It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Warning
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Defend against THIS!

Post subject: Re: No Warning
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:33 pm 

Wonder what the trigger was for the attack. Maybe the attacker was envious or there had been some previous mouthing off.

There is no defense against this type of assault, unless there is some sort of advance warning to be perceived…in which case…best to gracefully remove one self from harm's way.

One case I had down the South shore of Boston, involved bikers in a family bar/restaurant…getting shut off liquor by the bartender.

They left in a huff threatening to come back later and destroy the place.

Families having dinner at the table decided to ignore the warning and move on…as did the bartender who did not even call the police…what an idiot.

Fifteen minutes later five of those bikers invaded the restaurant with baseball bats, first bashing the customers at the tables and next destroying the bar before fleeing.

A father of three was killed sitting at the table.

Our company paid some big money to the Estate, because the bartender was judged to be negligent in not calling the police and not taking some preventive steps to protect the patrons.

When we think of our abilities for self defense...think again...where will the violence come from...what form of violence will it be...who will be the enemy ??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm 

I feel like there must be some context to this that we're not privy to for this. Unless the attacker is just completely insane (which is possible), it seems very strange for a restaurant patron to just suddenly decide to assault another one.

Not IMPOSSIBLE, just odd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 pm 

Interesting that the chick didn't seem frightened at all. Might help to have audio. I can understand doing nothing at first, but when she did act, she seemed to take it as a man-to-man thing and that she wasn't in danger. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Call me paranoid, but when I'm seated at a restaurant, I always think about what direction I can sit to give me the best chance of seeing a threat coming. Now that I think of it, maybe when I ate lunch with Rory at Summerfest I should have let him watch the door, me being just an amateur and all. :lol: I can't say that I always have a good solution, though, nor am I claiming anything about how I would have handled that. Just saying there's a good chance I would have been seated the other way and noticed whether this guy approaching. Not seeing him coming or maybe even knowing he is there can't help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 am 

Quote:
Interesting that the chick didn't seem frightened at all. Might help to have audio. I can understand doing nothing at first, but when she did act, she seemed to take it as a man-to-man thing and that she wasn't in danger. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

These are actually very good observations, Mike. By what you point out, it is possible that she knew the assailant as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 am 

You know what else I noticed? The waitress is hot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:05 am 

She is. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:21 am 

All excellent observations above.

I just had one additional comment.

Jake Steinmann wrote:
I feel like there must be some context to this that we're not privy to for this. Unless the attacker is just completely insane (which is possible), it seems very strange for a restaurant patron to just suddenly decide to assault another one.

Not IMPOSSIBLE, just odd.

To start with... I had a situation once that ALMOST evolved into something like this. A drunk came in and was making comments. I said something back, and didn't bother to look in the direction of the mouthing individual. Sigh... I was young, and lucky. The fellow eventually got into a fight with someone else.

These days I NEVER sit with my back to a room. I ... just ... can't ... do ... it!!!!! Too many years of 3-on-1 randori. :lol:

But it's worth mentioning that "completely insane" does happen. It happened once a few years ago in downtown Richmond. For no reason, a man with a history of schizophrenia chose to assault a woman in broad daylight, in front of God and everyone, on the sidewalk of a busy street. He repeatedly stabbed her until she died.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 am 
Site Admin

My guess? the attacker was the girl's brother. She didn't even seem apologetic to the guy she'd been sitting with. Possibly the victim said something offensive to the girl? I do not think this was a random crazy act. His body language is all wrong for that. It did look like he was shouting at the victim once he had him on the ground and stopped hitting him.

I agree about not sitting with my back to a room. I was proud of my wife when she noticed one day out of the blue.

The waitress was not unattractive. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:24 pm 

Right on Bill as to the 'nuts' out there.

One case I had was a strange one at the Paramount cinema downtown Boston.

The cashier, a comely young lady, sitting in her ticket booth, the door to it left unlocked around the bend.

Some miserable 'sicko' opens the door and stabs the poor girl with a butcher knife, cutting her liver in two pieces.

Thankfully she made it through, though she had to have extensive rehab both physically and psychologically.

The reason for the attack?

The 'sicko' said she had reminded him of his ex girl friend that had dumped him.

Jason
Quote:
My guess? the attacker was the girl's brother. She didn't even seem apologetic to the guy she'd been sitting with. Possibly the victim said something offensive to the girl?

It sounds plausible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 pm 

Quote:
Wal-Mart was the scene of a brutal murder on Tuesday afternoon. A 74-year-old man was savagely beaten with a bat inside of the sporting goods section at the Wal-Mart in Lakewood, California. The attack took place just before 5pm, which is rather unnerving because it is still a highly populated time during daylight hours.

The Wal-Mart quickly became a scene of panic as horrified witnesses and shoppers were ushered out of the store as the police swarmed the parking lot. The elderly man was shopping by himself when he was suddenly and violently attacked from behind.

This brutal attack, which resulted in his death, was caught in its entirety on the security cameras. Police arrested the 42-year-old suspect, but are still somewhat baffled by what motivated this seemingly unprovoked attack, citing it as a “random act of violence.” Lt. Eddie Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department commented that, “There does not appear to be any conversation or any exchange of any type of communication.”

After the attack, the suspect walked out of the store where police immediately arrested him. According to the video, the suspect impulsively hits the victim from behind with no warning, and proceeds to beat him to death; the attack ends as abruptly as it started. The victim, whose identity is still yet to be released, was pronounced dead on the scene.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm 

Quote:
There appears to be no altercation of any kind between the victim and the attacker, from the video it seems as though the elderly man did not even see his attacker coming until it was too late.

The murder weapon was an aluminum bat that the suspect picked off the shelf just before viciously beating the elderly man. Witnesses described the suspect as possibly homeless and “on edge”, but according to Hernandez, “He wasn’t saying much so it’s unclear (what) his mental state (was) at this point.”

One witness, shopper Jennifer Thompson was just around the corner during the attack. “It was terrible. I could hear it, but I didn’t know he was getting beat up until I went to peek around the corner, and he was laying there in a pool of blood,” she said.

Another shopper, John Rouse had no idea what the commotion was about, but he saw the suspect being chased out of the store and apprehended. “He just kind of walked out the door and gave up.

There was no physical confrontation. He just sat down and gave up” said Rouse, who began filming the arrest on his cell phone. This is not the first attack for Wal-Mart or for Lakewood.

It has been reported that since 2007, Lakewood has had at least 18 homicides, and Wal-Marts are notorious for crimes, due to their lack of security.