Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 pm 

These are a couple of 'fast hands' drills I teach at our Bridgewater dojo.

I post them to show that Uechi Ryu, does indeed have fast hands when taught correctly. But the most important part of the drills still remains in the distancing and reaction timing of the fireworks which must configure from the Uechi Syllabus.

I may post in the near future the 'power attack' drills one is apt to encounter on the street, and my views on how to deal with that incoming force that has a killing potential.

Here we have two of my top students, Mike Murphy, and Peter Blackman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-8CoA ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:25 am 

It looks pretty quick to me :D Peter can move with blinding speed.

And Mike Murphy, was just taking it easy.

Mike is a former heavy weight boxer trained by Petronelli. Pretty tough customer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:36 am 

Nice clip Van thanks for sharing.

Uechi is so concise i cant fathom it not being truly quick.

I kind of think amoungst all the other factors speeds a desire thing , you just got to work at it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 pm 

Quote:
I kind of think amoungst all the other factors speeds a desire thing , you just got to work at it.
Stryke

Very true...randomized _hand speed/footwork speed drills _ are critical to any workout and promote fast twitch reflexes as well as a 'read' of imminent attack.

But there will be teachers who will say 'That's not Uechi' :wink: I had one such person in my class uttering that out of frustration for not being able to move fast enough out of an incoming truck in the dojo...because the truck had to be 'blocked' in the Uechi way...whatever that means.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:49 pm 

Here's a soccer-cone speed drill we should set up in the dojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7e4VkCZeZg

The speed drills I teach at our dojo help you improve your reaction time and develop quick-twitch muscle fibers which will help you change direction more quickly and improve your breakaway and counterattack speed.

And they are all based on the rote forms.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:54 pm 

Right on it Van. Speed kills. Most of the time, hand speed is determined by hand set up. Carrying the hands in the 10 & 2 position is very helpful for hand speed. I refer to it as having a "Hair Trigger". Being blessed with fast twitch fibers does help, but the hair trigger can be developed. To hit a baseball far you must have a fast bat. Golf is the same. Striking a soccer ball is in the same category. To hit hard with lots of penetration, you must develop fast hands. To knock that incoming attack off line, you must also have fast hands. Working on "Bob", or the heavy bag, with proper hand placement is always good. Fast hands can be developed. You can strike many times very fast , when you have fast hands. Like a semi-automatic. -----Art

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:52 pm 

Always good points Art.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:19 pm 

My speed drills also involve angling footwork that with practice makes my students very fast on their feet placing them at 'flanking positions' to an attacker in ways they cannot be 'tracked' as I see lots of students setting themselves up fixated on the sanchin stance and standard blocks.

They all think they are safe, until they come up against a real big, strong, and fast attacker, who just runs them down like a pick up truck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:33 pm 

Dont worry about the thats not Uechi crowd Van

Its just a fear off failure, theyll continue peddling buggy whips in the age of ferraris , protecting their art and ensuring its demise into irrelavence as a martial art.

Results speak for themselves as to method

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:55 pm 

I hear you Marcus. Not only I don't worry about them, I really laugh at them for not understanding the concepts they reject being very much part of Uechi based on rote moves.

What has always baffled me over the years, and also entertained in a sense, is the total lack of 'tactical think' [TT]_ in some very advanced and high rank practitioners.

It is precisely the lack of 'TT' that killed that Black belt champion in the dark stairwell that night... and some readers are still thinking 'technique'.

I equate them to holders of gun permits who go to the range twice a year shooting paper targets at 25 yards, and feeling very proud about the 'groups' of their shots...believing it is all they need to be able to use that gun to save their lives when someone is really trying to kill them.

They will go out and buy the latest .45 with all the bells and whistles, but will not spend one red cent to attend a course at the lethal force Institute to learn how to use that gun under 'kill or be killed' conditions.

Those will be the lose cannons to watch out for _if a shooting breaks out at the mall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:23 am 

Speed drills must also be practiced from a position of a relaxed state, hands down by your side, much like the old European 'Rapier and cloak' style based on the assumption that you’ve ended up in a combat situation with little or no warning, and are using what you have readily available for defense; in this case, your cloak.

They should also be practiced from the Rory's 'Dracula's cape' instinctual cover up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:32 am 

I was always fascinated by the art of fencing and came close to joining a fencing club a couple of times.

This article lays out the intricacies of it...http://www2.nau.edu/~wew/rapier.htm

Great reading.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:50 am 

I hear you Van , kind of what i was getting to on the flurry thread. And the fighting fromfailure thread

Getting there firstest with the mostest

Best style means little tactical thinking comes from practice.

Best style ive seen is ecky thump which disproved the nonsense a long time ago.

Ive done some fencing and one of my dan students did a lot of it.

Speed from relaxed is important , actually its the key to real short power.

It all gets to that intellectual ryu level, complete bs thoughts and ideas used to seperate.

All there really is is cans and cannots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:58 am 

Quote:
Speed from relaxed is important , actually its the key to real short power.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Ive done some fencing and one of my dan students did a lot of it.

Must have been fun. Did you find any correlation principles to martial arts?