Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:17 am 

Thank you Van for a very exhilarating and informative 2 hour plus seminar you gave at BUKA last night. My students enjoyed it very much. The incorporation of the TC with the gross motor movements make the techniques you showed very effective for self defense. We will be practicing all the techniques in our classes. A special thanks for staying after and watching my Sanchin, Seisan, and Sanseiryu kata.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 pm 

Hi Len,

Returning to your dojo for a class was very dear to me.

First I was stunned by your expansion to two floors, two dojo, sparkling clean _ replete with training tools that complement a most successful Uechi school in a very nice area of Brockton. No wonder entire families flock to your place. A most professional set up indeed.

And then there was that large group of your students in attendance, very respectful, very skilled and powerful, hard working and attentive 100% throughout the entire interactive class.

The two brothers, in particular, will develop into Uechi treasures. Not only they seem to be natural athletes made of pure steel, but have that inner 'Uechi Glow' that will stay with them forever.

After watching your 'pre-test' performance on the floor, you have my vote for sure for your upcoming Dan test for Nanadan through Soke.

I will join Art Rabesa next week at Bethoney's dojo for the usually high charged Dan test ambiance. Another evening I look forward to.

Best of luck and thank you for a most pleasing evening.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:12 pm 

Congratulations Van Sensei on a job well done !!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:26 pm 

Thanks Robb.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:45 pm 

Lenny,

I believe I mentioned, during class, that every karate practitioner who may, at some point in life, have to defend himself _ should read these two indispensable books by Rory Miller_ 1. Meditations on violence and_ 2. Facing Violence_ available from Amazon for a few dollars.

Some comments on the books
Quote:
You would shoot an attacker raging at you with a huge butcher knife and you are cornered with no place to escape. But if that attacker were 15, or 12 or 8, or a woman, a pregnant woman, kids in the room, your kids in the room? Mr. Miller puts a real face on violent situations.

He plays out how to defend yourself in the courts after you have defended yourself against a live attack. It is an important point, maybe you survive an attack, but spend your fortune and spend years of your life in jail because a jury does not believe it was self defense.

Perhaps you have trained for decades in deadly martial arts. For decades you have pulled punches and kicks, choke holds and strikes because you do not want to injure your students or training partners. Your groin strike hits the thigh so you don't disable the groin. Now what happens in a violent situation? You have trained to miss, so your reaction is trained to miss.

This last important point is really worth exploring as to 'what ingrains' in our training…going deep into our subconscious.

Another good point covered by Rory is this, and something we discussed at class
Quote:
Violence dynamics. Self-defense must teach how attacks happen. Students must be able to recognize an attack before it happens and know what kind they are facing.

This I believe to be a crucial part of any training, and Rory explains the nuances of such a critical component as no other I have ever seen.

And yet another critical aspect of confrontations that Rory covers in his book 'Facing Violence' is the so called 'verbal self defense' _ defusing and avoidance that we have bantered about on these forums in the past. My suggestion to anyone who really has an interest in the concept of 'verbal self defense' is to buy the book and read chapter 3.

Chapter 3 of the book outlines what 'verbal self defense' really entails when attempting to use it under extreme stress, and in the real world of street violence that brings to light the 'interview' and 'monkey dance' processes that only very few people like Rory can lay out for a martial artist.

For example Rory points out that verbal de-escalation rarely works worth a damn in certain situations where almost anything you say will be interpreted as a further excuse to escalate the impending beating.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:15 pm 

'The Priests of Mars'

Rory Miller
Quote:
The Priests of Mars. The minute you don a black belt, the minute you step in front of a class to teach, you are seen as an expert on violence. It doesn’t matter if you have absorbed a complete philosophical system with your martial art.

It doesn’t matter if the art gave you, for the first time, the confidence to view the world as a pacifist. It doesn’t matter if you studied as a window to another age and culture. It doesn’t matter that you have found enlightenment in kata or learned to blend in harmony with the force of your attacker.

It doesn’t matter because you are about to teach a martial art, an art dedicated to Mars, the God of War. A MARtial art. Even if somewhere over the years you have lost sight of this, your students have not.

You wear a black belt. You are an expert on violence. You kick ass. You are a priest of Mars.

The simple truth is that many of these experts, these priests of Mars, have no experience with violence.

Very, very few have experienced enough to critically look at what they have been taught, and what they are teaching, and separate the myth from the reality.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

Rory Miller
Quote:
The Story. Maybe this is a metaphor, maybe it is a model: Things are what they are. Violence is what it is. You are you, no more and no less—but humans can’t leave simple things alone.

One of the ways we complicate things is by telling stories, especially stories about ourselves. This story we tell ourselves is our identity. The essence of every good story is conflict. So our identity, the central character of this story that we tell ourselves, is based largely on how we deal with conflict. If there has been little conflict in the life, the character, our identity, is mostly fictional.

I present this as a warning. You are what you are, not what you think you are. Violence is what it is, not necessarily what you have been told.
You can read more about this subject in Rory Miller's new book "Meditations on Violence".

Rory Miller has served for seventeen years in corrections as an officer and sergeant working maximum security, booking and mental health; leading a tactical team; and teaching subjects ranging from Defensive Tactics and Use of Force to First Aid and Crisis Communications with the Mentally Ill.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:40 am 

Lenny,

Again I will post some interesting comments on the types of violence from Rory, since I believe that your students, dedicated and attentive as they are, might enjoy reading.

This stuff is something none of us, average martial artists, have really any familiarity. Knowing the types of violence in ambush out there _gives us a better overall incentive to look at our training the common sense way and to sense when and where we are most at risk.

Here is something priceless from Rory
Quote:
What kind of target do I look like? Big guys who look tough are Monkey Danced on more than little guys. Win or lose with the big guy, you score points on 'heart'. Win with the little guy and you just beat a child-- no rep in that. Worse if the little guy beats you.

People who, are uncomfortable in their own skin, awkward, inattentive and hesitant, are primary targets for predators. Resource predators, the most common, are just in it for the money.

The 'outliers', and this is important. There are types of violence that do not follow common patterns. Sometimes that is deliberate. An insecure member of a violent group may do something completely outside the rules of normal social violence to get a reputation for being 'hard' too crazy to mess with.

It is often a display of extreme violence against someone who would not normally be seen as a legitimate target-- like stomping a baby.