Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Our Marines
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:59 am 

This is mesmerizing. The rifles are M1-Garands_9.5 lbs_ They can get 'very heavy' very quickly :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xteDjaN ... e=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: Our Marines
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 pm 

Hi Sensei.

The M1-Garand & the M-14 EBR are two of the very finest weapons I have ever shot. It is true they are on the heavy side, compaired to other combat rifiles they are two of the very best.

Jay Sal

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:58 am 

Thank you Jay.

You are of course correct. Did you train with the M1 or the M14 when in the USMC?

Or were you of the M-16 times?

I trained with the Garand in the Infantry and developed more than a healthy respect for the 'the Rifleman's Rifle' _especially with 'fixed bayonet' 8O

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:23 am 

Hi Sensei.

My officially assigned combat gear was the M16 service rile – 5.56 NATO, 45 cal pistol, K-Bar, and the florescent orange pocket knife with parachute cord cutter. I was also assigned from time to time the M40-A1 rifle, along with other special toys. I did train in the use of the M1 and the M14, but never actually used either one in reality (Just Training). However, in the course of my training, I came to have a great respect for the two rifles. The one main thing I loved about the two rifles was there “Dependability”. They are like my service Glock, they are “TOTTALLY DEPENDABLE” all the time.

Never once did they jam no matter what the conditions. I had them through heat, cold, rain, mud, sand, dirt, and under water for extended periods of time. Never once did they jam. They always fired true. Great weapon, even by today’s standards. Thinking of buying one of each to add to my collection one day. However, the next two items on my list to purchase are the new S&W MP 45, and the new Glock 23 Gen 4, with rails for attachments.

Take care and see you soon.

Jay Sal.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:39 pm 

Hi Jay,

Thanks. You must have really appreciated the M40-A1 _ USMC sniper rifle. As you know it was based on the Remington bolt action system.

When I last saw Joey Pep…he was going to buy that 'big fifty' sniper rifle. Did he buy it?

I think you have fired one of those, no?

The other two light Infantry weapons we carried in our unit were the .30 _ Browning machine gun [BRM 1919]

…. and the .30 BAR/Browning automatic Rifle

Both favorites of mine…though in combat the life expectancy of the 'operators' of those guns was about five minutes. :wink:

The new guns you are looking to buy are good choices….enjoy.

BTW….Gary Khoury asked me to say hello…he will be working out at our Bridgewater dojo in the near future….he wants to shake off some ankle stiffness from his hard parachute landings when in the Airborne.

How's the annual Bob Campbell's dinner arrangement coming along? You do such a fabulous job in taking care of all the details and of all your friends.

This year, if possible_ Jay…I would love to have Gary Khoury, as well as Joey Pep, sit at the table that you and my dear friend BC, always set aside for me and my friends.

We all love you, Jay.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm 

Hi Sensei.

Please let me gladly answer your questions.

Sensei wrote - You must have really appreciated the M40-A1 _ USMC sniper rifle. As you know it was based on the Remington bolt action system.

Jay - Yes, It was a very effective weapon. It did exactly what it was designed to do and it did it well. As you wrote, it was based on the bolt action Remington. It was on the slow side, but that was fine. We were always taught if it took more than "ONE" shot to accomplish your mission, you screwed up. So slow reload was acceptable.

Sensei Wrote - When I last saw Joey Pep…he was going to buy that 'big fifty' sniper rifle. Did he buy it?

Jay – No, not yet. Joey bought an MP-5. I have not seen it yet or shot it. But we plan on meeting up soon and do some serous tactical shooting. Joey is going to coach me. I have fire arm qualifications coming up soon.

Sensei Wrote - Gary Khoury asked me to say hello…he will be working out at our Bridgewater dojo in the near future….he wants to shake off some ankle stiffness from his hard parachute landings when in the Airborne.

Jay – Please tell Gary I said hello. Gary is a true hero. I have the upper most respect for him. He enlisted and joined Airborne at age 40. That alone at age 40, is a fantastic accomplishment. He is a combat vet and a true hero. It was great seeing him a little while back. He looked great. I am looking forward to visiting the Bridgewater dojo again. You have a great dojo and some really great students. You have every right to be proud of them all.

Sensei Wrote - How's the annual Bob Campbell's dinner arrangement coming along?

Jay – The dinner banquet is coming along great. I have already secured the banquet hall at the country club. The early indications are this will be another sell out. I have only 140 spots and I have already been contacted by 152 people. I will keep you posted and updated.

Sensei Wrote - This year, if possible_ Jay…I would love to have Gary Khoury, as well as Joey Pep, sit at the table that you and my dear friend BC, always set aside for me and my friends.

Jay – Already done!!! I am glad to help in any way I can Sensei. I have secured two large round tables as we spoke about. I have already spoken to Joey and his wife Anna and they are very honored to be sitting with you. I have emailed the info to Gary and waiting to hear back from him. However, the seating arraignments are all set. I will have place settings and name tags at your table.

Take care, See you soon.
Jay Sal

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm 

Quote:
Jay – No, not yet. Joey bought an MP-5. I have not seen it yet or shot it. But we plan on meeting up soon and do some serous tactical shooting. Joey is going to coach me. I have fire arm qualifications coming up soon.

You and Joey live up the good life, smile. Will his coaching be along 'sniper' training? As you well know he is a police sniper and a damn good one.

Quote:
Jay – Please tell Gary I said hello. Gary is a true hero. I have the upper most respect for him. He enlisted and joined Airborne at age 40. That alone at age 40, is a fantastic accomplishment. He is a combat vet and a true hero.

Will do, Jay. Indeed he is a true hero. During basic and advanced infantry training he was heads and shoulders over guys half his age [he was named 'soldier of the cycle' ….he also was the president of the officer training class…

….was awarded 'Brown Beret' in the 82nd Airborne before shipping out to Iraq as an Infantry captain, leading a crack Infantry unit into combat….

He originally signed up and was accepted for Special Forces training, but an unfortunate shoulder injury [from a heavy chute landing ….full combat gear…in the dead of the night] requiring surgery….made him ineligible for the Special Forces program.

A very good man and stellar friend as well.

Quote:
Jay – Already done!!! I am glad to help in any way I can Sensei. I have secured two large round tables as we spoke about. I have already spoken to Joey and his wife Anna and they are very honored to be sitting with you. I have emailed the info to Gary and waiting to hear back from him. However, the seating arraignments are all set. I will have place settings and name tags at your table.

You are the best, Jay….a true friend, a true Marine, always faithful, accommodating and protective of your true friends.

God bless,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm 

Hi Sensei.

Sensei wrote - You and Joey live up the good life, smile. Will his coaching be along 'sniper' training? As you well know he is a police sniper and a damn good one.

Jay Answer - Joey is one of the top Tactical Snipers in the Department. Just recentley he shot a perfect 400. Joey can put a round through a fles ass at 10 clicks - 1000 yards. Yes, he will be coaching me and helping me in a variety of tactical shooting and training in hand gun 40 cal, 45 cal, 9mm, and rifle 5.56-45 (223), 30-06, 308 Win, 7.62, and maybe the .338 Lapua, & maybe 50 cal. Of course I have other instructors, but Joey is one of the best of the best. There is no better. I am very thankful that he is taking the time to work with me.

See you soon. Tell everyone at the dojo I said hello.

Jay Sal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm 

:)