Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Power breathing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:37 pm 

Quote:
Here is something I will re type from Takimiyagi's book where he talks about: I believe that this was also in the 'Blue Book" Master Uechis Kihon

>>>Breathing methods. from Uechiryu and Shoheiryu for the 21st Century

An understanding of breathing methods must be present for effective kata performance. Technical groups of movements are separated not only by pauses but by breaths within these pauses, which both articulate the kata rhythm and prepare the performer physically for the next set of movements.

The basic breathing method is that learned in SANCHIN kata; an " interrupted" breath, short sharp and explosive.

This is not an un aspirated exhalation but a clearly defined aspired 'hiss' originating from the strained abdomen and expelling air through the mouth.

The focus of the breath must be on the exhalation: replenishment of air must be allowed to take place naturally through the nose, immediately following the exhalation. This kind of breath is seen in all katas.

A second kind of breath is seen only in the upper ranks kata ( seichin, seisan, seiryu, kanchin, sanseiryu, and ryuko): this is a continuant breath, long and sustained.

The patterns of these two kinds of breaths occur in conjunction with variations in the pairs of opposite features, short and sharp breaths combining with long sustained breaths as the movements dictate.

Except in training kata sanchin, no breathing should be exercised in a regular structured pattern. It should always take place in compliance with a performers physical demands.

These bodily demands, the logical divisions of techniques, and the combinations pf the paired opposite features will determine the placement and type of breathing in a kata performance.
End. <<<

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:41 pm 

All indications by scientific research into this subject seem to point to a focus on the exhale leaving the timing of the inhale to come naturally to equalize internal pressures, in this manner avoiding hyperventilation from too erratic breathing.

When under attack by 'adrenaline' it is best to breathe flowing with motion with intermittent burst of energy when needed in 'forces unloading' _ the 'forces' we so well gather in the execution of our beloved style.

Think of the torso between the bottoms of the ribs to the tops of the pelvic bowl as a slinky, one of those big loose springs kids get for Christmas.

Take a long hot dog balloon and blow it up inside the slinky.
The slinky becomes rigid and strong instead of floppy and soft.

However, the internal pressure puts a lot of stress on the diaphragm, especially where the esophagus and aorta pass through from thorax to abdomen; as well as the throat, glottis and vocal cords.

Therefore, one forces air through these openings, restricting the flow enough to keep the torso pressurized and at the same time allowing emergency over-pressure relief….

it is at the moment of the greatest stress brought about by forceful contact coupled with the changes to our system by the adrenaline surge…that air must be released through the small openings of throat and lips….which will result in an immediate 'in breath' to replenish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:42 pm 

Exhaling in the matter described above also has an added benefit: Uechi promotes the fusion of whipping and settling of our bodies down to create structure behind a strike.

Exhaling when settling the body weight into a strike aids in better force of fusion upon impact to a target…because this type of breathing can greatly assist muscular tension, provide a solid stance and explosive action.

How one conditions to breathe in and out is very important.

Only exhaling through the mouth in the partial release of our pressure structure….can accommodate the explosive, outward force necessary for committed martial arts striking techniques.

By properly exhaling during a strike you're are constricting your lungs, thereby causing more power with a wider range of movement capability.

You are controlling the adrenaline built up in your body to be released with greater exertion while exhaling, versus keeping it pent up inside during inhalation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:43 pm 

From the Blue book
Quote:
>>>Breathing methods. from Uechiryu and Shoheiryu for the 21st Century

An understanding of breathing methods must be present for effective kata performance. Technical groups of movements are separated not only by pauses but by breaths within these pauses, which both articulate the kata rhythm and prepare the performer physically for the next set of movements.

The basic breathing method is that learned in SANCHIN kata; an " interrupted" breath, short sharp and explosive.

This is not an un aspirated exhalation but a clearly defined aspired 'hiss' originating from the strained abdomen and expelling air through the mouth.

The focus of the breath must be on the exhalation: replenishment of air must be allowed to take place naturally through the nose, immediately following the exhalation. This kind of breath is seen in all katas.

A second kind of breath is seen only in the upper ranks kata ( seichin, seisan, seiryu, kanchin, sanseiryu, and ryuko): this is a continuant breath, long and sustained.

The patterns of these two kinds of breaths occur in conjunction with variations in the pairs of opposite features, short and sharp breaths combining with long sustained breaths as the movements dictate.

Except in training kata sanchin, no breathing should be exercised in a regular structured pattern. It should always take place in compliance with a performers physical demands.

These bodily demands, the logical divisions of techniques, and the combinations pf the paired opposite features will determine the placement and type of breathing in a kata performance.
End. <<<

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:46 pm 

Quote:
I have seen the "Uechi method" of breathing, I have seen the exhale on the strike in fact I have seen and heard Walters teacher Takara sensei exhale on the strike.

Why would he exhale on the strike???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. . . my favorite topic :)

view my "old" man kata on Bill's forum to learn what I consider to be a "natural" and "uechi" breathing method that works for me. Since I practice and teach three different speeds of kata, each will have different breathing tempos and methods.

I've never seen Master Kanei Uechi perform what I call a full-speed kata which therefore accounts for no "release" of breath corresponding with the focused ending of the thrust. He always performed what I consider to be medium speed kata and his "uechi-breathing" method or "interval" breaths following a non-forceful extension of his arm, was all that was needed for a natural performance of his kata. I'm quite sure, in his younger days, when going all out with his thrusts, you would have heard a gutural (grunt) release of air accompanying his punch or kick.

Those of us who tried to understand uechi-breathing, based on the older kanei uechi performing kata, assumed that his middle speed movements and breathing were appropriate for full-speed punches and other actions. They are not, in my estimation.

I like, use and teach the interval breathing method used by Kanei Uechi, because just as we need a release of breath when punching/kicking full force, we also need to breath during the non-movements often found in stressful conditions. (I can give you examples of students who nearly passed out performing sanchin, not breathing except when thrusting! :) )

For the record, you can survive very nicely using only the interval breathing, but I have come to realize after years of doing both, that when performing full speed actions - allowing your body to react in a natural manner by releasing air during the ending of the action is both smart and healthy.

On another subject that Van may wish to raise: During a private lesson today, my student said someone quoted Sensei Tomoyose as saying the correct way to perform a kata is to be totally exhausted at the end of the kata!

How many of you believe this was an accurate quote and if it is, believe the statement is accurate????

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 am 

G
Quote:
(I can give you examples of students who nearly passed out performing sanchin, not breathing except when thrusting! )

Right on George...the continuous demands of the body as it calls for more breath/oxygen must indeed be satisfied by the necessary in between breathing as you point out.

What we did see on the floor ...the students about to have a heart seizure...were doing exactly what they should not have been doing...i.e., take some miserable shallow breaths after thrusting doing a ridiculous almost inaudible 'shhh'...to 'show the teacher they were breathing' or such similar BS. They were not breathing at all...just deluding themselves they were.

The teacher should have been prosecuted for teaching such crap.

Quote:
For the record, you can survive very nicely using only the interval breathing, but I have come to realize after years of doing both, that when performing full speed actions - allowing your body to react in a natural manner by releasing air during the ending of the action is both smart and healthy.

Amen.

Quote:
On another subject that Van may wish to raise: During a private lesson today, my student said someone quoted Sensei Tomoyose as saying the correct way to perform a kata is to be totally exhausted at the end of the kata!

Well, more BS...and I am sure more to come in the future.

I remember Tommy-san telling me and my students at my dojo once...that we only need to do three sanchin per day...but must be done as hard as possible. same with kata...never heard him say about being 'exhausted' _

But maybe he did say that? He was your sensei...did he ever tell you this? What did he tell you if anything bout this?

Then because of the somewhat language barrier...what was his definition of 'exhausted'?

We need to condition our students, not exhaust them... you tell an older student, or anyone with some pre-existing medical condition he may not even be aware of...to work to exhaustion...you may sign his death sentence... :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:12 am 

Again and again...what is written in the Blue book
Quote:

The words in bold tell the story. "As the movements dictate"

When the movements 'do not dictate' we should not over breathe for no reason that the body does not demand, or we may end up in an hyperventilation situation.

Hyperventilation
Quote:
Hyperventilation syndrome may result in swallowing excessive air. This results in the following abdominal symptoms:

•Bloating
•Burping
•Passing excess gas
•Pressure sensation in the abdomen

Also, anxiety with increased air movement through the mouth can cause a dry mouth feeling.

Chemical changes can happen with overbreathing. Hyperventilation causes the carbon dioxide level in the blood to decrease. This lower level of carbon dioxide reduces blood flow to the brain, which may result in the following nervous system and emotional symptoms:

•Weakness
•Fainting
•Dizziness
•Confusion
•Agitation
•A feeling of being outside yourself
•Seeing images that aren't there
•Feeling as if you can't breathe

Overbreathing can also cause the calcium levels to drop in your blood, which may result in the following nervous system symptoms:

•Numbness and tingling (usually in both arms or around the mouth)
•Spasms or cramps of the hands and feet
•Muscle twitching

Many different factors can cause chest symptoms with hyperventilation syndrome. Normally, breathing is relaxed.

If a person over breathes, the lungs become overinflated.

Without thinking about it, the person might use the chest muscles to expand the rib cage.

This extra muscle work will feel like shortness of breath, and the person will have difficulty taking a deep breath.

The chest muscles will become tired, just like the legs tire after a long run. The lowered carbon dioxide levels in the blood can cause squeezing of the airways, which then results in wheezing.