Post subject: The Startle Reflex
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm 

http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/startl ... reflex.htm

Quote:
A Startling Study in the Startle Reflex
By W. Hock Hochheim

Post subject: Re: The Startle Reflex
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 am 

Reminds me of Tony Blauer's SPEAR system. Also a reason that some drop their hands doing kata, something that makes no sense until you think of the startle response. Also a good reason to do bunkai from a relaxed, hands down position.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:38 am 

Al; respect to Josann.. But seriously Van? Who would you like behind your back in any Country? Tony Blaur or Whoever had enough money to publish the Ad? Or Gushi Sensei? (for instance.)

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 am 

I just toss these articles out for general information or discussion. I find the information related to the studies leading to the 'Startle Museum' as nicknamed by Dr. Simmons, to be very educational in human response action.

As it might relate to training etc., there will always be dissenting opinions. I recall similar discussions in the past on Bill's forum. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Excellent article!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:10 pm 

Josann wrote:
Reminds me of Tony Blauer's SPEAR system. Also a reason that some drop their hands doing kata, something that makes no sense until you think of the startle response. Also a good reason to do bunkai from a relaxed, hands down position.

I'm totally biased here, but it reads to me more like an attempt to slag on Tony Blauer's system while not really understanding the system at all. But that might be a combo of weariness and "emotional hijacking". Hard to tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:42 am 

I don't read Josann's comment as a knock (slag?) on anyone's system. (I also know him personally to be open minded.) I read his post as merely advocating training to develop a productive flinch (startle) response.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:03 am 

Haha... I think Joe has me and Josann mixed up.. That said.. Van I agree with GEM.. Awesome asticle and just the same way I keep buying BlackBelt magazine every month (as I have since 7 years old) I will still wish to read and learn as there is usually one or two things (out of various systems that intrigues me) That said I will try to make my humble point and that is that after various styles and going at it before I remember that I have found one perfect style for the street.. It's called Uechi Ryu..Don't care what school you came from.. Don't care who trained you.. If you are keeping your elbows close to the ribs, and your hands are in a half decent Kamai, and heck, maybe you can really kick someone with your shin instead of hurting yourself trying, then that's what I want to see... :lol:
Many can talk, few can walk... Personally, whether you, Art Rebesa, Ric Martin, Alan Dollar, or especially Brelsford or Potrekus... I'd walk into a 3rd World Country with any faster than I would a guy that has some good ideas, communicates well, and put together an interesting article.. Not saying it wasn't good and food for thought.... But I know both Mark and Rick can break baseball bats with their forearms.. So I would just rather have them behind me when I've had too much Saki... Oh I'm sorry.. I know the old Infantry man doesn't drink or get into 3rd World Counrty Bar Scraps ever... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 am 

BTW... My Bible through the Kyu Ranks was GEM's First book that was mandatory reading at the Largo Dojo at the time.. So I mean no disrespect to great men and great communicators of knowledge.. I was just asking Van from a Warrior's point of view Would you rather walk in a bad place with Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal or Kiyohide Shinjo? All very ligite and very respected in their own right...BUT IF PUSH CAME TO SHOVE??? Your thoughts Van?.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:58 am 

I'd go with Shinjo sensei, Stevie :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:18 am 

Joe Sensei has, on a number of occasions pointed out to me that this is one of the reasons that Master Gushi and Master Takara and others drop their hands at the begining of some kata, sanseiryu for example. The begining of the kata has the hands going from relaxed to moving at the start so as to initiate the very same startle response. I am certainly not knocking anybody's system, especially Blauer's as I believe it to be one of the best ways to utilize dojo techniques and TMA. I love the line "SPEAR is to bridge to your[i][/i]system," emphasis on "your." What I like about the Blauer emphasis is that he does not bash traditional training. Training with Mr Gushi tends to be one big "aha now I get it moment" and utilizing this startle as part of kata training makes it, at least for me, all come alive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 am 

Joe Graziano wrote:
I don't read Josann's comment as a knock (slag?) on anyone's system. (I also know him personally to be open minded.) I read his post as merely advocating training to develop a productive flinch (startle) response.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the article itself, not Josaan's post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:40 pm 

Art Rabessa has always said to me after observing '
this or that drill' .........now try it with your hands down ....hmmmmmm