Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Force Decisions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:26 pm 

I worked for my current employer for over a year before management and fellow employees discovered my MA back ground. Without question it surprised them but in a positive manner because I "did not fit the image". However, I do suspect that if it was information I provided before they grew accustomed to me... I would have had a negative image to overcome. A good martial artist is (should be) a person with many other attributes one should put a face to first. Besides, let people earn the right to discover more about you :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm 

Quote:
I do suspect that if it was information I provided before they grew accustomed to me... I would have had a negative image to overcome. A good martial artist is (should be) a person with many other attributes one should put a face to first.

I agree Leo, and I speak from experience here in my investigations of Worker's compensation cases, involving employees claiming 'emotional injuries' from hostile work environment_ browbeating by supervisory personnel with a 'violent background' [karate/MA_ is singled out by attorneys as the practice of violence affecting long term behavior of practitioners]_ and intentional infliction of emotional distress that take into consideration the potential for violence by fellow employees alleged to exist simply by the fact they practice martial arts or have a license to carry/own firearms_

The potential corporate exposure 'out of the company's own funds' instead of insurance coverage [i.e., punitive damages awarded] for employer's gross misconduct, seen as intentional or preventable to protect fellow employees, is a risk that these days employers are reluctant to take.

The first thing I was required to do was to investigate the hiring process, background information gathered,and judgement in the hiring or retention of an employee in the work place if his conduct at some point had become an issue.

Another problem is that many employees, not all of course, with some martial arts background, are seen as 'throwing their weight around' and behaving as pompous jerks, on the job.

Also, if the employee with the MA background, has a job that brings him in contact with the general customer base/the public...as an agent of the employer...if any 'outside complaints' of wrongdoing arise...the employer is wide open to civil liability_

I could talk about the individual nuances of these complications forever...

One case I will never forget involved the alleged rape of a fellow employee, a 26 years old good looking blonde, by her supervisor [ a Judo practitioner] after a 'company Xmas party' ...

The woman alleged she asked the guy for a ride home, as she had no car, and that at her home, he forced himself on her, using restraining techniques from his training.

In my interviews, the guy stated that what happened was consensual sex,that she had been drinking, and was also hoping for a promotion by what she did. He added that he had considered her for promotion, but had given, later, the job to someone else better suited for the job, a few months after the sex event. Not a very smart guy... :(

Now comes the woman, claiming she could no longer work there, as she was mentally disabled and under the care of a psychiatrist by what her supervisor did...first he screwed her, then he gave the job to somene else, another woman employee...oh man...

Interviewing her was a'tightrope' experience.
This is all I will say. :x :evil:

The 'Judo employee' was fired...and corporate management was hit with punitive damages.

Imagine the future of this guy.

There is, of course, no guarantee that your ma background won't come to light by a routine background check by your employer...

So how to handle yourself if this comes to light is the other question.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

Another serious problem for any employee in the workplace, seems to be the perceived 'omnipotence' of the Human resources department, which will over-rule any decisions by management.

Human resources is seen as 'the enemy' by employees who have some kind of problem on the job.

HR...will also think ahead to the possibility of having to terminate any employee in the future.

Termination is a very stressful event for all parties. Many employees react angrily to what they perceive is an unfair action by management to end their
employment.

And this has caused many acts of violence in the workplace, thus giving rise to the possible 'bias' you encounter, Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:39 pm 

Very, very interesting....some of the responses I have received make much more sense now...

Funny, as an employer I am always interested to speak with other martial artists who apply...I have yet to hire one, but not because of their MA.

And I can see my own bias in being excited to speak with them.

But the liability exposure had never occurred to me -- of course, in any given disagreement a good lawyer will make wine out of water...even here, in Canada.