Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Parallax news
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 pm 

https://the-parallax.com/2015/11/19/no- ... -not-safe/

Quote:
No, the Internet of Things is still not safe

We had a nice visit Tuesday night class at the Shinkokai _by two of my favorite Uechi-ka who cross trained with me at Brandeis University years back.

Seth Rosenblatt and Chris Kime. I am so happy for them as they are really two extremely intelligent, well behaved and well practiced in Uechi, with Seth also having worked out for two years in Japan at the dojo of sensei Uehara, and presently a student of Sensei Mehran Shahkar: El Sobrante, CA...whom I met last year at summer camp...quite the gentleman.

Some of you may recall my thread about the 'Kingai Sanchin' as taught by Uehara sensei in Tokyo, and their rigorous conditioning.

Seth demonstrated a very powerful and highly technical Uechi on the floor...good job my friend, hope to see you again soon.

But equally impressive is Seth's new business venture you see in the link above.
Quote:
“People sell their used scales on eBay. You extract the Wi-Fi key, and if you know where the seller lived [such as from the return label on the box used to ship the device], you could compromise their home Wi-Fi,” Munro said. Gaining Wi-Fi access could be a boon to a stalker or somebody looking to break into your home, he added—especially if you have connected other devices to it, such as a door lock.

https://the-parallax.com/2015/12/22/the ... echnology/

Post subject: Re: The Parallax news
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:06 pm 

We will be tracked no matter where we are.

Quote:
The Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications & Information Administration last year began hosting meetings with business and consumer privacy groups to form a code of conduct for using facial recognition. Despite aligned intentions, nine privacy and consumer groups this summer abandoned the NTIA process, citing a crucial disagreement.

“People should be able to walk down a public street without fear that companies they’ve never heard of are tracking their every movement—and identifying them by name—using facial-recognition technology,” several of the groups, including the EFF and Consumer Watchdog, said in a statement explaining their walkout. “Unfortunately, we have been unable to obtain agreement even with that basic, specific premise.”