Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 am 

Hello Van,

Rory Miller has left us today, five days after his arrival…. Today was a lonely day and a day full of many unanswered questions… a good thing because I am confident no one who participated in Rory’s program wanted him to leave and we were filled to capacity…

Not sure where to start…

Rory has “It” and you and I having spoken privately of “It” and we have discussed it on these very pages…

Rory has “It”; I am not sure how to articulate what “It” is Van… you just to know you’re in the presence of it… I have only met a few of these gifted individuals in my lifetime and some are our mutual friends…

Rory has exceptional speed, power & explosiveness... Rory is a tactician, playing, observing, processing all the time…

Rory has a unique ability to deliver an honest and accurate presentation explaining violence. And not the kind you see on movies or read about crime novels… Violence that happens because bad people are skilled at violence, it’s what they do, it’s what they train for and it is part of their everyday existence… it’s easy. Not so much for the good guys and girls.

Rory masters an unprecedented approach to physiological and sociological aspects of violence through his presentation style leaving participants with a heightened depth and understanding of the difficult subject matter of self preservation. And maybe more so for martial artist who may have previously concluded they had all the information they needed…

We played, we broke bread, and we became friends… Sometimes you bump into Kindred Spirit and these are gifts.

Quote:
Kindred Spirit
From Wikipedia; an Unexplained Supernatural Unmanifested Energy.

A small section from Rory’s blog a few months back and the blog is a gift for those who have not discovered it...
SATURDAY, APRIL 16, 2011

Quote:
Perspective

…. Not everyone does things for the same reason. Some people will get what I do, some won't. Some won't get it because they have no frame of reference and are simply incapable of truly understanding certain experiences. It's not a matter of intelligence or taste or opinion or anything internal. I will never understand childbirth. Seen it, trained to assist, I know all the words... but I don't get it. Not the way that K does.

And I will do everything in my power to make sure that she never 'gets' some of the things that I do.

Others won't get it because it threatens a piece of their identity. This isn't a bad thing or a good thing. We all get our identity from some pretty weird places. For entirely too long my identity was completely tied to three strips of cloth on my arm, just as an example.

What we train to do is one thing. As long as it stays abstract, as long as you never actually break a human being, there's no real identity in that end state. Whether you break a person with a kick or a body slam or an axe handle, it's imaginary until you do it. But how you train, that's real. Something you tangibly do, every day. That's where the identity lies. And if we pretend or believe that the end state (a broken threat) is the real reason, our training must serve that, right? So our training must be correct, right? To challenge that is to challenge identity….

In closing Van, you are a good friend… Sensei “Jimmy” Maloney and the lovely Bridget send their love and best wishes. We will see you at camp. It may have been someone’s birthday today…

Rory if you find this post, thank you my brother for blessing us with your presence, your candor, your perspective… thank you for your style and courage to speak to the depths and understanding of this difficult subject matter; your work is important and you are saving lives… sleep well knowing this.

Sensei Maloney told us you were one of the “Good Guys”, we spoke this evening of your trip, your impact… Thank you, Sir.

Shane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 am 

Hi Shane,

So good to hear from you, my good friend.

With your perceptive mindset about street violence you and I have discussed at length when we met and on these pages_ I knew that you would enjoy Rory's extraordinary approaches to it. As you write
Quote:
Rory masters an unprecedented approach to physiological and sociological aspects of violence through his presentation style leaving participants with a heightened depth and understanding of the difficult subject matter of self preservation. And maybe more so for martial artist who may have previously concluded they had all the information they needed…

All there in a nutshell and something not easily understood for the TMAs unless they attend his _at times_ unsettling symposiums…as he brings them _ up close and personal with his true life experiences…the real teachers…leaving the martial arts 'assumptions' in a dead field…yet he never knocks the traditional arts, he being one of the 'crowd' but with an insight difficult to define.

Not a 'blow hard' always wearing his heart on the sleeve…

Becoming a good tactician requires extreme self discipline, motivation, imagination, and calculation, that _ even when things go wrong, they create practical chances _ and repeatedly finesse a way out of trouble.

This is the 'it' you refer to when it comes to Rory, in my view.

Take what you posted as per Rory's writings
Quote:
1.]…. Not everyone does things for the same reason. Some people will get what I do, some won't. Some won't get it because they have no frame of reference and are simply incapable of truly understanding certain experiences.

2.]Others won't get it because it threatens a piece of their identity.

Wiser words never spoken. And when in the past, I presented ancillary such concepts on my page…we were presented with the same dark lack of understanding…it is simply a human trait.

As I have said many times before, you and other Canadian students are indeed lucky to be under the guidance of an exceptional sensei and friend like Mr. Maloney, who has the gift to recognize the handful of the stellar technicians populating our midst and the sagaciousness of bringing each and everyone of them in touch with the Canadian group making you guys the very best at understanding and teaching the concepts of self preservation.

I am sure there will be more to come and certainly, Rory is the one tech. your group could benefit from regular visits.

I share your good feelings of friendship, Shane, as you mentioned…it is wonderful to see kindred spirits at work.

Looking forward to seeing you, Jim and Bridget at camp…it should be a good time.

Happy day to that 'someone'… :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:32 am 

Here is something reported on another forum
Quote:
My bad experience yesterday

Yesterday, I picked up my kids (ages 11 and 8) from school and was driving home. Normally, I have a handgun on my person (at 1:30 position), but my back was killing me and I was only armed with a can of pepper spray. And, heck, it was just a few miles to the school.

On the way home with my kids, I came to an intersection, stopped, and proceeded to turn right. After I got into the road, I moved into the fast lane. I don't know if I cut the guy off or not, but he flew up on my tail, honked his horn, drove around to my right, flipped me off, and then cut me off by swinging into my lane and slamming on his brake.

He came to dead stop in the middle of the street,a t an angle, so as to stop all traffic and stop me. I came to a stop as I had nowhere to go. I never escalated anything by saying anything to him or flipping him off in kind. My kids are my primary responsibility, and I figured if I kept my mouth shut, this crackpot would go away. But he didn't.

I sat in the car with my kids while all traffic came to a stop behind me. I had nowhere to go. I figured I'd wait for him to step out of his car and show his hand as to whether or not he was armed.

Now imagine what will go through one's mind at that moment...thinking self preservation for him and his children.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am 

The most dangerous place to be is between a parent and a child... even more so between a mother and her child!

:evilbat:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 am 

Here is another situation...think of the tactics...not 'all is in sanchin' :lol:

Quote:
I to have had something similar happen.

25 MPH in my neighborhood which was the speed I was going. Pickup comes up behind me and rides my bumper. When the location was reasonable I got over to let him go around me. He goes around me fast and then cuts me off exactly as described and gets out yelling .. I just sat in the car hands on wheel, foot on brake, car in drive.

A biker was passing by at the time and stopped and she just stared at the guy (I still have a clear mental image of both), she to was having a WFT moment after having seen what happened and his sensely yelling ... Asking if I wanted to fight .....

This was long ago, the idea of weapons was no where in my thought processes at that time. But trying to break a window or open my door was, thus I was ready to use the car as my defensive tool. And I would have done so.

He finally stopped, got in his pickup, and drove off. I spent the rest of the day reviewing it in my mind and could not figure it out then nor since.