Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Caught in a riot?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 am 

Quote:
In other words, the loss is more emotionally salient if you were expecting to win, and therefore more mentally disturbing and likely to trigger a temper flare and even violence against loved ones.

I have never known a Toronto Maple Leaf fan that displayed a temper flare or knew what "beating someone" meant.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/19/bc-video-good-samaritans.html

Facing the mob unarmed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 pm 

CANDANeh wrote:

I have never known a Toronto Maple Leaf fan that displayed a temper flare or knew what "beating someone" meant. :lol:

Well then, so there you go! :P

CANDANeh wrote:

Facing the mob unarmed.

Very cool!

Note that it wasn't just physical actions. These unsung heroes displayed superior body language and physical presence. I try very hard to teach this. It's the reason why some people get bitten by dogs, and others never do. Some people are constantly getting their assses kicked, and others seem always to be left alone. It isn't random.

One should never walk around inviting trouble. And I most definitely do not recommend anyone take on what these heroes did. If you don't have it in you, then don't go there. But there most definitely is a way to swim through the pond in a manner that makes you appear too difficult to eat for lunch.

- Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am 

Bill Glasheen wrote:
Another brand of idiot - mostly anarchists by political persuasion - can be found whenever world leaders meet over the state of economies. They make sympathy for their cause an act of futility.

You can still have sympathy for a cause... Those people aren't "anarchists" in the traditional sense. Anarchy has become equated with "raping and pillaging" and all manner of bad things. The term actually just means "lack of government". Generally speaking, someone who understands the full implications of that doesn't subscribe to a belief in "raping and pillaging and all manner of badness"... Those who do (believe that it means "raping and pillaging"), as you point out, are idiots. And give the whole concept of anarchy as "individual responsibility to live at peace with others while being free to make your own life decisions" no chance to thrive into the collective conciousness of "society" as a whole. (Side note: "Anarchy" does not mean "No Society") The misrepresentation of what "anarchy" actually is has caused most true "anarchists" to change what they call themselves to one of a number of other terms that are more "user friendly".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 am 

if you've ever gone to a kids hockey game, i mean young kids, in this country, the mentality that drives these fiascos is not hard to see. parents of little kids 10 - 12 years old, yelling "get him" at the kids on the ice. it's sickening. and these are the parents who frown on "combat" sports because it gives the "wrong" message.

dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 am 

Quote:
parents of little kids 10 - 12 years old, yelling "get him" at the kids on the ice.

Yeah there`s something about the bleachers in Canadian rinks that brings out a little of the "dark side" and all manners go out the window. Venting of frustrations at the rinks allows the politicians of this land to rule without fear :lol: Although the "Get em boy" moms and dads sometimes get into shoving matches and the odd fist fight, they are not the rioting type. Growing up we only had two television stations so therefore my friends and I spent a lot of time at the rink down the street (seemed to be where the tribe gathered). Was a valuable lesson to learn that "Mr Smith" who drove the school bus could become a "Mr. Hyde" and everyone accepted that as "normal". The local arena is a great place to safely observe the "darker side" that most normally keep under control/hidden.