Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sanseiryu Excellence
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:31 pm 

We can all learn from watching these two following masterful executions of our wonderful kata.

The first is a performance by NFL Hall of Fame Star...Andre Tippet_ just recently promoted to master rank in the Okikukai organization.

I have long admired Andre's crisp efficiency in Uechi Ryu, be tournament fighting, or Kata.

In particular, Andre's accuracy, timing, and how his body weight is transferred efficiently
so that he applies all techniques using his entire body.

I have always believed, from my previous coaching and competition in the soccer and rowing sports that _ it is the body movement that generates the power; the limbs are simply used to transfer that power into the opponent.

All parts of the body must be co-ordinated and come together at the correct moment if the blow is to be effective.

Andre, as a Hall of Fame NFL star, in my opinion_ brought that superior 'body structure' _ if you will_ into Uechi Ryu,one of the reasons why he has always captivated my attention. He is also a wonderful caring person.

Watching his performance below is a real pleasure and a teaching tool as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUV4b3_eCkI

Another great execution of the same form is by the indomitable Nakahodo sensei 10th Dan. I see similarities in the body mechanics of these two outstanding practitioners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPf_zmY4lk

Post subject: Re: Sanseiryu Excellence
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:42 am 

NFL Hall of Fame. That is something special right there. But Andre is an even better Martial Artist than he was a football player. That's just mind blowing.

What a true gentleman. What a great example of a Martial Artist. Anyone that hasn't met him, should.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm 

Otto wrote:
NFL Hall of Fame. That is something special right there. But Andre is an even better Martial Artist than he was a football player. That's just mind blowing.

What a true gentleman. What a great example of a Martial Artist. Anyone that hasn't met him, should.

Thank you for posting on the thread, Otto.
What you write about Andre is so true, everyone who has ever had the fortune of meeting and befriending him shares your feelings. He always treats all with dignity and respect.

Another great personality trait of Andre is...that he is a very humble man despite his great physical attributes and international fame. He is also a great teacher,not only of the Uechi System, but of so many associated aspects of physical and personal well being.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 pm 

Hello, Van!

Victor was kind enough to post some kata over on my forum. I see there's one in common.

When I saw Andre's kata, the first thing that came to mind was that it was "dated". As George would say, you can see a touch of "time capsule Uechi." Sure enough... his performance is 20 years ago. Like a song on the radio, I could have almost picked the year. Weird! :lol:

His athleticism shines through, doesn't it? God I would love to have him to work with for a few years. That could be fun.

As for Mr. Nakahodo, I sure miss him.

- Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the post, Bill.

Last I saw Andre perform Sanseiryu was a couple years ago at Master Gushi's seminar held at Joe Graziano's dojo. His form looked just as strong and even more timed _ accurate and flowing than the one 20 years ago.

He was the only one out of the group that did the same kata that got nods of approval from Sensei Gushi instead of the usual corrections here and there.

It is not often any of us are treated to the sight of such a performance.

I have also had the good fortune to see him compete in tournaments of the past and always admired how he would pre-empt any opponent's intentions and techniques he sensed coming with blinding speed and power.

His devotion to the style and humble demeanor set a golden standard for the Uechi masses. Never critical of anyone else's Uechi, only friendly and helpful.

As to Nakahodo sensei, yes, I miss him too_ a very special person in so many ways. And I saw him do his stellar Sanseiryu at the top of his form back in the seventies when he performed on the stage of the John Hancock building in Boston, when George used to run tournaments there.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:52 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
I ... always admired how [Andre] would pre-empt any opponent's intentions and techniques he sensed coming with blinding speed and power.

Some things can't be taught within the confines of a dojo. This Andre picked up from years of experience facing large men with intent and license to harm. Survival happens not by chance, but by awareness and execution. Teaching that? It's like me trying to teach timing to someone who never played an instrument. Frustrating...

Cross training is a very good thing.

Van Canna wrote:
As to Nakahodo sensei, yes, I miss him too_ a very special person in so many ways. And I saw him do his stellar Sanseiryu at the top of his form back in the seventies when he performed on the stage of the John Hancock building in Boston, when George used to run tournaments there.

The first time I spent a week with him (almost 3 decades ago), I remember coming back home and telling my then girlfriend that I just met Marcel Marceau in a gi. This impression I got when watching him correct kata. I don't think he spoke a lick of English. But he'd watch someone do a kata, stop them at a certain point, and imitate their mistake with comical precision. Only a master artist could do that.

..... Marcel Marceau - The Lion Tamer

- Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm 

:D :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:14 pm 

Da gusto aprender de estos grandes Maestros, al verlos, como dice Sensei George, ¨con ojos ladrones¨ uno puede tomar aprendizaje. Una maravilla Sensei Nakahodo, otro impecable producto del Dojo de Kadena de Seiyu Shinjo Sensei !!
It's nice to learn from these great masters, seeing them as Sensei says George ¨ eyed thieves¨ can take an apprenticeship. Wonderful Nakahodo Sensei, another flawless product Kadena Dojo Sensei Seiyu Shinjo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgoipt5Es0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL1E271966ACA58736

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:21 pm 

Here is a more recent video of Andre at his test for Renshi.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-GoKK1 ... ure=relmfu

His Kata has matured tremendously in a good way! Notice the solid calm stance he turns into before the Sanchin thrust near the end.. Everything relying on more Mochime and integrity of balance and body structure. I was talking to him a few years ago online.. I noticed a few trademark "Kadena" nuances in his Sansieryu and asked if he had trained there.. He explained that Minoro Miyagi Sensei (also of Kadena lineage) had really worked with him to help his Sanseiryu..You see in his latest video that he has kept some of the nuances, but has gone more to a more "technically correct" way on others.. Anyways, he looks damn good!

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!