Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:22 am 

Today...I attended a wonderful celebration party for Jack at the Okinawan Karate Club.

Jack was awarded Hanshi Judan rank, title and diploma by the Okikukai association's board , along with a beautiful gift.

It was wonderful to see and hear so many step up to the front table to talk about how their lives were successfully impacted by Jack.

The great Andre Tippet unraveled the diploma and presented it to Jack.

Congratulations, Jack...you are certainly loved by so many.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 pm 

Thanks for posting this, Van. Congratulations to Jack Summers sensei. I believe I have seen him at camp in past years, but I have not met him personally. Steve Banchick sensei, however, was the senior on my shodan test board. What a pleasure it must have been for him! (I mean the presentation to Jack, of course, not my shodan test. :) )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 pm 

Van sensei,

It was great to see you last night in attendance for Jack Sensei's special evening. I wish we had more time to talk and catch up, but thank heavens for email, right! I know you probably heard it 20 times yesterday, but I wanted thank you as well for making the trip and for helping us to honor and celebrate the life of a man who has made such a huge impact on the lives of so many wonderful people. It means more than words that you were there for the presentation.

Warmly,
Chip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm 

Thanks for the post, Mike. It was a very moving ceremony,Jack has been a good friend for many years, and Steve Banchik was most corteous and respectful to all comers.

Good times, good food, and outstanding camaraderie. Jack is loved by all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 am 

Great to see this happen for Jack!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:12 am 

Been without a computer for a while, just getting back online now. Summers Sensei has always been an inspiration to me, going back many decades. I've never had the privilege of training with him, but first knew him through the tournament circuit in the seventies. I turned to him for advice, several times, when I was a young Karateka.

My wife and I ran into him some years ago, in a big empty field in Canton MA. We were out doing some road work, pushups and situps in a place we figured we wouldn't run into any people. Out came Jack from a thicket. It still makes me smile to think about it.