Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Failure is fun!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 am 

I know the theme, fear preparedness , cognitive freeze , preperation.

Martial skill , familiarity , confidence.

Well ~ Im going to suggest a paradigm shift to get there.

Lets invest in failure, lets change the game.

Lets stop building the mindset of confidence and preparedness , and try some other game.

How about lets build resiliance and adaptability.

Lets fight from failure , lets get comfortable in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Dont start from a perfect stance a perfect distance , start from disadvantage with or without a slap to the head to add some sauce.

Get comfortable with being a victim , a looser , kill your ego and practice not being a quiter.

Learn its not just technical but emotional.

Learn that when it all turns to #####, your not all #####

Give it all be before they take it all, find your failure , worship at the alter of failure , find it , make it harder push that limit to you cant until you can , then return for more knowing its your only true sensei.The only one that will stick it out.

You need to fail more to succeed

You need to find character and kill ego.

You need to tear down to build up or your just drawing pictures in the sky.

Then the wins will come , and you will change.

Hapv ,position of failure, need , solution adaptation , hapv adaptation , position of failure , need solution adaptation.

Rinse repeat .

Any thoughts? , how does the regular class address this reality?

Priest of mars ? Forged from failure

Post subject: Re: Failure is fun!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:40 pm 

This is a very good thread, Marcus, thanks.

Much to think about.
Quote:
The problem is _failure might be a great teacher, but it is also a cryptic one. Figuring out its lessons is no easy task, especially when we're still nursing a bruised ego and swimming in frustration, disappointment, and demoralization, not to mention the occasional embarrassment, resentment, and hopelessness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:42 pm 

Working from failure needs a very intelligent approach as Marcus outlines, or it can break the spirit, especially if it involves very high ranking people...who might do worse than beginners.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:13 pm 

Very true Van , and experience reflects this. But its the reality one truly developing needs to face.

Ego is a difficult thing .

Which is to me why starting from failure ( for intermediate and above students) is so benificial.

They have not been pressured to failure , but begin there, theyhave already lost and are at disadvantage, so any win is a triumph.

The goal is to end with a win. Start with a loss. If you fail you try and try again , the losss was already there and not entirely yours, the victory is yours in its entirety.

I beleive the general paradigm is the opposite, start with a perfect form/drill and focus on errors

Group commitment and encouragement, rewarding spirit and tenacity even in failure. A healthy understanding of reality and mortality even for the advanced.

And a realignment of ego , not on some imaginary toughness but in respectfull truth seeking and personal awareness/development

A comradery through work , not ego , not which belt or imaginary pecking order.

Truly fun stuff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:46 pm 

Good post, Marcus. I think tony Blauer has this approach in his training.

It becomes a revelation when having felt invincible, one is suddenly out of breath with glassy eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 pm 

Blauer is a great resource

Lots of variations on the theme possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 am 

Agree. Here's Blauer

https://combativecorner.wordpress.com/tag/tony-blauer/

Quote:
Imagine for a moment losing a real street fight. Imagine the impact on your confidence, dignity and pride. Imagine if you were hurt and couldn’t train or possibly go to work for several weeks. Imagine if when you “physically” recovered you were gun-shy in sparring. Imagine all this.

At the time of the attack you took too long to recognize the danger, hesitated and as you started to react you were knocked to the ground and though you put up a valiant effort you were beaten.

Upon reflection you realized that you lost this fight for several reasons:
1.Your actual understanding of the theories of “intuitive radar”, “attacker profiles”, “sucker punch psychology” and “fear management” were limited.
2.Actually, you never did “sucker punch” drills.
3.You had never done “threshold and pain tolerance training” or
4.Worked on “ballistic ground fighting” and
5.You never analyzed natural stances.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 am 

Theres actually traditional ways to this too Van

http://uechi-ryu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13040

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:56 am 

"Lets fight from failure , lets get comfortable in the mud and the blood and the beer."

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:59 pm 

Thanks for resurrecting that nice thread, Marcus, you have a 'vaulted' memory.

It is really how we all learn, by discussions and practice of 'understood dynamics'..

It is the 'understanding' that really eludes so many of us...who totally rely on standard rote practice and never even seen a real fight, much less being in one.

This is something we need to accept without feeling 'dissed' because it is just common sense.

It’s like the question that was asked on Rick’s forum about being a good driver:

Quote:
“Are you a good driver in Europe? New York? With a six speed stick shift? On steep winding hills with a stick shift? Moving forward from a dead stop, on a steep grade in first gear with a stick shift?”

I have driven in Europe for many years, before coming to the states and after, in my many trips back...it takes a couple of days to get over the 'driving shock' while nudging your subconscious to return the old driving skills...

Driving is even more dangerous because of this that always shocks Americans
Quote:
Driving down the street anywhere in Europe, listening to the radio, you will hear the "f-bomb" dropped in a song, among many other American taboo words. You'll drive by a bus stop with an advertisement with either nudity or profanity, or both.

And billboards on the highway will have giant naked women, advertising a wide variety of things, including "adult services".

Television shows and movies on regular cable channels will have scenes that only premium-paid channels can show in the US. Even Comedy Central, which pushes the envelope in the US and is still heavily censored, is completely uncensored all day in Europe.

One other 'habitual act of violence' in Europe is the 'flashing' by young prostitutes as you drive by some sections of town...with some interesting unexpected consequencesImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm 

Rick Wilson wrote:
"Lets fight from failure , lets get comfortable in the mud and the blood and the beer."

Absolutely!

Let's not forget the urine and the vomit.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:26 pm 

Postby Mark Weitz » 28 Dec 2004 09:50

Hello everyone, been months since I've posted.

I hope every one has had quality time with family, friends, and great food during the holidays. Whatever your celebration is, I wish you all a healthy and happy new year.

Re the rear bear hug over the arms, very difficult if you're caught by surprise and your dealing with someone who can totally engulf you, take away your air, and lift you off the ground.

I like the Seisan defence though others here have pointed out limitations. One of my former teachers, who is quite short, though highly skilled, showed me some techniques that, while they don't look pretty or completely break the hold, can be effective in reducing the amount of air lost, controlling the lift of the ground, and starting to inflict pain.

I've had students who are much bigger and stronger than I am occasionally bear hug me over the arms, complete the hold and lift me off the ground. My old buddy, "Judo John", showed me you can take either of your legs (look down to see which of your partner's is closest) and hook your foot/lower shin behind his leg. If you do this well, it prevents a very high lift, and makes his movements unbalanced, while slightly weakening the grab. Often the grab is at or above your elbows, so curl your arms up and with both hands grab one of his hands - usually one of your opponent's hands will be in front of your body, and pull down. This prevents excessive force into your diaphragm. The combo of the leg hook/hand grab can be very effective in limiting the more violent jerking and air loss.

While these techniques are getting set, you can work your head butt, if his head is level with yours, but the most effective move my old teacher showed was small finger manipulation. This guy was a master of inflicting pain, finding parts of the body/skin to grab and tear and dig into. I've seen him grabbed hard by many students and he was always able to find a digit that he could bend or dig his finger nail into the nail bed, cuticle, or grab flesh on the arm and twist and claw away.

Perhaps one of the hardest things to do because of adrenaline is relaxing your body and making yourself heavy - most of us tense up when grabbed making the body easy to lift as one unit. Eventually, hopefully, the guy tires lugging you around. The bear hug seems to be a transition technique to control and then slam you into something or for women grab and haul them to the ground or into a car. The above isn't perfect and there's always a what if but I've found them helpful in training for the bone crushing grab. Give it a try. You'd be surprised how much the leg hook can screw up someone's balance and hold on you.

Take care,

Mark
Mark Weitz Posts: 399Joined: 27 Feb 2004 11:27Location: Toronto, Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:29 pm 

Keep reading the two threads back and forth...lots to learn from our Highlander brothers...

by Rick Wilson » 28 Dec 2004 15:56

The bear hug from behind over the arms: The Seisan move works okay as long as the guy grabbing you has his arms above your elbows. I have a friend who used it in real life.

However, as soon as they hold you low down on your arms this move will not work against a strong person.

This is my student Randy’s favourite move to put on someone because he is very strong, has long arms and his arms do not react to pressure points.

Laird: “Randy put a bear hug on me a few weeks ago that took all my air. he had his thumb in my solor plexus. I was done. If you don't have a quick resonse because you train this stuff all the time, you may not have any response at all, you don't have long when a monster is crushing you!”

All the moves suggested so far will have some effect IF the guy has grabbed you above the elbows. If he has grabbed you below then you cannot do the Seisan move or strike his hands etc.

The approach to take is one of graduated results.

1. Kick back into the shins with your heel. Even with conditioned shins this has a slightly distracting effect.
2. Okay this one may seem weird unless you have used it. I learned it from Trevor Tessier the Jujitsu instructor who taught at all my camps. It is a body vibration or shake. Basically you rapidly vibrate your body using your shoulder to try and strike back at their head.

Now if they are holding you properly you will not hit them but the vibrations and the avoidance of the strikes accomplishes two things: it loosens their grip very slightly and it distracts them some more.

3. As your are body shaking use rapid jerks to pull one of your hands up (lead with the elbow) the slight loosening of the grip and the “jerking” of the pulling of the arm should extract it from the bear hug.

Now you are in a different hold with one of your hands free where you can strike the back of their gripping hands with a shoken. Break a grappler’s hands and they have a harder time holding on to you.

It was Trevor who taught me the graduated approach. If someone has you in a hold that you cannot get out of then use graduated attacks to slightly and continually gain some advantage and change the hold into something you can escape from.

This is no guarantee (there are none) but against Randy I have found it has the most success.
Rick Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 pm 

Quote:
HAV #37 body fluid attack....and you thought there was no delayed death touch :roll:
Laird

This would be difficult to train with from a position of failure...

And no matter how many times I have brought this 'bodily fluid' attack danger once you close the distance with an opponent...most people ignore it as it would never happen, like biting...where this Brockton detective lost half of his nose to a vicious bite from someone he allowed to get too close.

Continue to ignore it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:16 pm 

How about the case at the Pat's game where a guy keeled over with a heart attack and a grimy punk pissing all over him.