Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:14 pm 

Quote:
Do not be afraid of enemies; the worst they can do is to kill you. Do not be afraid of friends; the worst they can do is betray you. Be afraid of the indifferent; they do not kill or betray. But only because of their silent agreement, betrayal and murder exist on earth.

Bruno Yasienski
"The Plot of the Indifferent" (1937)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:16 pm 

Quote:
I suffer whenever I see that common sight of a parent or senior imposing his opinion and way of thinking and being on a young soul to which he is totally unfit. Cannot we let people be themselves and enjoy life in their own way? You are trying to make another you. One's enough.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Who so would be a man must be a nonconformist.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:17 pm 

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:13 am 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:41 am 
Hey Van great stuff , a few of my favourites

To thy Own self be true

Those that follow never lead

Wether you think you can , or you cant , your usually right

Post subject: Van's Erudition
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:43 pm 

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Again, my friend, you share your 'polymath' with us. Thank you.

As a child my dad told me in Albanian, which I shall translate, of course, unless you also know a Thraco-Illyrian dialect:

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only one".

Has stood me in good stead over the years in spite of an
overwhelming desire of my limbic system to override. [GRIN].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:59 pm 

Topos my friend. You are always at the top. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:13 am 

Who so would be a man must be a nonconformist.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:15 am 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:59 am 
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:39 am 
Quote:
It is not the critc who counts , not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles , or where the doer of deeds could of done better . The credit belongs to the man actually in the arena , whose faced is marred by dust , and sweat , and blood , who strives valiantly , who errs and comes up short again and again , becuase there is no effort without error or shortcoming , but who nows the great enthusiasims , the great devotions , who spends himself for a worthy cause ; who , at the best , knows , in the end , the triumph of high acheivement , and who , at the worst , if he fails , at least he fails while daring greatly , so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory or defeat .

Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:14 am 
ttt

Quote:
“you have to be free of the good opinion of others.”

Dwight Eisenhower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:00 pm 

I thought the Italian saying was something like "You have enemies - that means you have some unfinished business - you want I should take care of them for you?"

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:00 am 

Originally posted by Marcus:

"You have to be free of the good opinions of others."

We're not going to let you off so easy mate. :lol:

I think of all the times I posted some crazy sh#t and when everyone else turned up there nose, you came and backed me up. Over the years you have had nothing but positive things to say about anyone's heartfelt practice.

Marcus, I hope that you carry the knowledge with you that even though we probably will never meet, if it was in my power to help you in dire circumstances, you would see some real karate. :wink:

Here's another quote,

"If I told you how to reach the highest heights, you'd laugh and say nothing's that simple.

You've been told many times before, messiah's pointed to the door, but no one's had the guts to leave the temple.

I'm free."

The Who

Cheers, my brother. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:20 am 
Thank you my friend that means more to me than you could possibly imagine :D 8)

I agree with you strictly beause you have a valid perspective and talk from the heart . If many cant understand thats because there veiw is limited , and there perspective narrowed .

I can learn form anyone that does so , and for that you have my gratitude .

I have collected many crtics and many friends along the way , it is no coincidence IMHO that the critics have not prospered and the friends are winners in all aspects of life , it simply comes down to receiving what you give and reaping what you sow .

Like My Camerata Van says , it`s not what you said but how you made people feel that will be remembered .

Quote:
Marcus, I hope that you carry the knowledge with you that even though we probably will never meet, if it was in my power to help you in dire circumstances, you would see some real karate.

with a passion and spirit such as youexhibit I have no doubt , I wonder how many would recognise real karate even if they saw it , heck .. to some of the mucky mucks I`ll always be just the shotokan guy :lol:

Quote:
nothing but positive things to say about anyone's heartfelt practice.

heartfelt practice my friend , thats what seperates the wheat from the chaff , thats whats important , It`s a hall of friendship that saves the warrior

It`s as simple and complicated as one step in front of the other ... alls in Sanchin huh . 8) :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next