Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 am 

Why you should bring Rory Miller in to present at your school:

Regardless of what your martial art school’s focus is every responsible teacher will be similar in three ways:

1. You will tell your students to avoid violence.
2. You will focus on the dynamic physical aspect of your art.
3. Should your student ever be involved in a violent incident you will want them to survive physically, mentally, spiritually and legally (criminal and civil.)

If we are honest most of us do the second point the best and we do not have enough class time to cover points one and three as well as we all would like.

That is where Rory Miller can support your students and your school.

Rory has made an in-depth study of points one and three and he is a highly skilled presenter who can provide the information in a very understandable manner.

The information Rory presents on these points will not conflict with anything a responsible instructor would ever present.

No one person can do everything so I highly recommend schools support their students on these very vital self defence issues by bringing in Rory Miller. It will be a decision you never regret and often repeat.

And on a very legal “practical” note covering these issues may also cover you on possible liability issues.

Rory’s website: http://chirontraining.com/Site/Home.html

Just my opinion but there it is -- man that was a great two days of training.... :multi:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:17 am 

Thanks Rick. Rory is indeed the 'missing link' in our general training ways.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:22 pm 

Yes, Van Rory is the missing piece.

Running a school is a big job and trying to cover every aspect you should for your students is even bigger.

It is impossible for one person to do it when there is so much out there. Just look at all the talent George brings into his camps to get an idea of all that could be covered.

A school they will cover very well whatever their focus is. But for much of the time (I know it was for me) that tends to be the physical aspect of the art.

Let’s face it we like to focus on the stuff that gives us a kick and a good workout so the physical is what we do most.

We will cover some aspects of what to do to avoid a conflict and we will cover some of what to do after but I will be the first to admit I never covered in the dept I should have.

Rory has made a study of the “bad guy” and he has made a study of what generates conflicts and how to get out when getting out is possible.

Having his extensive experience in dealing with bad guys makes it a lot easir for him to separate the BS from the truth because he was right in the muck and mud and could tell the difference whereas most of us have to hope our common sense and intellect can tell them apart.

I am going to say that his Conflict Communication course goes well beyond conflicts with the potential for violence. I think in his efforts to dissect and analyse potential violent conflicts he has actually set out in very understandable terms how ALL conflicts are generated. So the benefit I got from that presentation was not just how to deal with with the conflicts that might go physical (which I may not even encounter) but every day conflicts.

I like that not only for the great personal benefit but because the more I can practice this in daily living the more chance I can do it when violence might be on the line.

My post was not intended as a criticism of anyone or any school I just know as a guy who ran a school for 18 years that these are topics we don’t get to often enough and we don’t cover in the detail we want to.

People we bring into a school to present revitalize the school and boost the energy levels and the commitments of students.

You can take two approaches and both work well:

1. You can bring in someone close to what you do and they enhance your current training.

2. You can bring in some one that gives them something you don’t.

It has been my experience that those who are secure in what they teach and want their students to have the best will do both of the above.

The two days with Rory has left me wanting more. I will go back and reread his books to reinforce what was covered. I am looking forward to his next book and there is still one on conversion with people with mental health issues I am about to pick up.

I was just so pumped by the seminar and I had wished I could have exposed my students to it I just had to share….

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:32 pm 

Most excellent Rick, and I agree on all points.

Maybe you could start a discussion here on what Rory covered in his seminar.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:44 am 

I ordered my copy and it already shipped today! :multi:

http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/martial_ ... olence_DVD