you might miscalculate in reading…without a more in depth study of it.

Reading of it in his books is surely a start.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:58 am 

Here in Chiron....Rory has some golden words about training...

http://chirontraining.blogspot.com/2006 ... ining.html

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I'm hoping to get Rory's new book from his publisher soon.

His blog is a goldmine.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am 

Hoping Rory has copies available at Summerfest. Very few books in my collection I have read twice so I`m unable to keep his in mint condition :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:33 pm 

I think Rory is unique in his presentations of violence ...physical and psychological... no-one ever has been able to gain such depths in a most difficult subject as self protection.

The problem I see ...have always seen...is that we martial arts students...fixate on traditional training on the floor...believing that 'being tough' on the floor and being good at kata/kumite/sparring/conditioning etc./will be all we shall ever need to survive any confrontation.

Reading Rory's book [and let us not forget he is also a psychology major] can hit us like an icy water bucket...first the water drenching you then the bucket bouncing off your nogging. :lol:

His books can be read over and over and each time you will look forward to re-reading...

And taking seminars from him is an eye opener...you will see violence dynamics up close and personal as you never have...never will see on the dojo floor.

You will understand how easily you as a big tough...conditioned and skilled martial artist...can slide down the slippery slope of street violence and end up in a pine box...with your friends using all you belts tied together...to lower your ass into the ground. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:54 pm 

The discussion about predators…the charm predator…the process predator…the 'we' technique….the 'gain access' technique…etc. and the ways to deal with them…it matters not who you are…are priceless.

He points out that these tactics are also used by salesmen…and think about the times all of us have been ensnared by 'sales tactics' against our better judgment.

So thinking that we are different because we are tough Uechi practitioners doesn't really fly.

Some of you may recall what happened to Joshua Ford, Uechi student, son of Al Ford, a great Uechi-ka and a good friend of so many of us.

Josh was in NY with his girl friend in a club one night, when he was approached by a charming couple who eventually was able to talk them into joining them later into their apartment for a 'night cap'…

The guy was a criminal…a former Navy Seal…expulsed by the Navy because he was a 'nut' …imagine such a nut.

Well…Josh and his girl…were killed…cut into pieces…packaged in plastic bags…and dumped in a dumpster. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:35 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
The discussion about predators…the charm predator…the process predator…the 'we' technique….the 'gain access' technique…etc. and the ways to deal with them…it matters not who you are…are priceless.

...Some of you may recall what happened to Joshua Ford, Uechi student, son of Al Ford, a great Uechi-ka and a good friend of so many of us....:(

Horrible story...

The way Rory spells out the necessity of constant awareness is a gem to me - I'm relatively vigilent and am often accused of being a little paranoid by friends and family.

However, Rory points out that this level of awareness is also one of the things that allow us to enjoy life more fully by noticing the colours and textures we are surrounded by. He makes a good case for keeping mindful and aware, and much of it begins to sound like what some folks call enlightenment, but without all the sacrifice.

Hmmmm, enjoy life more and avoid attack....tough to see a downside.

Much more than a book on SD...full also of valuable life lessons form someone who has seen much and managed to keep his humanity.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm 

BTW Rory will be here for three or four days of seminars in just a few more weeks....I can hardly wait!

And the book couldn't have come at a better time.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:51 am 

Chris,

Your observations about Rory as a person and what he teaches are spot on. He is a no-nonsense trainer from life and death personal experiences.

Is Rory's seminar for the Maloney group?

For example in his book we see what he writes about the 'unconscious stuff' such as finding your glitches….this alone should give pause for thought since most martial artists really believe they have none.

He explains why the defensive tactics and strategies and skills for dealing with conflict may be one of the very factors that work against us in a fight….because as good and efficient as they might be they are geared to a specific environment and society.

He talks about the defenses that set up the victim for failure.

He talks about why understanding the dynamics of violence is so utterly complex and why so many of us feel so complacent about it.

Why we never envision the savage beatings, knifings and outright kill…that can trigger upon us in an instant.

The 'know thyself' chapter can be unsettling to some of us…certainly a poignant subject not to be swept under the rug.

Knowing the world you are in, recognizing the threat and so on.

He talks about how to learn to break the freeze...he shows some excellent natural defense/offense techniques…such as the wonderful applications of the Dracula's cape and more on the perfect move.

This book is as complete as it can be on self protection.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:15 am 

Van Canna wrote:
Chris,

Your observations about Rory as a person and what he teaches are spot on. He is a no-nonsense trainer from life and death personal experiences.

Is Rory's seminar for the Maloney group?

I really appreciate how much of himself he allows to come out in his writing. His style gives real credence to his observations and brings the reality of violence into a more....personal perspective.

I wish I could attend his seminar in Halifax -- would love to train with Jim Maloney's group, and see Shane Kirk again, but no....Rory is actually coming here to visit my small group before going on to Montreal and Halifax.

A few months ago Rory contacted my friend and mentor Rick Wilson about who he knew in the Toronto area and Rick pointed him in our direction.

I'm picking him up from the airport in Toronto on a Thursday; on Friday he'll be presenting his 'Logic of Violence' seminar to a group of advanced students and intructors at Steve Pascoe's Twin Mountains Martial Arts; then Saturday He's doing part one of 'Ambushes and Thugs' at John Marshall's Family Karate; and on Sunday Family Karate is hosting an off-site scenario training day as part two of 'Ambushes and Thugs'. Monday is still uncertain: I've been trying to get him an interview with London Police Services, Corrections Canada, and The Ontario Provincial Police about the possibility of running workshops, but haven't had any success yet.....there's still time; then Tuesday he's off to Montreal.

Last edited by Chris McKaskell on Sat May 21, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.