Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

This will be hard to write, but not as hard as the years it took to make it necessary to write.... Maybe some will learn something useful without judging my story.

First off, you are a wolf. People are all the same, and those who are labeled as sheep are just wolves who never had the chance to find out who they really are.

I lived many years as a drug-addicted musician in Los Angeles, and spent part of my life moving through a nightmare consisting of other drug addicts, violent criminals, mentally ill homeless people, gangsters and street level dealers of many ethnic identities. Many different ghettos. I survived this without becoming a corpse or an inmate.

When dealing with wolves, BE RESPECTFUL. They, more than anyone, operate on this level. Treat a wolf the same way you would like to be treated.

BE REAL. Wolves, more than anyone, can tell when you are being fake. Act the same way you would like other people to act with you.

DO NOT JUDGE. Wolves have a visceral reaction to this. Treat them the same way you would like to be treated.

BE HUMBLE. Wolves do not tolerate people projecting false pride. Act in a manner that you would find admirable.

DO NOT SHOW WEAKNESS. Wolves react to the scent of blood. If you are not bleeding, there is absolutely no reason that you need to smell like blood.

MAINTAIN YOUR EQUILIBRIUM, AND DO NOT REACT TO WORDS AND EMOTIONS. Wolves respect someone who can be centered in who they are.

PAY ATTENTION. Wolves appreciate it when people take them seriously and interact with them on a human level. Show that you are aware, and make the effort to express yourself honestly, without setting yourself apart from the pack.

DO NOT POSTURE OR MAKE THREATS. If you do this, you would have been much better served by taking some kind of action.

DO NOT TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO, OR HOW THEY SHOULD BEHAVE. Just don't.

KEEP YOURSELF TO YOURSELF. If you feel that you need to do something about what you see or hear, do not let anyone know what you are up to. :lol:

And most important: Realize that there is nothing separating you from these people, other than experiences and intent. You are just as capable as any criminal. In this world, anyone can become a victim, but with understanding comes power.

P.s. I have met doctors and lawyers who are just as bad as any "gangster". Never judge a book by it's cover.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 am 

I'm done. Blessings all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:18 am 

Great post , thank you for sharing with us , lots to consider an very sound advice all round IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 am 

Okay, not done yet. :lol:

Marcus, you have always impressed me as being a quality person. You are one of the "good guys". 8)

I hope you have a great life and know that there are people who appreciate people like you in this world. Stay strong and keep the faith.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:08 am 

You too brother , I think you said it best

Quote:
BE REAL. Wolves, more than anyone, can tell when you are being fake. Act the same way you would like other people to act with you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:21 am 

Most excellent five dragon...and thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 am 

One of the best, most sensible posts I have read in a long time. A keeper. Something that can only come from the grit of experience. Will be shared with my students...!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:57 am 

Indeed. What Five Dragon wrote is worth more than a million dojo assumptions...simply because none of us really knows violence the way it materializes in the world.

We are so lucky to have 5 dragon as a contributor on this forum.

I guess Rory is right after all in the books he wrote.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that information with us 5D. One of the "must read & remember" articles I will keep and pass on to my students and friends.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm 

Right on George.

Hope this will become part of your embedded articles of your site that will be read by the multitude of visitors.

Hopefully 5D will give us more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

This topic is now permanently residing in our "Archives" under the heading "realist related" !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:45 pm 

Great...and thank you again Five Dragon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:23 pm 

You guys are all way too kind. I'm glad this stuff makes some kind of sense, as all it really is another look at the message found in all the various dojo kun. After I wrote this, the thought came to me of those scrolls with the calligraphy that hang on the walls, while people practice fighting.

I'm just someone who spent time in a world full of sick and selfish people like me. Thank you for the kind words.

Maybe I would find it easier to follow my own advice, if I taped this kind of thing to my forehead every morning, so it would hang in front of my eyes. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

8)

Direct tangible sharing of lessons of experience.

as good as anything on any dojo wall I've read.

your life experience/filter let you cut clearly to the heart of the matter of attitude , both ours and others.

I agree with Seizan

Quote:
One of the best, most sensible posts I have read in a long time. A keeper. Something that can only come from the grit of experience. Will be shared with my students...!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:22 pm 

Just to be clear, you could be a saint, and if someone invades your home or tries to take you to a second crime scene, or whatever your senses tell you is not going to leave you or anyone you care about with options for survival, you really have no choice but to escape/evade/become a wolf, leopard or whatever does the job. This isn't fantasy-land, but really, probably a good thing to have in life is a passion for something, such as artistic/physical expression and a circle of friends and family who you can relate to and share your life with. No one has the answers, but we've all got questions.