Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Internet posts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

Quote:
If you're ever involved in a defensive situation _ armed on unharmed that is "questionable" don't think for a minute that your ENTIRE life won't be investigated.

This includes all your online posts, your macho 'flexing'_ how skilled you are in all kinds of martial arts or weapons_ the guns ...knives and other concealed 'toys' you carry... where and under whom you trained...how tough you perceive yourself to be...and what you would do/not do in a self defense situation.

I'm often amazed at what some people post on line and how that would paint them if I were on a jury. Not that we all need to be PC posters.

But a little common sense and using your brain before you post may help prevent something from coming back to bite you down the road. I remember a long time ago my father telling me that it didn't matter what I said, what mattered is how people perceived what I said. Not always something that's easy to remember, but nonetheless vital to understand.

And don't forget your "trainers" if you've had any formal, documented training. They may very well be scrutinized if your intent is in question. If they don't present themselves well - neither will you.
I'm not going to call any particular names, but getting your picture taken on graduation day with everyone doing the "one finger salute" is not going to impress a jury of your peers.

I can't count on one hand the people I will associate my name and reputation with when it comes to force training for this very reason.

The point is that while most of us here are type-A personalities and generally don't care what other people think of us, if you're EVER in a questionable force on force encounter... the chances are good that your very future will be decided by 12 people. If that ever happens, how THOSE people perceive you will be ALL that matters. So what picture will they have of YOU?

If you act, dress, talk and generally carry yourself as a professional, you will almost always be perceived and treated that way. If you act like the people in the picture described above (or at least how they are PERCEIVED to act), then expect to be treated as such.

Post subject: Re: Internet posts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm 

You got it. Everyone has a skeleton of some type no matter how big or small; it's your job to minimize the perception of skeletons. Personally, unless my lawyer thinks it will help me in some way; I won't volunteer any training I've had unless it were under oath.

Quote:
Every single aspect - EVERY SINGLE ASPECT - of your life will be scrutinized by the investigation and, depending on the aggressiveness of the Prosecutor, made to paint you in a certain light. Every credit card transaction you've made related to firearms.

Every internet post or e-mail you've made. The statements of friends, family and neighbors (and possibly enemies) regarding any training you've had. Who you associate with. How often? Anything in your past that can be used against you. Your ENTIRE life under a microscope. How will yours be perceived?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm 

Very true.
A couple of my old instructors have videos up on UTube, but that's a two edged sword......you can look deadly which is bad if you get into trouble with the authorities, but you can just look bad ,and that is bad for you as an instructor :lol:

Post subject: THE GREY MAN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm 

There is a great tactical concept that escapes many on these pages...it is the 'grey man' concept...

Let's see
Quote:
The Grey Man is always invisible in plain sight.

The Grey Man is totally aware of his environs, his own capabilities or lack thereof, his weaponry and his levels of competence with that weaponry. He constantly strives to improve upon both his capabilities and competence. In public, he is always respectful, even to the point of obsequiousness if the situation calls for it. He always appears to be just a little confused by what is happening around him, while in reality he is alertly doing a tactical assessment.

The Grey Man NEVER draws attention to himself by word, dress, action, or mannerism. The Young Grey Man is dismissed as a wimp, the Older as a doddering old fool. The Grey Man derives great inner satisfaction from having this portrayal of himself accepted by all he meets, for it means he is succeeding in his disguise of his actual persona.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:42 pm 

Quote:
The Grey Man is a private man. He practices with his weaponry in private, or only with his fellow Grey Men, always in a secluded location. If he must resort to use of a public facility, he schedules his practice for times when he is likely to be the only one there.

At such times he would probably wear bright clothing, to be remembered only as ‘that guy in the red jacket and sunglasses’, a quite different person from his usual persona. If right-handed, he would always occupy the leftmost station on a NRA bullseye pistol range, with his back to an observer, or the rightmost one for riflery or combat pistol practice.

The Grey Man does not drive a pink Cadillac with steer horns on the hood, NOR does he drive the biggest mutherin’ 4X4-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles BOV in the lot. The older his vehicle is, the rustier, the less likely it is to draw attention (or to be stolen, for that matter). This vehicle is, under its exterior, scrupulously maintained and in excellent running order.

If pulled over by authority on the basis of appearance, it can be shown to meet or exceed all requirements under licensing laws, and an obsequious co-operative manner precludes a search under the seats. The Grey Man does not speed on the highway: cruise control is his friend.

So is the Highway Patrol: he waves to any he sees. If he travels the same route constantly, at the same times, The Grey Man becomes a ‘fixture’ and can be dismissed from conscious observation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm 

Quote:
It helps the Survivor to build up this persona of The Grey Man gradually and over time. The anti-gun sheeple neighbors will quickly rat out the ‘Patriot’ who is always loudly declaiming about his ‘Rights’ and ‘what will happen if they try to take my guns’.

The Grey Man goes far out of his way never to offend anyone, imitating the duck which appears calm on the surface of his pond whilst paddling like hell under the surface.

Be seen as conservative in all you do. A Survivor is a Grey Man, and that little old grey man alone over there in the corner is probably a Survivor!

And that young guy next to him? Just another wimp? Or are they both watching each other’s backs?

Making the other guy waste precious time in assessing the situation is a big part of staying alive. Practice being grey now, while there's time to build your skills.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm 

Now let's think back of how we may have conducted ourselves in life up until now...as well as on these forums...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm 

* Guard your image - Dress and groom yourself in the same manner as is generally acceptable among people of similar age, income, and gender in your area. In other words, don't stand out.

* Guard your words - Don't talk openly about anything that everyone else doesn't also talk about, and if drawn into a conversation that could be considered "controversial", shrug and offer a vague, noncommittal opinion.

*Guard your actions - Use innocuous activities to cover your real actions.

*Guard your associations - Don't be seen with "suspicious" types of people.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm 

* Virtually any time we open our mouths the words we say are being recorded, and critiqued by ready, judgmental ears. You wanna lose a job. Speak your mind. You wanna ruin your marriage. Speak frankly. Don't hold back and you will know what I mean. just stop the illusions.

* There is really no one you can convert or change to your thinking except maybe a child.
People are really anxious to pick your brain. They are nosy. It is human nature.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

Wise words.......most folks don't even know what I look like, and I am polite (mostly) and inofensive.but then in the society that I inhabit I never have to be anything more than that and I do despise middle aged men who think they are young guns.my youngest son can quickly put me in my place for that one :oops: ....when I was young I knew middle aged men who thought they were warriors, and tough..it was sad......and I don't want to be like one of them.although I would like all the attributes of my youth I have to accept that that was in the past........I get my leg checked out on Tuesday nad hopefully if it is not what ~I suspect then I will train for a few years more or until it fails.......I have taken to new things though. Sailing is wonderfull, and the folks that I know from sailing ( even the women) are far tougher than the martial arts crowd, and I include myself there.they have been in little boats 30km from shore in a raging gale and sat it out, all good unassuming folk.and they take it as a given to risk their very lives for their passion.I am humbled look at these rowers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFpRn3rC ... re=related

in Ireland a lough is what the scotts call a Loch( pronounced the same).but what hail fellows 8)