Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SURVIVE OR THRIVE?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 am 

This is an article by Gabe Suarez that hits 'dead center'
Quote:
Every so often we see the resurgence of the "hunker down and wait for the nuke to go off" mentality and discussions about focusing on needs begin anew at warriortalk. And I find myself reminding those around me that such an attitude does not become Americans.

Sadly, very few of our countrymen have ever ventured out of the country and do not realize that even the poorest of us has it far better and is far more "successful" than our counterparts around the world.

What separates us is that Americans admire and seek success, we do not envy or scorn it. Life is not doom and gloom. It is beautiful and filled with promise of opportunity and adventure to those who have the mind set to notice.

The Cooper quote below nails it -

"Nobody needs a scout rifle. Nobody needs a Ferrari. Nobody needs a box at the opera. And nobody needs an Aerostar.

The question is not what you need, but rather what you want-and how much do you want it.

In my own view, it is better to own one really good rifle than six or eight approximations. But that is just my view, and people with other opinions are welcome to them. "

I would add that nobody needs a college education at a famous university...nobody needs a nice home on several acres...nobody needs a south seas island vacation.

Today lots of guys talk about need, but that is the wrong forcus to base a life.

All you need is food and shelter, and perhaps a woman.

All other things are arguable. Look at a dog living on the street. His needs are the same as your needs...but that is no life.

America...the REAL America was built on WANT and not NEED. Nobody needed to tame the west or walk on the moon....quite a point of fact...nobody else did.

America is made up of risk taking achievers, and not welfare recipients receiving government checks.

But Americans wanted it...and attained it. When Neil Armstrong wakes up in the morning he doesn't think, "You know....I could have....."

Life is made up of the quality of things and events around us.

Sure, the people we surround ourselves with are a big factor, as is what we pursue for a career, and what we hold as core beliefs. But after that, all of those material things that are eschewed by those who cannot have them make up the rest.

The spacious house will bring more smiles than the tenement apartment. The new camaro will bring more joy to the commute than the used AMC Pacer. The filet mingnon will taste far better than the Big Mac.

And the pursuit of attaining those things is just fine, and quite proper...and well, American. So enjoy your life, your success, and seek more of it American.

When you are 89 years old sitting on that rocking chair you will not be thinking of all the money you saved by eating at BK, vacationing in the parking lot at Wally world, or driving that old car....you will be wishing you had actually lived your life rather than simply having gotten to the finish line without spending a dime.

Post subject: Re: SURVIVE OR THRIVE?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 am 

Quote:
you will not be thinking of all the money you saved by eating at BK

Sorry for distracting from the point, but no one should be eating BK to stay alive or save money. It's 1000% more expensive than making your own food and 1000% (my estimate) worse for you.

Walk your moon walk on home cooked burgers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 pm 

Agree :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 pm 

I don't care too much about saving money on a burger (though I think a Whopper only costs maybe 3x what it would cost the home cook to make, ground beef being about $3.50/lb and the leaner types even more). I'm more of a cold sandwich or chicken-filet guy when grabbing a quick bite, and I've been known to spend an hour and a half cooking something Indian for lunch the next day at work if we have no leftovers, but I digress.

I decided a few years ago that I was done with cheaper cuts of steak than beef tenderloin (which is filet mignon at the small end). Although some fattier cuts like the rib-eye are thought to taste better, and some tougher cuts like a good sirloin have a more robust flavor, I don't actually like that much fat, and I appreciate the tenderness of filet mignon. Beef tenderloin is kind of decent in terms of fat content, and by sticking to that, the cost for a family of 5 reduces our "use" to once every two or three months, which is probably good considering whatever kernel of truth there is in the notion that red meat is intrinsically bad for you. I make them on a charcoal grill at home because most restaurants can not make them as well as I do, and they charge an arm and a leg to give me something less. I will give one notable exception. If you get a chance to eat at III Forks in Dallas ( http://www.3forks.com/ ), order the filet. It will cost you, but you won't regret it.