It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbz0ZnG ... ure=fvwrel
Love this type of sparring.....oss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:37 pm 

Sal Jaber wrote:

Love this type of sparring.....oss

Very much like the type of sparring that Shinjo Seiyu conducted in his Kadena dojo. You couldn't punch to the head and you couldn't kick to the groin. But it was OK to kick to the head and punch to the groin. :twisted: There are some bad habits developed with this type of sparring such as the obvious examples of leaving the head and face open to quick hands, elbows, and head butts. But it's a very good exercise for conditioning the body and demanding more of a practitioner's martial repertoire.

Long time no see, my friend. I pass through Hot-lanta all the time in-between my two home bases. Are you coming to camp? Can I drop by some time in-between The Old Dominion and The Bluegrass State?

And can you help me get that Bruce guy off his derriere - for his own sake? ;)

- Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:42 pm 

Hi Sal,

Thanks for posting this. Hope all is well.
Quote:
There are some bad habits developed with this type of sparring such as the obvious examples of leaving the head and face open to quick hands, elbows, and head butts. But it's a very good exercise for conditioning the body and demanding more of a practitioner's martial repertoire.

I second that, Bill. It is a type of sparring that is very taxing on the 'wind' and heavy on conditioning.

But as you say, it must used carefully and not too often as it will ingrain bad habits.

As it is, we see Uechi people leaving their faces wide open...sometimes leading with their faces...in Dan tast sparring and even some tournaments...and the resulting 'face smacking' and the 'indignation' of the 'smackee' ...after the hit.

When most of the practice is confined to 'blocking' punches to the body...the brain begins to think there is a 'force shield' around the face and it refuses to protect it.

A fact most Uechi people will continue to deny...until you put gloves on them and ask them to see how well they can do against a kick boxer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:39 pm 

Kyokushin guys are tough. Andres Jeudi, one of our Muay Thai/MMA fighters, told me that one of the hardest kicks he ever took in a fight was from a Kyokushin guy. Andres does not impress easily.