Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm 

Fabulous to look at:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=355276464507657

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:10 pm 

My favorite moment of this clip may seem a little mundane. Master Shinjo is impressive throughout, as always, but it's the front snap kick before the knee strike. There's something about a perfectly-executed Uechi toe-kick seen from the side like this. So few people I see exhibit that perfect, deeply-penetrating directional force. So often there is at least a little bit of residual "swing" from the lower leg rotating as the knee is extended, something I am also guilty of, I am sure. As I recall, master Kanei Uechi had a similar-looking front kick. Both remind me of what a horse accomplishes with their natural back kick--the weapon (whether it be foot or hoof) is hurled in a straight line at the target.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 pm 

Mike, there is a "trick" to the way they chamber their kicks..It isn't really a trick but just a very smart way to do it.. If you watch closely before his left foot leaves the ground you may be able to see it.

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

There is 'pelvic preloading' that acts as a catapult for the kick to slam forward with power and straight line direction. Excellent body mechanics...the kick is not just a 'flick' ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:02 pm 

Exactly Van! Good eye!! :wink: He is also "loading" his sokusen by dragging it on the ground as he pulls in to center.. So in one smooth movement he 1. Feels the ground so it's easier to form a strong Sokusen while leaving the thigh muscles loose for speed.. 2. He is creating an opticle illusion that keeps his head at one level while simutaiously slightly studder stepping right foot forward to make ground.. ( almost undetectable). 3 He is pre loading his hips for explosive power!!! Again, his Shomen Geri is the meaning of Mochime.. His Sokusen weapon is the Iron ball.. His Hips and the power of his support leg are the propulsion (the hand holding the grip end of the whip), and his leg is the wave that the loose wave the whip makes from the grip end to the cracking end.. A wave of energy that becomes smaller and more concentrated ( much like a beam of light in a lazer and through a magnifying glass) until the energy comes from one pinpoint of his sokusen into and through the target... Dangerous Man!!! :lol:

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 am 

Good show, Stevie. I had missed the slight right foot forward studder in this kick...but I had noticed it in a similar way before he also 'loads up' by short stepping forward with his left foot....before his elbow strike ...thereby gaining distance and penetration like a 'jousting technique' _ I have been trying to move the same way in seisan.

He surely is the Superman of Uechi :D