Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 am 

Lawyers.....everyone loves to hate lawyers, but when you need one they are exactly the right thing.

In Rory's book he advises us to retain a lawyer now....just in case, but he also recognizes that none of us will take that advice.

I find this interesting - not the advice, or the realization that none will take it, but that it needs to be presented as advice at all. It gets right to the heart of the matter: we live life assuming/hoping that we will never need a lawyer so that when circumstances arise which require one we don't even know how to pick one.

As a business owner I've needed to retain lawyers plenty of times for many different tasks and I've come to the conclusion that not all are created equal. You get some really excellent business lawyers who are smart and motivated and hard working, but you wouldn't want them defending you for an issue invloving self defence: completely different line of work.

And then there's compatibility -- if you can't stand being in the same room with your lawyer, or if they can't bear to be around you....maybe you need to be working with someone else.

And the point of Rory's advice is IMVHO don't wait till the last minute to find all this out....

You may not need to actually retain a lawyer, but it's a good idea to consult with one...see how you get along, ask them about their experience, see if they have any MA background; and, when you find one you like and trust, keep their card for future reference....just in case.

On the back of the book it clearly states: "Survival favors the prepared mind." Robert Crowley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 am 

I ordered the book when I saw this thread. Read it cover to cover over the weekend.

This is a must read. Period.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 am 

Otto wrote:
I ordered the book when I saw this thread. Read it cover to cover over the weekend.

This is a must read. Period.

I knew you would like it, Otto. As Chris said..it is a book you want to read over and over and over again. Nobody has ever presented such complete narratives on such complexities.

In his writings,[all his books] Rory writes about the different types of real world violence, the types and nature of the threats one is likely to be faced with _in the real world, he talks about the different types of violence dynamics that most of us don't even begin to understand because we were never exposed to it__

He writes about 'real personal capacities' as opposed to 'imagined' Assumed... ___ he talks about our 'personal glitches' we will bring to the fight….

and offers an invitation into the 'looking glass' _ where you see the self as you really are...

he talks about 'Predatory strategies' that again most of us haven't got a clue_

He points out the necessity for the people who contemplate using their martial arts skills for self defense_
to learn and accept the real world we are in _

the knowing and acceptance of the self_ and the necessity to learn to discern the nature of the threat before us as it is about to unfold.

Chapter 6 of his new book will be particularly unsettling for many of us:

The 'You' _ the 'This is your brain on fear' _'this is your body' _ the 'Training and you'_ 'The threats' _ 'The Environment' _'The Luck' _ 'The gifts'
'The Chaos management' _ 'The Discretionary Time'_ 'The Fight' _ and "The Intervening" _

I was pleased that something that I wrote was also included in the last page of his book.

Here it is:

"The majority of 'facing violence' is divided into tutorial units discussing specific elements of violence in self protection and how they relate to the individual's chaotic aftermath.

In a way 'Facing Violence' tells a story. It's a story of liberation, of taking the first step towards understanding the foundations of emotional survival beyond the physical"

Hopefully we will se Rory back at Summer Camp this year. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 am 

Rory's description of your various minds in different life situations_ is a must read over and over. 8O

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 am 

I googled Rory's book to send a friend a link so he could read about it himself.

I came across this -

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2011/05/fac ... lence.html

Either this Doctor didn't actually read the book....or her comprehension skills need serious attention.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 am 

:lol:

Every now and then we get people like the good doctor :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:35 am 
Site Admin

I just got it in the mail from YMAA! :D Luckily for me, I have a rare day off tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 am 

You will remain astounded by the depth of Rory's writings :D

Very addictive. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'm into chapter 3, now.
Facing Violence removes the focus on martial artists and expands the audience, while also expanding on the depth of the issues it confronts.
Great stuff. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:11 am 

Early birthday present today...How could she possibly know my choice of reading material. Chapter one into the dark side I go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:55 pm 

Excellent book. Just finished a second re-read of it. Longer review soon, but the short version; if you teach self-defense, or think you teach self-defense, read this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:43 am 

Chapter 7 of the book 'The Aftermath' is an extremely poignant read, especially the 'Psychological Aftermath' which for many will be a revelation like no other.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:24 am 

Rory has the ability to write in a very understandable manner about violence. It `s "raw" at times and even the most confident of "fighters" may (should) question themselves after reading his book(s)...If one can not at least have an open mind to question what we think is true... then it ***** to be you. However, the reader can sense his caring about people, and his honesty in the sharing of himself. There are very few individuals with the knowledge he possess in real life violence, that are able and or willing to share in a constructive manner for anyone willing to listen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm 

Good observations, Leo.

As we grow and mature in this life, we are all bombarded and influenced by myriads of individual conceptual experiences, for the most part. Most of us in TMA like to think in terms of being tough in some way…and that may go to building 'confidence'… a word we see bantered about constantly in discussions.

Many 'tough…confident' people litter the morgue this day and age.

The 'smart/tough' _litter that morgue a lot less in numbers. Herein lies the key…how to get to be 'smart tough'? How to become a 'hard target'? Physical prowess alone will not cut it.

A deep understanding of the self _ the dynamics of violence and the nature of the enemies likely to be facing us _ are key components that shape the effectiveness of any physical prowess we may have.

The noted Jeff Cooper, Marine Lt. Colonel serving in both WW2 and the Korean conflict, writes
Quote:
"The Threat of Violence"
"Any man who is a man may not, in honor, submit to
threats of violence. But many men who are not cowards
are simply unprepared for acts of human savagery. They
have not thought about it (incredible as this may
appear to anyone who reads the papers or listens to
the news) and they just don't know what to do. When
they look right into the face of depravity and
violence they are astonished and confounded"

How many of us in the martial arts think this does not apply to us because of our training and indulgence in martial lore_

It is human nature to play the game of apathy…a survival mechanism deeply ingrained, called “It Can’t Happen To Me.”

You fill out your own reasons why you think it cannot, it will not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:21 pm 

Finally finished a second re-read. Great book. Did a full review here:

http://honestphilosophy.blogspot.com/20 ... lence.html