Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 am 

Lets look at
“points we should remember”
Number 1; many rapists are looking to engage with the victim to break the ice, congratulations you just did that for them. In other cases there is just a violent and brutal attack, there would be no time for the words to come out of your mouth if you are that close. In no case would this stop a serial rapist.
Number 2 ; we already covered that, un true statement.
Number 3 ; pepper spray. The statement is a false presumption and even the notion of carrying pepper spray as a defense is a debatable subject.
Number 4; ok…again can you really say this straight faced , pinch your attacker?
Number 5..yeah yeah hit him in the groin but …
“You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble, and he's out of there”

I have an issue with the rest of this statement. It just smells funny. Who wrote this ? who is this INSTUCTOR and since when does a self defense instructor have authorization to question criminals ? under what circumstances ?
Number 6 ; my own experience tells me this may sound good in theory but it doesn’t really work that way. This forum is filled with the fine motor skill debate.

Last but not least number 7 which I will admit is the only statement so far that makes any sense and that is just common knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 pm 

Well as everybody knows here I have an issue with "Experts", and as stated by Hoshin what makes him an expert?. First you need to access certain information that is just not accessable to the public, then you have to find examples which follow a pattern so that you can arrive at a rough idea or guideline, and then develop something from that.
I don't know if anybody follows the news but two Harvard Professors who wrote an economics paper have just been proved to have put out faulty information.
Now these are professors in a recognised subject, self defence is not a recognised subject you don't have professors, but you do have opinions, and really that is all you have 8O

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm 

i really dont have a problem with "experts" but like what was stated experts only have an oppinion and sometimes its wrong and sometimes it comes from an alterior motive. so experts are ok as long as you understand that its ok to disagree with them.
my issue here is the format of the written text in this on line posting that Mark thoughfully re posted here. No offense Mark, you alone with thousands of others took it for its face value. but that is the party that bothers me. it is obvious to me it was written by a non expert and so many people are apt to belive it,
one real tip off was the "kick out the tail light ,when in the trunk " comment. my family is in the car business and i have to say, cars are not made like that. there may be a rare exception but for chevy, ford , toyota ect they are a double wall pressed body form. the tail light housing sits in a indentation on the outside with a small hole for the bolt to fit though that holds the entire light housing to the car body.
so sorry to say no waving will be happening. :roll:
but as i was saying it was written from a non expert using dialog and context in a way to "prove" its valid. repeatedly sighting examples of " this instuctor" and his convertations with criminals.
it seems clear to me that the origianl author didnt have a clue and knew it ,so he felt the need to ad in such comments to validate his statements.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm 

It's always a good idea to check snopes when posting an interesting article that you see online, especially if it was forwarded to you by someone else.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/rape.asp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 pm 

Quote:
In other cases there is just a violent and brutal attack

I agree with Mark that even if the article is bogus, it does bring about a degree of awareness to a woman reading it, maybe getting her to be more cognizant of what defensive steps she or her daughters must look into.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 am 

thanks Justin.
i never heard of snopes before but wow spot on!!
:D

i am glad this topic came around again because it creates discusion and debate and thats good. through debate the truth is able to come out. nothing is ever truly learned from just taking someones word as the end all be all. for me the best way is to listen to everything given but in the end i make sure my conclusion is the product of my own thought process.