Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: True Karate
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:40 am 

Tell GEM to set this up like Facebook!!! I definitely "Like" last comment... :lol:

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 pm 

For me there is a dualism that exists in martial arts. Sure there is the yin and the yang, and half hard concept. Sensei Mattson included the calligraphy for “glare in the eye with fast hands” in his book Uechiryu Karate-do which if you think about it also shows a dualism of a set of unmoving eyes, with rapidly moving blocks and strikes. Maybe there is a dualism in the “iron heart” calligraphy as well. I agree with Miyagi sensei, a man I was fortunate enough to work with for two weeks in 1990. The goal of karate-do should be in building power and skill to destroy your opponent and securing victory. I think however that the beauty of martial arts can also be achieved in this pursuit. If we look to the samurai sword we see a blade meant for killing that is honed in heat and sweat by its creator. Countless hours of striking the blade to clear it of impurities are comparable to the hours and years of conditioning that Uechi practitioners undergo if taught properly. The sweat of the hot furnace and countless swings of the hammer are comparable to the repetition of kata and the sweat of the brow and body from the exertion of the physical strain of creating power in movements, and the speed while remaining balanced of the movement from place to place. I think the author of this book for me created a term for what I want my kata to become.
Maybe “Lethal Elegance” a purposeful series of movements to achieve a lethal skill with an unmistakable though unintended beauty is what one should strive for in kata performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:13 pm 

Quote:
The sweat of the hot furnace and countless swings of the hammer are comparable to the repetition of kata and the sweat of the brow and body from the exertion of the physical strain of creating power in movements, and the speed while remaining balanced of the movement from place to place. I think the author of this book for me created a term for what I want my kata to become.

I agree Fred. The kata should display 'martial aspects' not ballet action...or 'flower arranging' ...I have seen examples of both as I am sure you have.

In addition to all other 'essentials' that Kata ingrains...

Katas are critical in the beginning to forge warrior spirit in addition to developing breath 'power' _ awareness of center_focus_ timing and range.

The 'whole package' becomes apparent when we look at certain individual performances, i.e, Shinjo sensei_ Nakahodo sensei_ and the many other masters too numerous to list.

One performance here at 'home' that highly impressed me was the Sanseiryu of Andre Tippet I saw at Joe Graziano's dojo during a Gushi seminar.

And not just because he is an NFL hall of famer and a huge_ superb, incredibly powerful athlete.

He put it all together in unmistakable ways from where I stood.

After watching him, anything else looks like 'flower arranging' :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm 

Yes Van Tip is a great kata practitioner which I can attest to spending many years next to him on the dojo floor in Stoughton. I wish I could have spent even more time with him but he was actively playing in the NFL at the time. Even more fun is having him explode at you with an attack in an advanced kumite.
This is when you really find out if your pretty wa-uke blocks do anything or not. It was at this time that I discovered whether my block worked or not the hard way.

Back in 90 I remember squaring up with Miyagi's son who was 14 at the time and in spite of my small stature was much smaller than I who was then 26. He conditioned harder than most of the adults I have ever trained with. He must be a powerhouse now.

The other thing that stands out in my mind was the focus he put on very low stances. With a look at his teacher one can see why.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 am 

Maybe this? :D

http://www.break.com/index/crazy-martia ... mo-2071113