Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The #1 street attack
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 pm 

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=OrYk_& ... NRKrImTadQ

Quote:
I love interrogating my cop buddies.

They spend all day interviewing people and it’s fun to turn the tables on them.

My favorite question to ask them?

“What’s the number one street attack that the bad guys are using right now?”

I asked my friend Officer Von that exact question the other day.

He said that the number one unarmed attack that he’s seen lately is a variation of the double leg pick up from wrestling.

He said that the bad guy shoots in, bear hugs your knees or ankles and then lifts you up and dumps you on your side.

From there he “grounds and pounds” you.

If he’s alone or if he’s with his friends, they’ll toe kick and stomp kick you when you’re down.

If the bad guys in your area are successfully using a specific attack regularly then it only makes good self defense sense to practice defending against such attacks.

Do your own research and ask your own local law enforcement about what attacks they’re seeing in your community.

Your answer could be different than mine.

But…to practice self defense against the takedown I just described, I would approach it by chunking the pieces of the attack down…

Training Plan To Defeat The Number One Street Fight Takedown
◦The first thing that you want to practice is SPOTTING the takedown attempt (Hint: look for the level change in your training partner’s shoulders!)
◦Next, you’ll practice defense against the takedown, such as “sprawling”
◦Then (just in case), you’ll want to train in how to fall safely if you ARE taken down

◦Also, see how quickly you can get back on your feet after hitting the ground
◦And finally, if you can’t get up immediately, you need to know how to survive being ground and pounded and/or kicked when you’re down, possibly by multiple attackers

Each self defense system may take a different view on the actual self defense techniques used in these scenarios.

But when it comes to your training, you want to model any self defense techniques or tactics that are successfully being used in real street fights against fully resisting attackers, even if the techniques are being used by the bad guys.

I’ve included this takedown into my combatives program years ago after researching how inmates fight in prisons and you should develop your own response to this street fight scenario with your own self defense techniques.
_ Brian Stein

Post subject: Re: The #1 street attack
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm 

Do you feel 'adequate' with the Seisan bunkai approach to this attack?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm 

Sorry Van, but I must disagree with the foundation of the quoted article, and I know that many of my law enforcement brothers and sisters internationally will agree with me.

There is no doubt with the popularity of MMA, we have seen an increase in the techniques used in the cage flowing over to the street BUT, the "number one street attack that the bad guys are using today" is the sucker punch that is usually set up with a "street interview". One only has to go to You Tube to have a look at the thousands of street fights caught on CCTV or camera phones, to see this dynamic in play.

Too much time is spent on the contact phase of a confrontation (which is very important) BUT most street confrontations can be won or lost at the "pre-contact" phase. IMO more time needs to be spent understand this "pre-contact" phase and what we can do to interdict criminal intent before it reaches the contact phase. Have a read of my article on this very topic called Street 101 that can be located here: http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/articles/

Darren
http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 pm 

Hi Darren,

Always great to see you post. Glad you cleared that up.

And your articles are right on the money.

Hope all is well, my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 pm 

The take down ,I seem to recall using this as a kid ,and being also on the receiving end ,rough and ready by the way ,similar to rugby scrums ,you do spot it on the street ,plus more so nowadays ,but like Darren I would not say it was no1 .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:55 pm 

Hi Max,

Thanks for the post. How i have seen the 'shoot' on the street is by the assailant first suckering you with an overhand_ [Hay maker] then while you are dealing with that...he will drop his shoulders and go down into a shoot.

I don't think we will see too many 'shoots' [though there will be a few who attack this way] that happen as a 'first strike' and from a distance...as it is practiced in our Seisan bunkai...I don't allow my students to follow the standard bunkai format...one good way to get your head shoved into a trash can. :mrgreen:

Though our bunkai is only a 'conceptual guide' the problem is, as I have written before over and over...that you do enough of those drills, and your brain will mistake them as the 'real thing' on the street...where your ass will be handed to you unceremoniously. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:26 pm 

Sal Jaber posted this on Bill's forum. It seems apropos to post this here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys7m4-Na ... re=related

Watch how the Uechi man/you or I/anybody...can get caught by a 'shoot' in a split second and unable to do much about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:32 pm 

See yourself as the man taken down, ending up in a 'lockup' then slammed to the ground ...his back hitting the ground over and over.

Question: This is supposedly a Uechi man being taken down...

1.Why is it that his 'seisan bunkai' defense did not materialize?

2. And if it had...would it have worked?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:58 am 

Part of the problem in the scenario in seisan bunkai is that unless the person has trained in grappling they are shooting half heartedly or ineffectively. Elements of the seisan bunkai can be useful if the sprawl is taught along with the follow up counters.

I think the technique is useful although I often add a guillotine choke. This is what I tended to do in Judo when attacked this way, often by BJJ guys that had switched to judo. Of course the knee strike was not allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 am 

This is one here Van that I am surprised no-one posted on the forum.
Straight up Dan kumite jump kick that took out one of the greatest MMA of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIpzNFZpo8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:08 am 

f.Channell wrote:
This is one here Van that I am surprised no-one posted on the forum.
Straight up Dan kumite jump kick that took out one of the greatest MMA of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIpzNFZpo8

Good kick....but would we recommend this in a street fight?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 am 

I don't know Van, but it worked here. Five hours in the dentists chair after just for starters. That is with a mouthpiece.

Thinking about this today I had to wonder why the Uechi guy in the video was doing roundhouse kicks to the leg which they train for. Instead of front kicks that are more ingrained by our kata?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:43 am 

It certainly did work there in a sporting context. In the street, leaving the ground, especially under a 'hormonal grip' _ which is absent in sporting events_ is, in my view an 'iffy' undertaking with chances of missing, losing balance, tossed over etc. As a soccer player, I did many of those flying kicks, mostly getting jammed and hitting the ground upside down.

The reason why I teach my students not to do too many 'flying techniques' too many times in drills, lest they surface at the wrong time.

Quote:
Thinking about this today I had to wonder why the Uechi guy in the video was doing roundhouse kicks to the leg which they train for. Instead of front kicks that are more ingrained by our kata?

Good question, Fred.

Joey Pomfret will not use a front kick in MMA competition, because he knows that the fighters in that arena train to meet that kick head on by 'shooting' down on it and taking the opponent down. Having attended most of Joey's fights as a 'corner man' I have seen that happen over and over.

The 'ingraining' of a technique will make it surface 'involuntarily' under the hormonal stress of self defense combat in the street…whereas…in a sporting event…when the 'hormonal response' is at a minimum [you know the fight will be stopped before you get seriously hurt] many techniques, such as the front kick, can be kept in check for tactical reasons_ the why you don't see many such kicks in mixed martial arts fights in the ring. The fighters know their opponent hopes they throw that kick so they can 'shoot' jam _ it _ and take them down.

On the survival side….We had an occasion, involving two brothers_ both Bob Bethoney students_ who were attacked by multiple assailants in an open field in Brockton…they had knives.

They caught up with them, and later in the dojo …they both stated to me…"Van, I could do nothing else but 'flick my front kick' at those guys." Fortunately they were able to get away with minor cuts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm 

Historically, I've been the big, flat-footed oaf sparring often younger and usually more athletic guys at Fedele's. However, I always tell the young, fast, athletic ones that I love it when they use flying techniques. Although I get nailed now and again, it's one of the few times that that I know exactly where they are going to be. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm 

Right on mike :) Nothing like swatting a flying mosquito :D

And why don't we see any front/side flying kicks in the 'big three'?