Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: CCW Advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:22 pm 

I figured all that had to be in a database.
thanks

Post subject: Re: CCW Advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 pm 

Here is more from my state Trooper friend
Quote:
Van,

I would totally agree that a person in Mass that had a LTC is generally a very good citizen. Since Mass is very strict.

As far as asking someone that has done nothing really wrong to get out of the car, I guess it is ok with consent.

But I have never really seen someone be asked to get out of the car for no reason. But given consent by someone gives the officer a lot more avenues to explore if he wants.

Now that I think about it, I had a situation with a LTC on a motor vehicle stop. He did tell me ahead of time and I did have him get out of the truck.

I believe his vehicle was unregistered so by law, I have the right to get him out and inventory the car if I want.

I could also ask him if he has any weapons or give a quick pat frisk.

I didn't search the car but I did have him tell me about the gun and then I visibly located the gun.

I just wanted to be aware where it was in case any other situations arose from this stop other than the unregistered vehicle. You never know.

I don't think I would get consent to ask someone to step out of the car if I knew ahead they had a LTC and they did not do anything that warranted me to get them out. As long as I'm aware they got it and where it is.

But I guess I could see an officer do it. Its a very gray area. Its a little far fetched but maybe the reason the operator was going way above the speed limit is because he committed a domestic assault on his wife and he fled the scene. However I don't know he did this.

Now I stop him on RT 95 and he shows me his LTC and tells me its on his ankle. I'm fine with that and as I'm running his license and registration through the computer, he gets nervous that I found out about the assault.

He step out and shoots me through the wind shield. Again this is a little far fetch but anything is possilbe and would have been avoided if I got consent to have him step out.

There are some really tough decisions we have to make. 99 out of 100 people are good people but it just takes that one nut to do you in and you don't go home to your family.

Hope this helps a little