Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Szaboinc
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:09 pm 

Interesting, thank you Laird.
Quote:
So you can conveniently find a blade in a life threatening situation and deploy it, you just can't carry one planing to do so.

OK. So say you are carrying this knife I have Image

A Randall sasquatch Bowie...on your person...and an LEO stops you demanding to know what's the knife for...can you get away with your saying that is just a tool?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 pm 

Recently I started carry this as my EDC.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Industrial/Kn ... _31-000666

Van might recognize it as I believe he was with Marcus when he bought it for me in Boston!

I might up grade my urban carry to something by Havalon. I know hunters who have processed two entire moose with one blade. I like knives that stay sharp!

http://www.havalon.com/

Cheap to toss or lose. I like the baracuta with the skinning boning blade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Interesting, thank you Laird.
Quote:
So you can conveniently find a blade in a life threatening situation and deploy it, you just can't carry one planing to do so.

OK. So say you are carrying this knife I have Image

A Randall sasquatch Bowie...on your person...and an LEO stops you demanding to know what's the knife for...can you get away with your saying that is just a tool?
You have fine taste in all things Van! I suspect you'd have a hard time carrying such a fine piece of steel in an urban center in Canada if asked by an officer of the law to explain why you had it.

However, legally their is nothing wrong with doing so. Carrying a fixed bade in Canada is much like concealed carry in the US, don't brandish, don't imprint and avoid secure locations that won't allow you to carry.

We all live in different realities. If I work in the north the reality is my work a large blade may keep me alive and not carrying one may result in my death. An equipment operator up north leaves camp and may travel a long distance before arriving at his work site. Much of the day is spent alone and equipment failure leaves you alone and in harms way faced with sub zero temperatures. Then again leaving the equipment to water the flowers might find you alone in the dark facing predatory species of a pack of them. Bottom line a large blade may allow me to shave the end off a rad hose and reattach it. If I can't it will help me to prepare the kindling and firewood I'll need to survive until someone comes to find out why I didn't make it back to camp.

I presently live in the mountains, it's not unusual to find a predator on a trail or short cut and if they aren't keen on getting out of the way you'll find yourself taking a long detour. Some detours run into physical obstacles that result in further detours. It's not unusual for folks bushwhacking to get lost. My odds might be higher because I've been known to travel at night. The number one cause of death among folks lost in the mountains is not falling off them it is hypothermia. Large knives sure are handy when you kneed to make fire.

As an equipment operator even in an urban setting it's not unusual for the equipment to knock down or break a survey stake. It's not unusual for the operator to stop and insert the stake back in the ground. Pointy sticks are better, thus the blade.

Bottom line is in Canada I don't need a reason. I've gone to the bar with thirty knives when I worked as a chef. Not unusual for me to stop for a pint or two with a knife roll with me on the way home. Some of the blades a foot long and honed like a razor. I've seen lots in the industry riding public transit with small tool boxes. No one even realizes whats in the box so none is concerned.

If asked why I carry any knife my response will be ..."because I can sir".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 pm 

Good post Laird and I agree. I recall your situation when you were being stalked/chased by a bear in the woods. Be good to refresh our memory on that.

A State trooper friend, suggests that any knife carried on the person or in a 'tool bag' should suggest a tool of survival/rescue intent, and not of 'combative' intent.

So you tell the officer that the reason for your having that knife is for reasons of cutting your seat belts, breaking glass to escape your vehicle or render such assistance to some other needy situation.

Because of your kind of work and exposure to all kinds of dangers, I agree you should carry the best knife or combo of knives that also gives you a chance to kill a predatory animal or human 'animal'...

Some of the 'combos' I like are these...

Quote:
the Tracker, a knife designed by Tom Brown, Jr, a respected tracker and wilderness survival expert. The blade on the tracker is a shorter length (4 ¼”), but the overall length is the same as the KA-BAR. What really sets this knife apart is the design of the blade and edge, which is quite different from most. The mini saw blade on the back, the section on the edge for drawknife usage, and fact that the shape of the blade and handle lend itself easily to chopping, turn this from a survival knife into a survival tool.

SOG SEAL Team Knife:
Quote:
SOG is one of the top fixed blade knife manufacturers in the world, and their SEAL Team knife is built with extreme abuse in mind. The knife was designed for optimum sharpness, edge retention, tip and blade breaking limits, torsion, salt water immersion, and gas and acetylene torch resistance, plus durability for chopping, hammering, prying, penetration and cutting applications. The blade is 7″ long and .24″ thick, with a partial serration on the edge, and the overall length of the knife is 12.3″. Fans of shorter blades, and non-serrated edges, may find the Field Pup to be more to their liking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 am 

Here's another survival rescue knife you won't mind abusing or losing.

http://www.budk.com/product/Smith-&-Wes ... 158270.uts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:35 am 

But the one usually at my side when it has to be is this Randall 15 'Airmen' that can saw right trough a helicopter side.

Toughest knife ever made loved by the marines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 am 

And this Randall model 14 'attack' with 'teeth' is another in my collection as an indestructible survival blade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 am 

The Randalls above are made of 'tool steel' that's what makes them so tough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:51 pm 

I like Anza knives, they are readily affordable strong outdoorsman type knives made from files. I bought my son one and it is a beauty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybMDdLpMAvQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 pm 

I like them Ray, Thanks.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rom-a-file

This one I will buy today.

I also have two of the original vintage 'Puma White hunter' both with stag handles.

It is a fantastic all around knife, strong, sharp and multifunctional...

http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/PUMA0174 ... AOh0F.dpbs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm 

I ended up getting this specific custom made one, Ray...I like the sweep of the blade.

$179...free shipping.

Quote:
Presented is this 2013 Large Handmade Custom Stag Horn Anza "Tracker" File Knife made from a thick 14" Nicholson "Bastard" File, and features heavy 3/16" thick Full Tang Construction, giving it plenty of backbone for heavy cutting chores.

The overall length is 9 1/4" and the blade is 4 1/2" long.

"Bastard" File Teeth are left on non critical areas of blade giving it undeniable character. Fine File Work embellishes the blade spine.

The High Carbon File Tool Steel blade holds a serious edge and is easy to sharpen.

The handle is made from Stag Horn (American Elk) and Oak Dymondwood with Red & Silver inlays. The knife's butt has an Extend Tang Pommel with Lanyard Hole.

This Custom Stag Horn Anza "Tracker" Knife is ready for duty and makes an awesome Bush Knife.

The Stag Horn "Tracker" comes with a Black Genuine Leather Sheath and both are 100% USA Made.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

That's a lovely knife Van I admire your taste. The blade contour is exceptionally nice........and Puma make great knives and especially the older ones 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

Thanks, Ray, for suggesting the Anza blades.

Ordered yesterday and it will be at my door tomorrow.

Yes, the Puma white hunter, is a favorite of mine when wishing to travel light, or if saddled by other equipment, which would also include a folder backup, and belt axe.

My favorite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfS6ADN1DzM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 pm 

Ray,

The Anza came in today. It looks like a piece of jewelry...it gleams...solid as a rock, the right weight, and sharp enough to shave with it.

The photo above doesn't do it justice.

I made out a paracord lanyard for it and with the 'high wall' sheath that came with it...a tool you would never loose in the wild.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:34 am 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6BMRO8

These safety release rings are a must for use on paracord lanyards,
with the paracord ends sewn at the attachment points.