Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 pm 

Quote:
So what’s the remedy?

LC: High-repetition training. Don’t stop at three sets of ten reps, but do 10 sets of 10 reps, and do them every possible way you can: standing, sitting, lying, getting up, falling down.

It’s all about ingraining the technique.

Stress training. Practice the technique against two to four opponents coming at you. Sign up for a model mugging class, one in which you’re forced to function under high levels of stress.

Competition: What is good about competing is that it forces you to deal with your fear.

It’s scary in the ring, but in time you will learn to function with a fear-and adrenaline-induced accelerated heart rate.

Just keep the negative aspects mentioned earlier about competition in mind.

Post subject: On writing...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:03 pm 

LC
Quote:
The Japanese word sanchin means “three conflicts:’ the body, mind and spirit. Every time you train or write, you face a body that wants to snooze on the sofa, a mind that wants to vegetate in front of the television, and a spirit that wants to take the easy way.

Facing these three conflicts is tough, some days really tough. Learning to fight them, learning to control them, and learning to conquer them is part of what being a writer and a martial artist is all about.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 pm 

Quote:
Any regrets?

LC: Of course. When I was younger there were times when I used more force than was necessary. In my twenties, I hit a guy in the chest so hard that he had a heart seizure.

It was a long night waiting to see if he was going to live.

It was self-defense, but there were other ways I could have handled the situation. I’m ashamed of it, but I tell my students about it as an example of how we’re all responsible for our actions.

My life would have been different had he died and so would the lives of his loved ones. His would have ended.

What we do affects a lot of people. As martial artists, we must be responsible for the weapon we possess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:34 am 

Van Sensei,

Great footage of Mike Stone... and what you said in quotes makes me think I should train more... which means its probably true. I see that when you are in a competitive battle with loosely enforced rules its pretty dire. I guess what we can get from this is that, apart from specialized training, good old-fashioned dojo free fighting, if you let it get somewhat hard, can be scary if you're facing a superior opponent, but invaluable.

A story...
I was training at a local Goju school just to get some experience in their fighting and kata, my regular style being (pretty much) Pangainoon. Having almost no free fighting experience, as a result of training privately, I was surprised at how well I could hold my own in free fighting. I attribute this to having a teacher who came from that 60's environment, and knows how to teach defense, striking etc.

I had numerous sparring sessions with a senior student, who was big and fast, and strong, and would easily out-fight me. We went at it hard. I knew I could trust him (we sparred with no pads or gloves, pulled strikes to the head, and controlled bodily contact), we each got bruised a bit, a little blood here and there, but nothing except good training, respect and fun for us both. We even got comments from other students, telling us to take it down a bit...

Then I met a visiting student, a shodan at the time (same as me) who I could do nothing with. This guy came from Australia, and trained at a dojo that sparred much harder than we did. I got hit easily, out tricked by a guy with a lot of experience. Made me wish I was training at his dojo, or had some of my sensei's other students to spar with (who are spread out over the country).

Anyway, I value the perspective I get from this forum, always great conversations, even when I just read them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:20 pm 

Good points Neb and thanks for the good words about our forum.

I agree that the best way to develop 'engaging' capabilities_ if you will, since there will always be a question that tough dojo or tournament matches are not real street fights, which is true_ is in fact long exposure to 'ring work' in particular, because there will be subliminal fears to overcome, whether this ring exposure comes in tournament format [usually best] or dojo matches against invited guests from other schools/styles…as we did at the Mattson Academy years back where we had an open door policy.

GM can tell you some stories hard to believe but true.

Again, a street fight involves the 'engaging' of body and mind in a violent maelstrom of emotions and presupposed skills…

The attributes developed in the above 'self testing' in the ring…too various to even mention, but you know what I mean…certainly help when the 'real thing' arrives at your door step.

One very demanding and useful sparring practice, not for the faint of heart, is the Mas Oyama system as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP65_CiHzz0

At the Mattson Academy, we were once treated to a similar way of 'engagement' by visiting Japanese collegiate champions_ Moto Yamakura and Taro Tanaka [street fighter extraordinaire]

They were so good that they ended up fighting Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris in the quarter finals at Chow's 'All American' tournament in New York.

As learning to overcome your fears…you must also imagine dealing with the trepidation of signing your name on the application to fight…after you see fighters in the group such as Lewis, Norris, Urquidez, Daniels etc. who would take your head off in an instant.

Many ways of looking at this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 am 

"Sadly, bunny taps and sloppy techniques are awarded points, thus leaving the fighter with the false belief that his skill is effective."

Billy Blanks tried those 'bunny taps' in East Lyme , Ct . once .........funny how a toe kick to the bladder levels these 'posers... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Admin

robb buckland wrote:
"Sadly, bunny taps and sloppy techniques are awarded points, thus leaving the fighter with the false belief that his skill is effective."

Billy Blanks tried those 'bunny taps' in East Lyme , Ct . once .........funny how a toe kick to the bladder levels these 'posers... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to see that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:37 pm 

...........had a video of the 'Schooling of Billy Blanks' but mom cleaned out the attic and............ :cry: {Bob Dus was there that day, so was Ed Parker, Tokey Hill, Steve 'Nasty' Anderson, Chuck Merriman ect. sooooo I guess it's just a legend now...Thanks Mom..}

"....learning to overcome your fears…you must also imagine dealing with the trepidation of signing your name on the application to fight…after you see fighters in the group such as Lewis, Norris, Urquidez, Daniels etc. who would take your head off in an instant."

Our first line of defense as always is psychological....with these fighters though it is not an example of False Evidence Appearing Real !!! :lol: :lol: