Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Seisan bunkai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:13 am 

Laird: "Bash the brain stem, Knee the face, twist the neck, close the wind pipe, stop the blood from reaching the brain! Thanks for lowering you head! (why kick or knee low)"

That sounds like karate. First rule of karate: We don't talk about karate. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 am 

:D

I apologise for my sudden absence. Laptop power issues. New adapter arrived yesterday. But now I'm having keyboard issues! Typing between keyboard and on-screen keyboard for missing letters. No backspace or delete.

Glad to know that the idea is seen as having some merit.

Will post again when issue resolved.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 am 

i have not given any thought to the "standard" bunkai in at least 15 years so my memory of it was a little fuzzy. i think it is a good starting point but if you only define your martial art by testing standards there can be no creativity. i prefer indepth thought and a little trial and error. find what works for you. if i remember the 3rd movement, i had been taught a double (hand over hand) nukite to the windpipe then grab the arms and pull into a knee. my bunkai preference is to use the hand over hand action with elbows slightly spread and used to plow through the arms like the front of a ship through water then the left arm grabs the shoulder or upper arm while the right hand hooks behind the neck pulling down to the knee,(my right arm will be on the right side of his neck, great option for a radial arm strike to the neck) i never liked to pull someones face down into my own, white belts do that all the time with the bunkai standard. i find with the behind the head hook i have my forearm between me and the attacker, this allows for more controll and better positioning for follow up strikeing. this is just one example of creative thinking after all this is an ART.