Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: A line is a line
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 am 

I recall years back we had a Kyokushin fighter post on this forum, a real nice guy who did always sign off with 'Osu'...

From a KK forum we read
Quote:
There are many people who assume that all Kyokushin training is about punching to the body, yet their own time in a Kyokushin Dojo is minimal, and so we see the same question being asked again and again.

But you are wrong about the original kyokushin... the original kyokushin is not a sport, it is a martial art.

And the original Kyokushin as Sosai has designed it, includes punches to the face and kicks to the groin. Only for tournaments did the rules get modified. So you are wrong when you think that the current Kyokushin kumite rules are the original rules.

My own training time has seen me in Dojo in a number of countries, and without exception, punching to the face is taught and dealt with. Now, competition rules are one tiny part of Kyokushin that seem to draw the most interest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 am 

And this makes me smile, because it mirrors the way we train in our Bridgewater dojo
Quote:
If I took away the ability to punch me in the head what would you do...thought so.
Lastly you pick a fight with me and you're expecting me to swing a punch at you...or let you swing a punch at me... guess again

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 am 

"Ray,
If am not mistaken, your position is that free fighting/tournament fighting is useless for developing street fighting attributes...isn't that what you wrote on another thread?"

Nope. What I said was that unless your training, and that can be almost any type of sparring, imitates reality then it is useless. Take the example of Kyokoshinkai.they pressure test themselves by doing kumite matches with no head contact except by kicks...now when you pressure test something , IMHO you reinforce it in your subconscious, exclude the fact that a lot of the folks reading this are middle aged, and if like myself can't kick worth a carrot anymore, the other thing that you are reinforcing is that you can stand there and take a hit. as Tony Blauer says you want the best fake stuff, not the worst, and you want to imprint it into your psychology.....there are lots of examples of this in the martial arts, when I did WC they focused too much on sticking hands, they weren't used to people jabbing.in some cases the martial arts when they become martial sports lose a great deal of their efficiency..they may be enjoyable, keep you fit and have other benefits which can be of benefit in a martial sense, but this is more by accident than by design...look at La Canne.........fantastic sport and I love to watch it, but they wouldn't last against an escrimador
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lagjMXq ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:43 pm 

Quote:
What I said was that unless your training, and that can be almost any type of sparring, imitates reality then it is useless.

Nope.

And _We have been through this discussion over and over, time to put it to rest.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2