Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:18 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/02/should-firing-warning-shots-over-suspected-thieves-be-allowed.html

Quote:
Firing warning shots over the heads of property thieves or intruders would be considered a reasonable response under changes to Canada's self-defence law, says the attorney general.

Firing into the air to scare would-be criminal is reasonable, says justice minister. Justice Minister Rob Nicholson made the remark when answering questions in a committee meeting about Bill-26, the Citizen's Arrest and Self-Defence act.

Fort McMurray MP Brian Jean raised "some cases in Alberta" in which people have stolen all-terrain vehicles or other personal property, then used "firearms shot in the air, or shot around the people (trespassing)."

"Would that be a reasonable use of defence in the circumstances?" he asked.

"I think it is," responded Nicholson.

The Canadian Bar Association said Nicholson is sending a bad message in a very nuanced area of the law.

"All it's going to take is someone to shoot 10 inches too low in the dark and take someone's head off and that person is going to be up on murder charges," said Eric Gottardi, vice-chair of the CBA's criminal justice section.

I`m a bad shot anyway so I`m all for it :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

The other problem is that you are responsible for every bullet you fire as to where it ends up and what injury/damage it may cause.

Assume you fire over a home intruder's head, missing him but sending the bullet into your neighbor's bedroom window and killing someone. Now what?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

How responsible the shooter is would likely depend greatly on their location. (If I lived in Canada, there's no way in Hell I'd do it). A few months ago an Amish girl was riding a horse-and-buggy home when she was struck by a bullet. She later died. The bullet was fired a mile and a half away, a stray shot. It was a completely accidental death. No charges were filed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm 

True enough.

And what about falling bullets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm 

Quote:
Opposition MPs also said that warning shots are inherently dangerous.

"Shooting a gun over their heads is essentially threatening to shoot them," said NDP justice critic Jack Harris. "That seems to me to be unreasonable."

I think the Canadian Justice Minister can be convinced that missing on purpose is unreasonable. Basically, the opposition has said that threatening them is unreasonable...time for reason IMO. Canadians seem to be developing more of a "Get er done" attitude as of late. Protect the innocent...hit the target :D