Libre fighting and knife fighting generally

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Libre fighting and knife fighting generally

Postby jorvik » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Knives should scare everyone,. I used to work for the prosecutions department in my country and being a martial artist I used to study all the violent cases that came my way and I used to try and take note in case they happened to me. Generally I noticed a few things with cases where knives were used, and this may only be the case where I live, and indeed it is probably only true in my part of the country. the knives were always cheap poor quality things, never anything expensive or military, usually just a small paring knife, fixed blade, maybe 4 inches long.
now in my country they also tend to use boxcutters and craft knives, especially craft knives to fight so in my own mind I catagorise them differently, they are much more likely to be used as a weapon.....and much less likely to kill you although they can cause horrific, disfiguring injuries, which is why they are used.
With proper knives there seems to be a higher survival rate than you would expect. One of the last cases that I dealt with was a knife attack.the victim was attacked by a guy with a kitchen knife, which he dropped, but quickly pulled another out of his belt.....surprisingly, the victim only recieved a cut to his finger.
I've heard it said that when there are a number of stab wounds on a victim, profiling usually identifies the attacker as a drug user or somebody who is insane. Which may go some way in explaining why people find it hard to carry a knife for self defence. I only carry a small pocket knife either a spyderco UKPK with a carbon fibre handle ( a great little knife that I use a lot) or a spyderco Kiwi....there are others that I would carry, that would not necessarily get you into trouble like my benchmade mini griptillian.
jorvik

Postby Van Canna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby jorvik » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Absolutely Van....I love stag.I've got two kiwis,,,,,,,,,one which is engraved from these folks http://newgraham.com/store/
and a plain one. I will have to get the stag one shortly ,as it has been discontinued :cry: ...........I just wish I'd bought the original KIWI which was a lockback :cry:
Such a cool little knife, somebody described it as a pocket Scalpel, it's a great little user as well
jorvik

Postby Van Canna » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:07 am

Sent for the stag one. Legally, best not to have the lock-back from what I hear.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 am

Knives should scare , heck punches should scare too , If you loose that motivation your wasting the gift

if your training self defence you need to consider the blade .

if your considering the blade you better consider how to use one and how one can be used on you .

if your considering how to use one and how one can be used on you , then you should consider how to negate/avoid one .

if your considering how to negate/avoid one , you better consider how to counter attack/dominate one .

if your going straight to empty hand on knife as the simplest answer , your not being honest , knife on knife is that skillset bridge.

heck now your knife fighting , then you consider what happens when you loose yours/dont have one , how can you deploy , how can you retain , now how does empty hands match your weapons work . consider longer blades , consider sticks and bats , does it match .....

does it mean you should carry one and deploy one in self defence ? , is that not another decision with more personal legal and ethical questions ....

Do you have the realisation of tactics and mindset required in really dealing with self defence , or is it all still punch kick mutual engagement martial fantasy where fear never enters the picture ......

I think to many use the question of wether to carry and wether they could use to avoid the question of can I work with/against a bladed weapon, and hopefully that leads to can i really engage against real intent, can I muster an intent greater than theirs in time of need .

if you dont have the skillset its moot , if you dont have the mindset its moot.
Stryke

Postby jorvik » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Just got my order in from China. A bowie, a balisong trainer and two folders.cheap as chips and not bad value considering. they kindly labelled them "gardening Tools" to stop any misunderstanding with Customs :lol: although all these are legal here.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ife.net%2F

they all need sharpening though....so it's out with the "sharpmaker"
jorvik

Postby Van Canna » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Stryke good post and sobering as ever.

It is all about a continuum and people make their own decisions on the probabilities and their tool box.

A pocket knife such as the Kiwi, sharp as it is, can be a life saver in so many ways to cut seat belts, rope, children's clothing stuck in elevators etc.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Otto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 am

I like this one, and several other similar models. I have other knives, but always carry one like this.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swis ... classic-sd

I carry this kind of knife because I'm good with it, carry it comfortably, access it well (albeit not my fastest draw) and have trained with it/them a long time. With a knife, I know I'm going to win, and I know I'm going to court. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else because there are some great knives out there with far superior fire power, it's just what I like.

In court - if you'll forgive the pun - it gives me an edge as a wuss.
Otto

Postby Van Canna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 am

This one knife that will make you appear as a concerned citizen that wants to save lives.

Will break a glass car window and cut seat belts to rescue trapped passengers.

http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/tibrspasrekn1.html
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 am

Or you can buy one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ
Van
Van Canna

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities