Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NY Subway shovers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 am 

After visiting NY a number of times_ including the times I worked there and fought the all American tournament by Henry Cho_ I was always left with the impression that city is the quintessential arm pit of the world. And some people say the city 'has changed' _sure...for the worse. And the people of NY ...well...

http://nypost.com/2013/12/02/crackdown- ... nt-things/

Quote:
Police arrested 71 panhandlers between Nov. 11 and 24, including a man who collected a paltry 43 cents from straphangers. Cops also gave out 37 panhandling summonses.

Not everyone in the NYPD is happy about the crackdown. Some say that they want cops to focus on robbers and subway shovers over the holiday season.

“There are more important things we have to worry about, like people becoming the victim of a crime,” said a source.

“People are getting thrown onto subway tracks, having their iPhones and iPads snatched. The last thing we’re worried about is a man begging for a nickel on the holidays. It’s common sense.”

Another source said, “A panhandler pales in comparison to someone getting violently robbed.

The number of people “living” in the subway system has increased 13 percent over last year, according to the city’s Department of Homeless Services.

The Post reported in late October that panhandling and peddler arrests were only up slightly from the year before, from 395 collars to 409.

And they were down significantly from 2011 — when cops cracked down on quality-of-life violations underground in Operation Moving Target, and arrested 930 people within six months.

Police said at the time that the number was higher in 2011 because it also included arrests for people selling Metro-Card swipes.

Those arrests have since been removed from the panhandler category.

Post subject: Re: NY Subway shovers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 pm 

---what is this country turning into? Seems to get worse by the day.

--- and the politicians in San Francisco are talking about more legislations on protecting butterflies. Come-on!

Btw, Van, was that the tournament in the Madison Square Garden where Norris and our Japanese friend (who later left with Deluty) fought in the final? I fought there too but got eliminated in the morning. I had a good excuse though. It was more fun just having fun with a bunch of Mattson boys (and my buddy Nev, whatever happened to him?) chasing after NY girls downtown throughout the night (If we did that nowadays we probably all got shot.). I think that was more enjoyable and memorable than winning a trophy :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:54 pm 

Hi Henry,

Yes, that was one of the Cho's tournaments I attended, and yes, it was the one where Taro Tanaka [crazy fighter from Japan] and Moto Yamakura [his buddy] who eventually went with Deluty...ended up fighting Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris in the semifinals.

Here's a picture of me after a very long match with a TKD fighter of Cho's Dojang...to my left with his arms crossed.

Those were great days, my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:02 pm 

Nev Kimbrell...good golden Glove boxer, turned Uechi-ka...good fighter all around. His wife was a playboy bunny, remember her?

She got 'offended' one night walking by a local Boston bar...went home crying and told Nev.

Nev walked into that bar and beat up a number of people, dragging one in particular out to the sidewalk and slamming his head against the curb until the guy passed out.

Deluty died when he collapsed one day arguing with a roofer working on his house in Belmont.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 pm 

Love that picture of you holding your head. I can hear exactly what you were say : WTF! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 pm 

And Nev was the one who put us on notice on the floor that a number of fighters we had won against on the floor, had threatened to meet us in the locker room downstairs to show us what 'real fighting' was all about.

You may also recall the near riot on the floor, and the cops running out of the building...maybe afraid their guns would be taken away.

And Ed Daniels, the King kong of Karate, Texas policeman, stopped the riot almost all by himself.

Like I said...NY...armpit of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:11 pm 

hthom wrote:
Love that picture of you holding your head. I can hear exactly what you were say : WTF! :)

Yeah...we fought for twenty minutes straight...two different refs had to be called into the match...I kept catching the TKD kicks and scoring with head punches, but refs said punches were 'illegal'...

Scratching my head all right...but also combing back my long thick hair...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:15 pm 

I guess 'real fighting' now is throwing old ladies onto the subway tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

Sad thing is, most of those "old ladies" were young chicks our age not too long ago and were probably hot as hell back then. We get younger as we "age" of course, they somehow go the other way.

Confusus says: I've never met a young chick I didn't like. :lol:

What those former young chicks should wear now that hot pants just don't look right on them:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... _01_md.jpg