Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DUEL
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm 

Jason,

Ever see this movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)

I have heard of some similar real life incidents these days of road rage.

What would we, as trained martial artists, do_ would have done in the shoes of Dennis Weaver, before the final ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gGrnpr ... re=related

Post subject: Re: DUEL
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 pm 

The full movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IohZZEd4 ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

No, I've never seen that before. I've seen enough road rage to last me a while, though. Probably a good thing I'd never seen it, because I probably would have had flashbacks when I was getting tailgated by a semi on a country road back in '99. LOL. Damned driver would not go around, and kept going faster, and faster. Fortunately, I knew the area, and I managed to dodge to the side on a hard shoulder and slam on the brakes, watching him fly past. He didn't stop or come back, thankfully.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm 

Sad indeed, Jason.

The movie also has psychological overtones to it and will keep you glued to the screen.

You will also notice the obvious mistakes by the car driver in the chase, failure to prepare and also think tactically before the very end.

There were some places on the road where the driver could have set up an ambush and fired at the truck/driver with a good weapon. There was no-one around to witness anything.

What would be a good weapon to have in the car? Your Marlin 45/70 might do the job, though an M1-A Socom .308 for distance and accuracy would be king.

This one is a beauty.

Are you allowed to carry a rifle in the trunk in Alaska?

That movie caused many psycho truck drivers to pull the same thing on deserted roads.

What could Dennis Weaver have done when he recognized the truck stopped at the diner, and circled it but could not see the driver? What else could he have done to handle the situation in general?

In the movie the truck was very fast with a modified engine. The car Dennis was driving could not get out of its own way.

Rule no 1 on the road is to drive a very powerful but easy to maneuver car…so you can get away and disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are you allowed to carry a rifle in the trunk in Alaska?

I don't think there's a single place in Alaska where you're not allowed to have a firearm (aside from municipal/state/federal facilities). There are places where alcohol is forbidden, however.

Quote:
Rule no 1 on the road is to drive a very powerful but easy to maneuver car…so you can get away and disappear.

One may find that most sports cars are all but undriveable for eight months out of the year in most parts of Alaska. :) 3/4 vehicles are trucks or SUVs.

Quote:
What could the Dennis Weaver have done when he recognized the truck stopped at the diner, and circled it but could not see the driver? What else could he have done to handle the situation in general?

This day and age, cell phone technology would possibly put this kind of behavior to a quick halt. Meanwhile, driving to a heavily urban environment would neutralize the much greater size of the semi.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm 

Then my choice would be the Socom rifle in the trunk with loaded magazines next to it.

As to a vehicle my choice would be something like this one:
Quote:
The X3 xDrive35i gets a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 that produces 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. It gets the same transmission and driveline as the 28i. In Edmunds performance testing, the 35i hit 60 mph in 5.6 seconds, which makes it by far the quickest vehicle in this segment. Its fuel economy stands at 19/26/21, which is actually better than less-powerful rivals.

Every 2013 BMW X3 comes standard with antilock disc brakes, automatic brake drying (useful in rainy weather), front-seat side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, active front-seat head restraints, stability control and hill descent control.

The X3 could easily get by with this excellent new engine alone, but it'll be hard to say no to the xDrive35i and its turbocharged six-cylinder. Not only does it provide quicker acceleration than any other small luxury crossover, it returns decent fuel economy to boot.

Regardless of engine, the 2013 BMW X3 handles with the adeptness you expect from this German brand. The chassis feels light and the speed-sensitive steering gives the X3 a nimble quality that makes you really feel reasonably connected to the car.

Every X3 now comes with four different driving modes, which alter the responses of the steering, throttle, transmission and, as part of the M Sport package, suspension firmness. While this in theory allows the X3 to be sportier for some and more comfortable for others, none of these manage to achieve that just-right feel of older BMW models.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 pm 

Jason,

Got a notification of a PM from you, but when clicking on it all I get is a blank screen.

Tried to PM you directly and does not work.

Something wrong somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:16 am 

Jason,

Was able to finally view your PM but unable to respond...some glitch to be sure.

Your rifle is a good one. I had an '06 Winchester model 70 pre-64...but as nice as it was I ended up with this Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby Magnum for just about any dangerous game on earth....

This being one of the early rifles made in West Germany...

.300 Wby. Mag.
By far the most popular and versatile Weatherby® cartridge available. The .300 Weatherby® Magnum had the flattest trajectory, longest range and the greatest killing power of any .300 magnum on the market ...

A real jewel...ever fired one of these?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Never shot a .300 before. .30-30, 30-06, but never a .300, .308 or .338...

That said, my favorite gun store has that M1-A Socom .308 you mentioned. :D Not cheap, but do-able down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm 

Jason Rees wrote:
Never shot a .300 before. .30-30, 30-06, but never a .300, .308 or .338...

That said, my favorite gun store has that M1-A Socom .308 you mentioned. :D Not cheap, but do-able down the road.

The .308 is much like the '06...possibly more accurate.

Had rifles up to the .375 and .458. Shoulder breakers.

The .300 Weatherby,in contrast, is very shootable ...even from the bench...because of the sloping comb and will kill even better than the .375 Image

Here's the Weatherby round.

But you pay about $5 a shot. Strictly a hunting rifle.

I'd grab that Socom now. Give him a down payment and pay a little every month.

It is a 'battle rifle' and that's what I would want in my trunk to set up a 'sniping position' on an advancing crazy trucker out to kill me like in the movie.

My Garand '06 ...my best friend in the infantry...will do a bang up job on any vehicle with the armor piercing rounds...the 'black tips'_

penetrates 1/2" steel plate at 100 yards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Every source I've seen puts .308 as more accurate at longer distances than the .30-06.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Very true. The .308 is a great all around caliber, flatter shooting than the '06_easy to reload_ less recoil_ the ability to obtain it in a short action bolt rifle, which will usually be somewhat shorter and lighter than the long action alternatives.

The Socom is perfect for the .308...

Another favorite of mine the M1-A National match...