Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chase by Bikers In NY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm 

Wow, frightening! Think an AK47 is needed in every car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNOyDMzn2bY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:17 pm 

I heard a biker got killed here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-4LHJ_IDs

I dunno who was to blame, but if it was me I'd prefer to have 3 tons of steel than a little motorbike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 pm 

http://nypost.com/2013/09/30/bikers-att ... ms-riders/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 pm 

Indeed. Once again here is proof of violence being so unpredictable when it comes in ways we cannot foresee. Ray wrote
Quote:
Really it is so hard to gauge what will happen, violence is never cold, there is always an aspect to it that confuses you, puts you in a negative state.

We train and think we are pretty tough, then you end up pulled out the car and beat upon by multiple opponents.

What happens to your Uechi then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 pm 

Had the panicked driver had a gun in the car and used it to shoot one of the bikers as he was surrounded, what would have happened next?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:54 am 

We also read that the bikers slashed the SUV's tires at the first stop...causing the driver to have to get off the freeway.

This means that most of them, probably, were carrying knives.

Pretty good chance we all will run into someone with a blade in a street fight.

Now, how to handle that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

Survival magazine
Quote:
Jay Lewis was a former police officer... avid hunter... gun collector... and a concealed carry permit owner.

One night around midnight, Lewis was headed home when he passed a slow car carrying 5 people coming back from a Halloween party.

But after Lewis passed, the car sped up to race him down the street.

Lewis went to turn to the left and the other car collided with his.

2 of the passengers then got out and started punching on Lewis's windows, until he pulled out his .380 pistol he had with him.

They backed off toward their car and Lewis got out to call 911 and examine the damage to his car.

That was when the 2 men came back!

Trying to sneak attack Lewis in two different directions, you could hear Lewis's warnings on the 911 call...

"Get back! Get Back! I'm going to start shooting!
Get away from me! Get away from me!" * BANG *

Click To Hear 911 Call

<= You can hear the actual 911 call by clicking here

The two men had faked like they were turning away but then charged Lewis, forcing him to shoot and injure one of the men.

When the police showed up, the man was taken to the hospital...

... and Lewis was arrested because police suspected that he failed to back off and avoid the shooting.

He was charged with two counts of "intimidation with a dangerous weapon" and going "armed with intent".

Here's the good news...

Lewis was acquitted by a jury of his peers on all charges.

Here's the bad news...

Lewis only made $32,359 a year and didn't have the $225,000 cash for bail money that was set for him!

Therefore, he was forced to stay in jail until his court date... 112 days later!

But it gets worse...

While Lewis was in jail, he was evicted from his apartment because management saw him as "dangerous" because of his self-defense shooting.

They even threw all of his belongings out on the curb - which were all stolen by passers-by.

Lewis emerged from jail 112 days later to be homeless and broke... all for just defending himself from two road rage thugs!

Here's what I want you to learn from this...

Just "showing" your weapon is considered illegal and you can be arrested for it (as Lewis was)

Even if you act in self defense... you can STILL be arrested!

Even if you're found "not guilty"... it's STILL going to cost you a butt-load of money to pay for bail and legal expenses to defend yourself.

In the meantime, you can lose your job... your house...
your belongings... and if found "guilty", your freedom and family!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 pm 

More on the biker chase:

Published October 01, 2013/ FoxNews.com

A New York City man who was out driving Sunday celebrating his first wedding anniversary with his wife and 2-year-old daughter was brutally beaten by members of a motorcycle gang in front of his horrified family after a high-speed chase.

Police said Tuesday morning it remains unclear what caused the confrontation that led to the assault ----------- NYPD confirmed that there has been one arrest------- .

Lien’s first encounter with the bikers shows a group of them taking off their helmets and denting the side of Lien’s SUV, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told The Post. A few other riders slashed the tires. Lien apparently panicked and stepped on the gas. He was surrounded at the time and slammed into a few of the riders, the report said. --------

“He feared for his life and the lives of his wife and daughter,” a police source told The Post.

The bikers, about 30 or so, chased Lien more than 50 blocks on the West Side Highway, which was recorded on a 6-plus-minute video later posted on YouTube. Lien, however, was driving with damaged tires and was forced to turn off at W. 178th St. in Washington Heights, where the assault occurred, the report said.

"One biker was seen on the video ripping off his helmet and using it to bash in Lien’s driver’s-side window. The crew then pulled Lien from the SUV and beat him on the pavement in front of his wife, Rosalyn Ng, and their 2-year-old daughter, police sources told The New York Post.

“They went up on the sidewalk. It was just so many of them that they took up the whole street,” one witness told The Daily News.

Lien, who is reportedly the director of the e-commerce firm Skrill.com, was rushed to Columbia University Medical Center, where he received stitches to his face and chest and had two black eyes, the report said. Jeremiah Mieses, one of the motorcycle riders struck by Lien, may be left a paraplegic, the report said.

“My son just got out of surgery. Now we have to contend with his situation that he will never walk again,” the injured man’s father, Rev. Edwin Mieses posted on Facebook, The Daily News reported"

From a self defense stand point, I think Lien did the right thing by trying to drive away. The sad thing is, there were serious injuries - all unnecessary if the world was a little more civilized. As Van mentioned in the earlier post, now Lien will mostly likely be sued for running over those tough dudes who blocked his vehicle. The medical cost for him and his family, plus the lawyers, the time loss from work due to the likely law suit, the mental aftermath for him and his family, potential loss of his job due to not being able to work, --- on and on---- .

It is unsafe just going out any more. Animals seem to be running wild and (they are) well protected.

I don't know what this guy might have done to get the thing started. He was celebrating his anniversary with his young family so I really can't think of much instigating he might have done. I read that he is a director of an e-commerce, guys like that don't usually start troubles.

Another thing though, which may or may not be relevant to the incident and may be difficult and uncomfortable as it might be for some of you to understand or acknowledge, the people got attacked is an Asian family. Was that the main reason for the attack? I don't know, I sure hope not. But what I can tell you from personally experience is (those who know me know that I am quite polite and non confrontational- until I got ignited), I got dirty looks, challenged, and attacked many many times myself for nothing other than being Asian . -- That was the original reason I got into karate and self defense but that's another story.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:27 am 

Henry
Quote:
As Van mentioned in the earlier post, now Lien will mostly likely be sued for running over those tough dudes who blocked his vehicle. The medical cost for him and his family, plus the lawyers, the time loss from work due to the likely law suit, the mental aftermath for him and his family, potential loss of his job due to not being able to work, --- on and on---- .

It is unsafe just going out any more. Animals seem to be running wild and (they are) well protected.

Yup, a nightmare that can be just around the corner for any of us, no matter how careful and aware we might be of any situational moment of our lives.

In addition to the above, as Henry previously posted, Mr Lien and his family will have to worry about possible revenge/retribution/ambushes.

Also, from his automobile insurance standpoint, we don't know what position the insurance company may take relative defense and indemnity, since a possible argument might be that though Lien had every right to run those bastards over, what he did was an intentional act and not a fortuitous/unintentional act.

From my experience in the business, I very much doubt the auto insurance carrier will deny coverage, but stranger things have happened.

Most of those scum bags will have nothing to lose as opposed to Mr Lien.

Surely any of those punks that might be arrested, will have lawyers to muddy the field of what really happened in that chase.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 am 

It emphasises the danger of mob mentality , anywhere anytime groups congregate risk is increased , sad but true state of affairs.

People in groups will do and escalate things that the vast majority will never do on there own.

us vs them is pretty much the oldest game known to man.... be carefull where you place your identity/ego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:41 am 

Excellent comments by Stryke about the mob mentality.

One/two or three of those cowards would not have gone that far if by themselves.

And your ego will kill you every-time...
if you are one of those 'me/me/me' guys...well your time is numbered unless you understand the tactical concepts of violent behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 am 

Henry
Quote:
Another thing though, which may or may not be relevant to the incident and may be difficult and uncomfortable as it might be for some of you to understand or acknowledge, the people got attacked is an Asian family. Was that the main reason for the attack? I don't know, I sure hope not. But what I can tell you from personally experience is (those who know me know that I am quite polite and non confrontational- until I got ignited), I got dirty looks, challenged, and attacked many many times myself for nothing other than being Asian . -- That was the original reason I got into karate and self defense but that's another story.

I recall our David Moy talking about the same thing on my forum years back, and one of the reason he trained under 'knife' gurus.

It is a definite possibility that the attack may have been motivated by 'race' ...we might see more details in days to come.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 am 

Quote:
Jeremiah Mieses, one of the motorcycle riders struck by Lien, may be left a paraplegic, the report said.

“My son just got out of surgery. Now we have to contend with his situation that he will never walk again,” the injured man’s father, Rev. Edwin Mieses posted on Facebook, The Daily News reported"

Imagine the repercussions of this for the lien family in time to come.

The interesting part will be whether or not this 'Mieses' guy will or will not be charged with any criminal wrong-doing in being part of the group who intimidated, assaulted, and hurt Mr. Lien, who is lucky not to have been injured more severely or killed.

And how about the rest of those 'tough guys'? Will any of them face any criminal prosecution?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 am 

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two motorcyclists were in police custody on Tuesday in connection with a high-speed chase along a Manhattan highway that ended when a motorcycle gang dragged a New York man from his vehicle and beat him while his wife and baby looked on, police said.

Christopher Cruz, 28, of Passaic, New Jersey, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, menacing and endangering the welfare of a child, said Sergeant Lee Jones of the New York City Police Department.

A second motorcycle rider surrendered himself to a Queens police precinct later on Tuesday, telling authorities he was the rider who could be seen on the video slamming his hands into the SUV as a fellow rider smashed the driver's side window open with his helmet, said NYPD Detective Kelly Ort.

The second rider, described as a 42-year-old from Jamaica, Queens, has not been charged in the attack, Ort said, adding his identity was not immediately available.

"The investigation is continuing with regards to other participants in this assault," Jones said.

Cruz was arrested early Tuesday after he was asked to come to the NYPD's 33rd Precinct, Jones said.

The chase and subsequent attack on Sunday were captured by a video camera attached to the helmet of one of the motorcyclists and posted online on Monday.

The video appears to show an accident involving the victim's sport utility vehicle and one of dozens of motorcycles being driven north on the Henry Hudson Parkway in upper Manhattan.

It showed the group of bikers suddenly slowing and stopping en masse, bringing northbound traffic to a halt.

The SUV, a dark-colored Range Rover, suddenly accelerated, rolling over several motorcycles and knocking at least one rider to the ground.

The video then showed dozens of motorcyclists giving chase and catching the driver in traffic in upper Manhattan's Washington Heights.

The driver was dragged from the SUV and beaten, according Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

"He's taken out of the car," Kelly told reporters. "He's assaulted."

The victim, identified only as a resident of New York City, was treated for facial lacerations and chest wounds at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, according to a police source.

A police source said authorities believed the motorcyclists who chased the SUV were part of a large group that had planned an unauthorized gathering in New York on Sunday. This was similar to an event last year, when the riders organized online and gathered in large groups in Times Square without permission, the source said.

This year, the police source said, authorities set up a series of checkpoints at bridges and tunnels to prevent the motorcycle group from gathering in large numbers in the city.

(Additional reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Bob Burgdorfer)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:29 am 

Quote:
The video appears to show an accident involving the victim's sport utility vehicle and one of dozens of motorcycles being driven north on the Henry Hudson Parkway in upper Manhattan.

It showed the group of bikers suddenly slowing and stopping en masse, bringing northbound traffic to a halt.

The SUV, a dark-colored Range Rover, suddenly accelerated, rolling over several motorcycles and knocking at least one rider to the ground.

So what caused the bikers to suddenly stopping en masse?

So what caused lien to suddenly accelerate and roll over the bikes and that one rider?